Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Snowboard shipping 101.

bump. really bummed that this isnt a sticky. this and HOW TO POST PHOTOS too

Ebay...

I constantly refer eBay board sellers to this post - they are trying to get $35, $40 even $50 for shipping a board, and cutting their own throats on the selling price at the same time.
    Altitude is Everything

well...almost everyone overcharges for shipping, and they pocket the excess. people factor shipping into their bidding, so...if it sells for $185 with $15 shipping, its the same as $175 with $25, sorta...

personally I used to charge the exact amount for shipping...giving a quote for each and every item, but I never factored in the boxes and packing materials I was buying, so I started just charging average prices for stuff...$15 for rack gear, etc...

but yes, people charge way too much for shipping. It's rather annoying but another part of the ebay thing

another cardboard source

You don't really need a long box...anything that's 2ft on an edge will open up to 2ft x 8ft. Toy stores that sell bulky objects (Barbie Urban Drive-By Wagon, or whatever) have nice, thick cardboard boxes they toss on a weekly basis.

joe...

Another Box Place...

Your local cemetery that uses bronze markers (not tombstones). I know that Matthews ships in some pretty long boxes, and if you just ask a maintenance worker they'll be more than happy to give you a few.

My family owns cemeteries and whenever I've shipped snowboards I've nabbed two boxes and just slid it in - almost all are about 26" wide and x" long. After you've got the boxes split for the board just wrap it in bubble wrap (apply some extra cardboard to the tail and the tip).

Easy. Quick. Safe. And they look professional to boot!

When it comes to shipping I'm extremely anal. When I sent in my Mamiya equipment to KEH Camera two weeks ago I went through a TON of bubble wrap. Not to mention that it was a box in a box in a box with three layers of BW in between each .
    Last edited by Thomas_S; January 11th, 2006 at 06:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by joecarve
    You don't really need a long box...anything that's 2ft on an edge will open up to 2ft x 8ft. Toy stores that sell bulky objects (Barbie Urban Drive-By Wagon, or whatever) have nice, thick cardboard boxes they toss on a weekly basis.

joe...
    joe...my main post was about not needing a long box. check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas_S
    Your local cemetery that uses bronze markers (not tombstones). I know that Matthews ships in some pretty long boxes, and if you just ask a maintenance worker they'll be more than happy to give you a few.

My family owns cemeteries and whenever I've shipped snowboards I've nabbed two boxes and just slid it in - almost all are about 26" wide and x" long. After you've got the boxes split for the board just wrap it in bubble wrap (apply some extra cardboard to the tail and the tip).

Easy. Quick. Safe. And they look professional to boot!

When it comes to shipping I'm extremely anal. When I sent in my Mamiya equipment to KEH Camera two weeks ago I went through a TON of bubble wrap. Not to mention that it was a box in a box in a box with three layers of BW in between each .
    likely going way overboard...and you have to keep size in mind when shipping a board. a 26" wide box would add up to some major oversize charges

Quote Originally Posted by D-Sub
    likely going way overboard...and you have to keep size in mind when shipping a board. a 26" wide box would add up to some major oversize charges
    Sometimes. A few different sizes are available, but 26" wide is the most commonly available.
    Anyhow, awesome guide!

I go WAY overboard . I should show you the pictures I took of the camera gear I recently packed .

I dunno..."just enough" is good for me...always has been

bubble isnt that good for snowboards cuz once it pops youre bummed, and if you go overboard with a snowboard you run into size contraints.

Great info, but...

Great info D-Sub! However, be warned the max size limits when using USPS - for domestic shipment the combined length + girth must be less than 130" - easy enough, but for International (ie Canada) max size is 108" and USPS will not accept it.
    I just tried to ship a package to Ottawa using a standard snowboard box (got from one of the nice guys at REI) - for a 166cm board, the box fit very closely, with not more than a couple cm at either end for cladding & padding, measured 67" x 15.5" x 5.5" 13.5lbs. Now the measurements are rounded up to the nearest whole number which means 67" x 16" x 6", and 14 lbs. Max size = 111" and they won't touch it.
    FedEx Ground is a !&*%ing nightmare to deal with, International shipments MUST have an FedEx account setup to create the Int'l barcode Airbill and Commercial Invoice.
    Happy riding.
    Joe

Joe

thing is...you dont need a box that big, especially not for an alpine board

this method I recommended...the wrap method, is protection enough for the most part, and even on a LONG board will come in under the size requirements.

odd y ou say that about fedex ground, as I shipped plenty of stuff to canada via ground before I had an account, but of course things could have changed.

anyway, the 15" and 5" on your box are just way bigger than necessary. the method I described was a way to avoid the problems you encountered

ALSO, keep in mind that if you took that box down to the post office...they dont use a tape measure...they use a string, wrap it around the box, then down the length, and if the total is inside that string lentgh youre ok
    If death leads to eternal bliss why are you wearing a seatbelt?

The box fit well.

It was not a narrow board, and the box fit it well. I might have been able to cut the box lengthwise and remove a very small amount of cardboard at nose and tail, but I didn't want to risk a damaged board to the buyer. The guys at the Post Office were actually being cool and trying to help me out, BUT because it will get re-examined at LAX, if it is 1/2" over max size it will get bounced right back to my door with loss of $ spent of postage.
    Try and ship a bigger board (maybe a Tanker) and see what they tell you.
    I spent about 4 hours with FedEx, taking detailed notes and contact numbers - it's a byzantine system, but still cheaper than UPS or DHL. FedEX store made me go out to the main FedEx center at LAX to ship it - ther the guy at the FedEx counter literally told me that he would recommend an alternate courier for International Ground shipments...how's that? I was super friendly and polite thru the process but it's a ridiculous system.

dunno what to tell ya, man. Ive shipped many, many snowboards...only up to 185 so far...tanker might be a problem...

binding shipping

just a thought on the same line. bindings generally fit in the flat rate box priority mail. you can send them insured for just over ten bucks. It must be something fairly new as the ebay crowd always wants to send them ups for twenty.

something wrong there. unless things have changed drastically.

something wrong there. unless things have changed drastically.
    Sometimes it's just dumb employees who don't understand how thing works. You can sometimes go back another day at the same place or go at another one and it will be OK. They don't go to Postal Service Clerk school, so they don't work the same way.
    http://derf.dyndns.org/~derf/snowboard/ (back online, but slow)

• Old snowboard catalogs
    • Snowboard shops in and around Montréal that carry alpine equipment
    --
    For sale: Salomon X-Scream 173 cm - MEC Gore-Tex women's medium pants
    --
    “Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.” - H.G. Wells
    --
    Derf

Exclamation Board packaging

I am very surprised that not one person mentioned Bryan S's tutorial on board packing and shipping on his site: www.oldsnowboards.com

No fluff, just very simple, inexpensive methods developed through Bryan's trial and error. Bubble wrap SUCKS for shipping boards! Too bulky and nowhere near as effective as simple cardboard in terms of protection.

I've sent many a board wrapped up per his instructions and I promise you that they are bulletproofed!

-Charles
    Remember,...everything smells the same to a midget in an elevator.

did you read the first few posts? I went through how to pack boards step by step...

people are ODD sometimes. Bryan's tips are useful, obviously, but theyre not here. When I did this people were asking constantly how to ship snowboards

the method I showed comes out a little neater, too, and is more efficient.

Ow!!!

Ah do believes dat ah just been bitchslapped!
    Remember,...everything smells the same to a midget in an elevator.

nah, man...aint that serious...and I couldnt really expect that youd read the whole thread, BUT, that is exactly what it was about.

either way works.

Whatever way you guys ship, GET INSURANCE!!! Delivery confirmations are also useful, or signature required, etc. I can't tell you how many things USPS, UPS, and Fed Ex has lost in my shipping experience. Also remember that USPS regular First class or Airmail Parcel Post has no tracking abilities. If they lose it, too bad. Fed Ex and UPS cost a bit more, but they can usually track your package.

Great job D-Sub!
    Expert in particular carvers with special needs

I tried. funny thing is, everything I said keeps getting reiterated. Insurance, different shipping methods, tracking (btw, not even Priority Mail has a real tracking number. Delivery confirmation is NOT tracking and only tells you if your package was delivered or not)

but yes, insurance is a very good idea, although I personally have never had anything lost that I can remember, but Im sure it happens!

(btw, not even Priority Mail has a real tracking number. Delivery confirmation is NOT tracking and only tells you if your package was delivered or not)
    I was definitely trying to reiterate what you said, because it's so unbeliveably important (ok, we're not talking life or death, but losing a $500+ snowboard can strap someone finacially). Delivery confirmation is NOT tracking, you are right and sorry if I made it sound that way. It just seems that if you pay a little extra, and the postal service knows they are a bit more responsible, they take a little extra care. I've had quite a few things lost, and to get compensation back is a nightmare. Just a forewarning from someone who ships A LOT.

I still that that took you a lot of time and effort, and you covered a ton of information! once again, great job!
    Expert in particular carvers with special needs

gotcha. had kinda hoped this would be locked so as to keep it concise. conversations muddy things up a bit.

but yes, insurance is a MUST unless you simply dont care what happens.

Thumbs down DO NOT use Fed Ex Ground

Good job D-Sub

I found out recently that Fed Ex Ground is NOT the same quality company as Fed Ex Overnight. Just call them, they admit it

Fed Ex Ground is a lot cheaper than Fed Ex Overnight. Fed Ex Ground uses independent drivers that DO NOT drive Fed Ex trucks. Here today, gone tomorrow

My co-worker had an important package sent to her by Fed Ex Ground a couple of weeks ago, the driver lied that he delivered it, then lied about dropping it at a different house, then after she said that security camera tapes will be reviewed...he delivered it This dope didn't even face up to her, he dropped it at the doorstep and ran off after a week later.

Fed Ex Ground is very sad, you have been warned.

--Hugh
    On edge, all of the time...

odd about the contractors? Ive seen many, many FedEx Ground vehicles in SoCal, and I have shipped literally hundreds, if not pushing 1000, packages with them, and have never had a single incident like you are describing. I've never had a lost package, and have only had 2 or 3 damaged.

I honestly think the quality of the service of these companies is regional. Ask around in different areas and you will find complaints about every single shipping service out there.

wait...I did have one package partially lost through FedEx. I shipped a board and boot combo to Telluride by creating a funny box...the board was lost...but it was largely in part to my funny packaging.

but they paid the claim.

One more tip not covered here so far: when shipping between US and Canada, avoid UPS ground and Fedex ground. They both charge ridiculous brokerage fees, especially UPS. That $10 CD from ebay can end up costing you $60 once you get slapped with the brokerage fees.

Neil:

Something to consider heavily with UPS, FedEx, and other non-government carriers is the brokerage fees that will be imposed. I do not understand exactly how this works, but these fees add heavily to the cost for the recipient!

ways to reduce cost for international shipment from US to XXX:

• less insurance (please assess risk of loss or damage!!!)
    • declare low value (can only be done with lower insurance)
    • declare USED item with NO COMMERCIAL VALUE (write on package)
    • declare GIFT on customs form
    Results will vary, obviously

shipping calculators for the big three:

http://postcalc.usps.gov/
    http://www.fedex.com/ratefinder/home?cc=US&language=en
    http://wwwapps.ups.com/calTimeCost?loc=en_US

None of those work with UPS ground, I think. They ding you 40-50 bucks everytime, near as I can tell, even on items valued very low.

The real trick is to use a service with reasonable brokerage fees such as EMS or DHL.

right...I was just saying I had already...oh youre talking shipping from Canada to US

what about Canada Post or whatever it is?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information