Thread: Boards on the podium?

Boards on the podium?

A ski buddy of mine told me that the snowboarders like to take their boards up onto the podium. He's certainly right, as evidenced by the photos at http://www.bomberonline.com/VBulleti...a-Huge-Success

We brain-stormed why - sponsorships, endorsement deals. Shop or local hill deals. Genuine happiness with the product from the manufacturer. Popularizing the alpine sport. Those were my guesses.

Why do folks take their boards up onto the podium, though?

P

To be sure to not be confused with skiers ????
    Stephane

Ever watch ski racing on TV? You see skiers immediately pop one ski off and place it next to their face as the camera zooms in for the interview? Same reasons as you speculate, not-so-subtle product placement--a winner's endorsment of the equipment, if you kiss the ski, even better. Boards are like billboards compared to skis, lots of room for other sponsor's logos and stickers, but FIS has rules about the size of the advertisements a racer can wear. They apparently don't want it to look like a NASCAR race.

if i could get a podium finish on a binding-less board, i'd have it up there with me.

If I had to guess at least at USASA nationals and Alpine riders, it is kind of a thank you to the manufaturers. Many of us have a very close personnal relationship with those manufaturers and it is a small way to say thanks for making us a great product that got us on the podium.

Alex
    Yuck!!!!

Many athletes get a little cash from sponsors when they "podium" a board. I know I took my Kessler to the podium a few years ago, not to thank Kessler, but because I had my club logo/sticker on the board as well as show off my Bomber Sidewinders!

This year, my athlete wanted to give Sean Martin a little publicity, and took his Donek to the top. Nothing more- nothing less.
    Ski Roundtop Race Club Snowboard Team
    facebook - SUNDAY SCHOOL SNOWBOARD RACING

Thread Information