Thread: Is this possible?

Is this possible?

The ability to slow yourself down carving heelside on steep/hardpack conditions on a normal freeride board with softboots and angles about 15deg. I always build speed up on heelsides. I saw a guy doing it once but with much higher angles. If it is possible I guess I'll keep trying.

Should be possible, but the heel-cup overhang at 15 degrees is going to limit how tightly you can carve a turn on heelside to control your speed. That is to say from looking at your avatar I don't think you could put the board as high on edge in a heelside as you have it on toeside without burying the heel cups and lifting the edge out of the snow. In order to solve the geometrical issue you could try a riser.
    "At one point I was seeing my bootfitter so much my wife was begining to think I was having an affair with him."

I don't think so, unless you get free ride boards from reputable alpine board manufacturers eg coiler donek swoard virus etc...
    I can't point out exactly but I recon flex pattern for average freeride boards is "wrong" for g-force carving. And with 15 degrees rear there will be boot out at the heel cup. I fount it out hard way, tried with never summer Titan and ended up dislocating my left shoulder due to washout.

Well, if there is space, you could always hold the carve slightly uphill, to controll the speed...
    Or just "slarve" ever so slightly to increase the friction.
    INSTRUCTION | CASI L2 - hard boots all the way! | Vancouver Carvers' Diaries 2013/14 | Items for sale

I'm not going to touch this one. Ok... it's possible. 24/9 with flows=no heel cup drag. But I do get a bit of a warble in my heelside especially when the legs are done for the day
    "The older I get, the better I was" Old Guys Rule...

Definitely. Skill and setup are the key of course. As stated, you need to minimize boot out. This can be done with board width. risers, binding angles, and properly centering your boot/binding on the board. When setting up bindings, it's important to look at possible angulation, not total overhang. Lay a straight edge against the board edge and the boot to see what angle you will boot out. You'll find both feet are centered differently because the board is narrower at the heel on the front foot and narrower at the toe on the back foot. Check out this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZb1gDrYf0U
    Last edited by Donek; April 7th, 2012 at 11:07 AM.
    Sean Martin - president/founder
    Donek Snowboards Inc.
    smartin@donek.com
    www.donek.com
    phone:877-53-DONEK

what does he mean by "this"?
    Am i missing something?

Quote Originally Posted by srodeo View Post
    what does he mean by "this"?
    Am i missing something?
    The ability to slow yourself down carving heelside on steep/hardpack conditions on a normal freeride board with softboots and angles about 15deg.
    Not worded particularly well.
    Personal Messaging is NOT working. Please post your email to make contact.
    SEARCHING TIP: go to GOOGLE and add this to the end of your search terms- site:bomberonline.com

Thread Information