Thread: Spring/summer 2012 video updates

Spring/summer 2012 video updates

The first update for this spring.

Sean Martin - president/founder
    Donek Snowboards Inc.
    smartin@donek.com
    www.donek.com
    phone:877-53-DONEK

Sean, Cool video. Your Right Foot inside cant mechanism on the boot cuff is toast. Watch the movement in the video in relation to the boot lower boot shell. You might want to take care of that unless you like the movement. Glad to hear you have a new Japanese distributor. Good opportunity for you over there since most the European boards are going for over $2000. Demo time in Japan for next season orders is starting about now. Hope it works out well for you. Take care, Tom

Wow. You are right. I'll have Fin bring up some parts next week.

Quote Originally Posted by Miltie View Post
    Sean, Cool video. Your Right Foot inside cant mechanism on the boot cuff is toast. Watch the movement in the video in relation to the boot lower boot shell. You might want to take care of that unless you like the movement. Glad to hear you have a new Japanese distributor. Good opportunity for you over there since most the European boards are going for over $2000. Demo time in Japan for next season orders is starting about now. Hope it works out well for you. Take care, Tom
    Donek Snowboards Inc.
    smartin@donek.com
    www.donek.com

Sean, did you decide if you are going to share your camera mount ideas?

Nice job once again. Really smooth action.

Good catch Tom on the cant.
    Personal Messaging is NOT working. Please post your email to make contact.
    SEARCHING TIP: go to GOOGLE and add this to the end of your search terms- site:bomberonline.com

Quote Originally Posted by www.oldsnowboards.com View Post
    Sean, did you decide if you are going to share your camera mount ideas?

Nice job once again. Really smooth action.

Good catch Tom on the cant.
    Shared this last spring, but here it is:

It's simply a mini ball head screwed to the chin guard hole on my helmet and a sanyo exacti. The mini ball head can be purchased for less than $25. It looks like the camera has been discontinued though.
    Donek Snowboards Inc.
    smartin@donek.com
    www.donek.com

Cool Sean, I do remember the helmet mount now. Does it have a remote? You can look at the video on the chair or lunch if you want. The bummer with the Go Pro is you can't tell if you even had it pointed correctly until you get home.

What I was really after was the binding/board mount you were working on? Maybe I am confusing someone else's mount?

Thanks again, really nice job.
    Personal Messaging is NOT working. Please post your email to make contact.
    SEARCHING TIP: go to GOOGLE and add this to the end of your search terms- site:bomberonline.com

The bummer with the Go Pro is you can't tell if you even had it pointed correctly until you get home.
    http://gopro.com/hd-hero-accessories/lcd-bacpac/
    It's not perfect, but it removes that problem. Pretty tiny screen, decreases battery life, and adds weight on the side of your helmet. I typically only use it to set the camera up and then leave it in a bag. When using the wide angle setting I just roughly point it by eye and it's good enough.

http://gopro.com/hd-hero-accessories...-remote-combo/
    This looks cool if you're a smartphone user. I'd bet battery life will be sacrificed even more.

Cool Sean, I do remember the helmet mount now. Does it have a remote? You can look at the video on the chair or lunch if you want. The bummer with the Go Pro is you can't tell if you even had it pointed correctly until you get home.

What I was really after was the binding/board mount you were working on? Maybe I am confusing someone else's mount?

Thanks again, really nice job.
    The sanyo is just a typical camcorder. The screen flips out. When I'm filming, I open it, flip the screen 180 degrees and then close it again. I do a test recording with the helmet on my head and take it off to review what I shot to confirm it is pointed in the correct direction. The gopro mount is something fin created to attach to the Bomber binding. It is the device used in Fin's clip here: http://www.bomberonline.com/VBulleti...arch-15th-2012
    Donek Snowboards Inc.
    smartin@donek.com
    www.donek.com

Quote Originally Posted by corey_dyck View Post
    http://gopro.com/hd-hero-accessories/lcd-bacpac/
    It's not perfect, but it removes that problem. Pretty tiny screen, decreases battery life, and adds weight on the side of your helmet. I typically only use it to set the camera up and then leave it in a bag. When using the wide angle setting I just roughly point it by eye and it's good enough.

http://gopro.com/hd-hero-accessories...-remote-combo/
    This looks cool if you're a smartphone user. I'd bet battery life will be sacrificed even more.
    Both those devices look pretty cool. Perhaps there's finally something that makes the gopro a semi usable device. They still need to make a case that tightens the angle of view. It's current viewing angle is too wide for safe use as a follow cam.
    Donek Snowboards Inc.
    smartin@donek.com
    www.donek.com

The Hero2 has a selectable field of view. I agree about the original, I`ve had a couple of close calls with the original while doing chase cam stuff.

Can't say much about camera but so glad Mark Kress finally got himself helmet and like always fun to watch him surfing.
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueB View Post
    "Honney, some people collect stickers, some collect cars, some collect... girlfriends."

I spent the day at A-basin with Mark Kress, Thedo Remelink, and Converse Fields. We're working on some new plate stuff that's really pushing the envelope. We will definitely be releasing some new plates next year. It's looking like there will be difference models for different applications and riding styles.
    Donek Snowboards Inc.
    smartin@donek.com
    www.donek.com

I'm headed to Mt Hood with Todd Brown tomorrow. We will be doing some final testing of the new plate technologies. We have 3 days there, so we should get some nice video footage.
    Donek Snowboards Inc.
    smartin@donek.com
    www.donek.com

Quote Originally Posted by Donek View Post
    I'm headed to Mt Hood with Todd Brown tomorrow. We will be doing some final testing of the new plate technologies. We have 3 days there, so we should get some nice video footage.
    What an awesome trip and we got some great video footage. I will edit it this weekend and post soon.
    Donek Snowboards Inc.
    smartin@donek.com
    www.donek.com

So cool to get to see you guys here in Portland. Thanks for taking the time to come and visit with us.
    What an awesome trip and we got some great video footage. I will edit it this weekend and post soon.
    http://www.bomberonline.com/VBulleti...mer-2012/page2

Blow by blow of the Timberline trip

I've just finished the latest video on our testing trip to Mt Hood.
    Donek Snowboards Inc.
    smartin@donek.com
    www.donek.com

Nice

Job

Ah crap you can't do this to me. My season just ended on Saturday, and now I'm all excited for next season already!
    "At one point I was seeing my bootfitter so much my wife was begining to think I was having an affair with him."

Wow, Sean you had some nice air in the park, just make sure your builder doesn't know about it, he'll void your warranty

Thanks for the video update, can't wait to see and try your new Mono-plate system.

Nice work!
    Last edited by GeoffV; May 25th, 2012 at 06:45 AM.

'Constrained hinge' - interesting! If I'm understanding properly, that's similar to what Tinkler did with his adjustable stops just behind the front binding on his plate, but his push directly on the board.

It's staggering how much development is happening with plates! I'm highly interested in going part-way between the fully-isolated feeling of a plate and the 'naked' feeling of bindings right on a board. The isolation from bumps/ripples is awesome, but so is very fine board control and some feedback as to what's going on down there.

this plate's for you

Quote Originally Posted by corey_dyck View Post
    'Constrained hinge' - interesting! If I'm understanding properly, that's similar to what Tinkler did with his adjustable stops just behind the front binding on his plate, but his push directly on the board.

It's staggering how much development is happening with plates! I'm highly interested in going part-way between the fully-isolated feeling of a plate and the 'naked' feeling of bindings right on a board. The isolation from bumps/ripples is awesome, but so is very fine board control and some feedback as to what's going on down there.
    Corey,

If you are looking for the inbetween, this plate is for you. 90% of the benefit of an axel based system, but with all the feel of a naked board. I actually had to do 2 runs without the plate just to prove to myself that it was doing something (and trust me, it is).

You NEED one of these. I was on the fence about plates, until I rode this one. I have no intent of riding with out a plate at all next year.
    ~tb

Nice work, Sean. Thanks for the update.

Thats some hard groom! Great work Sean and Todd.

I just sent out our latest newsletter. If you didn't get one, you can view it here:

http://myemail.constantcontact.com/N...id=EDqGySltKZQ
    Donek Snowboards Inc.
    smartin@donek.com
    www.donek.com

This is a little update on what We've been doing this summer.
    Donek Snowboards Inc.
    smartin@donek.com
    www.donek.com

Thanks Sean, very cool.

Now lets see it GO!!! I want to see the dust/ptex fly!!

Good info. Any chance you could grab that cute 18yr old girl next door and have her give the delivery message?
    Maybe catch her on a day she is in a bikini?? Sorry, did I say that out loud?

Nicely done Sean!!

There's actually no flying p-tex Brian. The drag knife just cuts the base material with a knife. The core cutting has a dust collector foot in the way, so you really don't see much. We try to keep that dust from flying around as much as possible. Core cutting and tapering is actually quite boring to watch as the cutter moves pretty slowly. Here's a video of the new drag knife in action though:

Thanks Sean, very cool.

Now lets see it GO!!! I want to see the dust/ptex fly!!

Good info. Any chance you could grab that cute 18yr old girl next door and have her give the delivery message?
    Maybe catch her on a day she is in a bikini?? Sorry, did I say that out loud?

Nicely done Sean!!
    Donek Snowboards Inc.
    smartin@donek.com
    www.donek.com

Thumbs up Good stuff

Sean, As usual.... good stuff. Like to see your equipment and processes. Batch production is tough especially for low production runs like custom snowboards. Nice ideas to increase your flexibility and improve the lead time. You must a have a lot of cool stuff in the works as you seem really amped for next season. Have good summer and thanks for keeping us updated!! Tom
    Last edited by Miltie; June 30th, 2012 at 09:44 PM. Reason: grammar

Quote Originally Posted by Miltie View Post
    Sean, As usual.... good stuff. Like to see your equipment and processes. Batch production is tough especially for low production runs like custom snowboards. Nice ideas to increase your flexibility and improve the lead time. You must a have a lot of cool stuff in the works as you seem really amped for next season. Have good summer and thanks for keeping us updated!! Tom
    When I bought the 2nd cnc, it was as a backup. While at SES, Kenny and I ate at Breckfast In America. As I watched the cook making hashbrowns, eggs, and many other things all at the same time, I though it would be really cool if we could do that. Within a few minutes I had this scheme lined out and have been dying to put it into action ever since. The next project is a cnc edge bender.
    Donek Snowboards Inc.
    smartin@donek.com
    www.donek.com

The next project is a cnc edge bender.
    will this be another table-type device, or something more akin to a cold rolling mill?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information