Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: anyone hear about kesslers breaking???

Nothing personal.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Varsava View Post
    OK now its getting personal
    Bruce, How is it personal? You build boards, you know boards break? I have seen broken boards with your companys logo on them, I dont blame the manufactor or the way the board was assembled, I understand that the materials used to make the board may fail.

If I would have said Coliers are crap and break all the time and really need to be reworked because of their failure rate, then that would be personal. But that would also be a lie.

But as we both know I enjoy your products, and your pride and craftsmanship that goes into each one.

I have seen boards fail from all manufactors and they as well are trying to make the best product possible.

I am sure you have a high sucsess rate currently and was not questioning the durability of any particular brand including Coiler.

The fact that wood is the core materal and wood fails was my point. Carbon- fails , titinal-fails. **** breaks sometimes. If the breakage is cause by issues with inserts, leverage or forced hinge points then of coarse these designs need to be reworked.

"While I may have walked through a forest and seen a downed tree, I have never seen one properly wrapped in Titanal and glass/carbon have any troubles(-:"

Kesslers, SGs and other manufactors also wrap the wood with Titanal and glass/carbon, and here we are discussing Kesslers breaking. perhaps the arguement would be they are not properly wrapped, but they have failed.

As you can imagine, I have seen the inside of most major types of boards and it is a matter of the way they are assembled with associated reinforcement ( or lack thereof) which can greatly affect the longevity of the board under the stresses of high performance riding.

Since this discussion envoles you and I, I think this is a great statement and one I fully support, I just had to place a SG back into the press to fix a impact issue, I dont blame the SG build quailty but the impact.

I do beleave that this is the case in so many sports that invole racing, that the duribilty of a product is sacrifised in exchange for the proformance characteristics. the water kite race board that wins everything only has about a six month life span but is faster then anything else on the water, intill it breaks or breaks down. If I want a more durable board then I lose proformance, that is the consumers call to make when they buy a board, and the manufactors call when it comes to what type of warrenty they offer. Once a board breaks out side the warrenty period it may never be documented by the manufactor, which keeps you from having to worry about your fingers on the band saw.

If the case you are making is that your boards are more durable then Kesslers based on your warrenty claims, then you should make it here on the forum. The response I made was that all boards break. The fact that I quoted a guy claiming coilers don't break was just by chance, since I have seen boards from all manufactors break. I have never had to warrenty a Coiler becuase I don't sell or ride them.

I hope you enjoy the rest of ECES nice chating with you as always.
    BB
    Hardbooter.com

“Yes, it is much more challenging to ski 210 cm toothpicks. But do you choose to go to the wooden outhouse in the wintertime? Or it is more pleasant to use the indoor toilet instead? Why take challenges from the past when we can go on and challenge us on what’s possible with the current technology?”

Shane McConkey disscussing rockered skis.

Good point Bordy. Many sports offer different construction equipment based upon the needs of the user - eg for kayak racing, users typically own a training boat and a racing boat; the training boat having a few more layers of glass or less carbon and more glass; the race boat would be full foam core/carbon.

You can kind of see that with the boards that go on sale here, often a racer will be trying to sell a backup training board or their main racing stick. Maybe they are same construction, maybe not if full custom; I don't know.

http://translate.google.com/translat...2Fcompare.html

Kessler Japan states that for silver model the durability is around 80 days, 50 days for top racers.

A friend of mine heard that around 10% of Kessler boards get warranty related issues in Japan or Korea.
    I believe this might have been pre-11/12 season though, now Kessler makes the non-custom production boards at Kessler factory so I've heard the durability might have improved.
    Last edited by leeho730; March 2nd, 2012 at 12:58 AM.

Alpine Board Durability

"Kessler Japan states that for silver model the durability is around 80 days, 50 days for top racers." Thank You leeho730! This is the sort of information I need, especially when considering buying a used board.

Bordy is right, of course. Eventually, all boards fail. The problem with a Kessler failing is that it costs twice as much.

I wonder what the durability is for the black model.
    Alcohol does not solve any problems, but then, neither does milk.

The Kessler Japan website says both black and white ones are better than the silver ones in terms of durability.

Maybe this is a case of what really is a Kessler...is it a custom built by HJ in Braunwald or is it a Kessler made elswhere by an OEM manufacturer for Kessler? Is the color of the Kessler indicating what you have? Probably not. At ECES, I saw a couple of board casualties...both involved plates, one Coiler (impact/crash related) and I don't know that anything would have changed the board failure but certainly not related to bruce's work IMO and one Virus on Thursday and maybe it was conditions related..who knows... Equipment breaks-I don't want it to happen to me but figure it will eventually. Finding the appropriate tool for the job is what I think is most necessary, i.e. is riding a Carbon Fiber board in stuff that you could fold the nose on a good idea? Probably not...so I got off of it and put it back in the rack.

Actually I kinda think it's wrong to assume Snowboards are supposed to break. Sure they break but they're classified as equipments not consumables/stationary and thus are supposedly last for x amount of years. For example in Australia and New Zealand if you buy snowboards for business purpose they full depreciate in 2 years. For comparison, a car depreciates in 4 years. That is, according to the law snowboards/skis are supposed to last for 2 years, i.e. about 500 days.

I mean, yeah, according to the tax structure a car is supposed to last 4 years, but you'd be pissed if it breaks down and becomes unusable after 4 years.... Yet somehow we are supposed to accept that if one snowboard can only be used for 80 days it's a norm?

I don't know much but back in the days skis were cheaper but we took greater care and if it got damaged we repaired it and tried to use it as long as possible and we cherishede it.... Nowadays if it breaks we're supposed to buy a new one despite it being equipment not consumable... It's like someone throwing car away because it broke....

We live in the world where spending is a virtue and yeah in alpine snowboarding world we need to keep spending in order to continuously support our niche sport but I recon there gotta be a limit and snowboard manufactueres need to step up and make sure they're durable at least up to what the tax system suggests but what can I say we also live in the world where everyone tries to avoid responsibilities or loathes to do something for free and profit is more important than craftmanship oor have that usual "people will buy anyway so press the ignore button" attitude...

There's a big difference between saying "snowboards can break" and "snowboards are supposed to break". I don't think anyone would agree with the latter.

To use your analogy, cars also break. Even brand new cars break. Could be a manufacturing defect. Could be an accident or driver abuse. Take your brand new Toyota Camry to Nurburgring, run it at the limit for 50 laps and I guarantee it will break.

My hat goes off to snowboard builders for making product that takes the kind of abuse that we dish out. In 20 years of snowboarding, I've only had one board break. It was a Coiler and it was 100% my fault. So there you go - Coilers break. I was so pi**ed off with Bruce and his breakable snowboards that I've bought two more since.
    Last edited by Apex Insider; March 7th, 2012 at 06:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Apex Insider View Post
    I was so pi**ed off with Bruce and his breakable snowboards that I've bought two more since.
    Love it Henry

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information