Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Feb 25/26 at Nakiska

Feb 25/26 at Nakiska

Looks like my skier friend and I will be heading to Nakiska on Saturday. Steve S might also head out.

We're planning on being on hill at around 10 am (slightly later start). We'll keep an eye out for any more crew members.
    Silence is golden. Duct tape is silver.

Dammit I'm in Edmonton this weekend.
    "At one point I was seeing my bootfitter so much my wife was begining to think I was having an affair with him."

Alli, just got home from there. Snow is firm but good. Fairly busy for a Friday. Whoop up off gold chair was groomed and in good shape. Have fun, rip one for your ole pal Bruce.

Nakiska was AMAZING today. I ran top to bottom laps with my skier friend off Silver (we didn't go up Gold because it was socked in, and she was nursing a bung knee). Super grippy, super fast, snow in surprisingly good condition, and more coming down all day. By the time they groom that in tomorrow will be epic out there.

I feel a sick day coming on.

Me too...

Anybody else calling in sick tomorrow? gonna be hero snow, and bluebird..... let's do this !

Nakiska was...........EPIC!

Quote Originally Posted by Another Canuck View Post
    Nakiska was...........EPIC!
    Nice. Almost makes me sad I'm going to Fernie this weekend.

Bring the biggest board you've got! Sunday was thigh deep, Monday waist deep. Lots of people could barely straightline down.

Quote Originally Posted by wantok View Post
    Bring the biggest board you've got! Sunday was thigh deep, Monday waist deep. Lots of people could barely straightline down.
    Right then. I shall tell the tour guide to stay out of the trees, in case they don't find us until the bike park opens...

I hate you guys.

:grumbles all the way back to his scraped-ice runs:

Do you even own a powder-capable board Corey?

Nothing dedicated for powder! My NSR did better than I expected at SES (very minimal tracks), but the 167 VSR was a blast once it got chopped up into soft mini-moguls.

BTW: I now 'get it' for moguls. I made a wrong turn and got stuck in a pretty long black mogul run at SES - no fun at all. But then I took the skier line (zipper?) and could see it being fun and a real challenge to master. I'm sure it looked ugly but I made it through easier than ever before. Neat, but I'll take groom if it's an option.

Moguls are definitely more fun if you have a good board for them. Having the softer boots and flexier bindings like I do is also good. Your setups are likely too stiff but if you're getting after it good on you - you definitely have the skills to do it if you wanted to.

I was at Nakiska today conditions are awesome! The groom is hard and rippable, perfect conditions for carving.

Got my first turns on that polished 187cm WCRM that i bought off Colin earlier this season. Wow ! That board is 14cm longer, 2cm narrower and with an SCR a meter and a half larger than anything I've ridden before, and it railed like a freakin' dream! My mind is blown. So damp, so quiet, I'm sure I was moving way faster than I have previously and oh god the edge hold.

Mmmm more long boards please!

Dave
    "At one point I was seeing my bootfitter so much my wife was begining to think I was having an affair with him."

Checking out the soft groomed runs on the Gold Chair web cams today has caused me a sudden unexplained sickness. Cough, cough.....don't think I can make it to work tomorrow. Wish me a speedy recovery.

Quote Originally Posted by Another Canuck View Post
    Checking out the soft groomed runs on the Gold Chair web cams today has caused me a sudden unexplained sickness. Cough, cough.....don't think I can make it to work tomorrow. Wish me a speedy recovery.
    That would be the same sickness I came down with on Tuesday. Which was, FYI, the best powder day of the season and probably one of my top three days ever. Knee deep, all day, until I couldn't stand up any more.

You might find those groomers are still pretty soft ... there was a TON of snow out there Tuesday. Keep an eye out for Darcy - he was planning on giving them a couple of days to groom in and going out tomorrow.

Caught up with Darcy and Wanzer and we trenched up Red Crow pretty bad. Hit upper Eagle tail and it was soft, real soft, it ate me up....250lb's augering in up to my ankles. You were right....needs one or two more days grooming.

Anyone thinking of heading up Sunday? Things to do tomorrow ... but Sunday I could be convinced to turn a few laps, after the crowds have packed it all down on Saturday.

Heading up on Monday, if anyone is skipping work...

Quote Originally Posted by Allee View Post
    Anyone thinking of heading up Sunday? Things to do tomorrow ... but Sunday I could be convinced to turn a few laps, after the crowds have packed it all down on Saturday.
    I will be there Sunday with the family. I'm in for a few laps.

Good to catch up with ya today, B!! And your little girl is a rock star.

How was it out there today? I'm heading up tomorrow (monday).

Thanks!

It was really cruddy first thing in the morning. Felt like it had rained and I was punching through the first inch or so and digging right in. Both Steph and I found our knees really hurting so we packed it in with a snow-check. Hopefully the conditions softened and are better today!

Quote Originally Posted by Allee View Post
    Good to catch up with ya today, B!! And your little girl is a rock star.
    Sorry it couldn't have been longer. You inspired a future hardbooter yesterday. Email sent.

Must have softened up for today...just enough for good edge grip on the lower blues and no crust to break through. I didn't find any ice where I was riding. Didn't head up gold tho...may have been crispy up there.

My son qualified for the race at Nakiska just before the Easter weekend, and being a really good dad, I just have to be out there to help him
    q: Will there be any snow left ?...... just asking because there's really not much left here in Ontario

I'll be out there again that week...kids out of school so booked a condo near by. I'm banking on snow...not here in Calgary tho...it's pretty brown. Hopefully we get a late dump in the mountains like we did last year.

I used to make snow at Nakiska in the 90's. They have to make enough in the fall to survive the warmest chinook filled winter. They also have talented groomers that keep stock piles of snow in different high traffic area's that they can scratch and scrape from in the spring. Anything fresh, like we are getting now, won't hurt either.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information