Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ottawa 2011/12

For future reference, ice rash on your belly is just as bad as road rash. Just sayin.
    Fat guys heart step-ins.

Ice-rash aside, I am going to risk it tonight and see how things are. Wish me luck ... and I will try and keep it board-side down, although belly-down is probably a decent way to slow down on the ice.

Nope, not effective at all. Perhaps Ian could comment on the penguin we saw last night?
    Fat guys heart step-ins.

^ Haha - that was pretty funny. This kid on a soft board lost his edge on the steep pitch, and slid all the way down the pitch headfirst on his stomach with his arms and board in the air. He got going pretty fast!

There are a lot of green dots beside names here, guys. Isn't it time to do some work? . Right, off to play ping pong!

It is lunch time ... and this is like my happy place. On people doing stupid stuff on boards at Cascade last night. JP's girlfriend totally got taken down by a boarder. Someone was completely out of control and didn't just skid into her, but totally took her down.

I'm kidding of course It's fun being on Bomber at work! That's too bad about JP's girlfriend. Chris and I saw a lot of people riding way outside their abilities last night too.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian M View Post
    I'm kidding of course It's fun being on Bomber at work! That's too bad about JP's girlfriend. Chris and I saw a lot of people riding way outside their abilities last night too.

Yeah at times I was even one of them. Ohhh my poor belly LOL.
    Fat guys heart step-ins.

Mont Blanc

Okay, Sunday sounds more popular for a day trip to Mont Blanc. How about next weekend, Jan 5th? Who's in? (In true Bomber style...)

1. Ian!

Please and thank you! Oh wait, I may have Superbowl "festivities"....I have no idea what's going on in that world.

Ian and his time machine again...Feb 5th it is

1. Ian!
    2. Me (I'll confirm, confirm the next day but for now...yes) update 50/50
    Last edited by Hilux; January 27th, 2012 at 05:34 PM.

Time machine indeed! I'll put Tabby down because she is 'internet-less'.

1. Ian!
    2. Ryan (I'll confirm, confirm the next day but for now...yes) update 50/50
    3. Tabby

Oh, in terms of local riding, I'm thinking Cascades Monday and Thursday this week, but am flexible if someone would like to join me. (The only day I can't ride is Wednesday... ski racing at Edelweiss)

I (temporarily) have internet again - but lets not count our megabytes till they have downloaded. I will be at Vorlage tomorrow (Monday), the only day I am free this week - and I am SO DOWN for Mt. Blanc on Sunday!

I was at Camp Fortune this morning with Brian. The conditions were magical from 8:25 - 10:30. They held, but the crowds really did me in. Longest I have had to wait in a lift line this year - and I was in the single's line too. Great morning out. Thanks Brian!

Are you riding a white and blue coiler Tabatha? I thought I recognized you this morning but wasnt sure. I was soft booting with my daughtor, we strapped in at the top of allens alley at the same time. The crowds did get a little crazy, but changing runs and a strategicly placed lunch break eased the congestion a little.
    Graham

Yes! I ride a blue Coiler and have bright blue pants. You should have said hi. Next time. Did you see the other guy on a carving board? I ran into someone at the top of Marshall as well, he was with two soft booters teaching them to carve.

As for strategically placed breaks - agreed. I went in for breakfast at 10:30am just as the big lessons started and then headed over to Skyline, where things were quieter (lessons don't tend to go down the blacks!)

I rode Vorlage yesterday morning and I have to say it was pure ****e. It was as bad as a week ago was good. Unfortunate really as the crowds were sparse. Glare ice and impossible to put an edge into. Just means I need a new board I guess.
    Fat guys heart step-ins.

Mont Blanc Bound (Hmmm ... NOT!)

Quote Originally Posted by Hilux View Post
    Please and thank you! Oh wait, I may have Superbowl "festivities"....I have no idea what's going on in that world.

Ian and his time machine again...Feb 5th it is
    Hi Ian et al,

Next Sun, I anticipate being comfortably installed in front of the big screen TV in the evening after a couple Sun AM lessons, but iffn you guys & gals catch Mt Blanc later in the season, count me in.

-Brian

Quote Originally Posted by graham p View Post
    I was soft booting with my daughtor, we strapped in at the top of Allen's Alley at the same time. Graham
    Hi Graham,

I am at CF every Sat AM and quite often on Sun. I typically ride my Volkl carving board from opening until about 10 AM (as Tabby noted that when the crowds pick up - and I change into soft boots for teaching purposes...) so if you ever manage to get there earlier, lemme know and I will make some turns with you...

Cheers,

Brian

Condition report

Hi gang,

Cascades tonight was good. Quite firm, but a little snow on top, so I wouldn't call it icy. I only rode for an hour and a half 'cause I forgot my:
    • helmet
    • goggles
    • other goggles
    • neck warmer
    Doh! On the bright side, there's a speed at which the wind blows the tears out of your eyes and you can see again . It has probably been 10 years since I rode without a helmet... sure felt weird! I liked the improvement in sound quality though.

Cheers!

Vorlage update

Vorlage wasn't too bad firm with some nicer stuff on top, like Ian said. Expect I had a helmet ... good thing too, because I caught a nasty edge! Ops!

I am still up for a trip to Mt. Blanc or Tremblant on Sunday. Super Bowl doesn't interest me as much as strapping on a snowboard and laughing from pure joy as I "carve" down a mountain. Let me know if others are still going / interested or I might have to make alternative plans ... like Pakenham????

Sunday's Schedule

Quote Originally Posted by Tabatha View Post
    Super Bowl doesn't interest me as much as strapping on a snowboard and laughing from pure joy as I "carve" down a mountain.
    Now that is a quotable quote! And before you think I am a bigger football fan than sliding-on-snow fan (I am not); I gotta say that I will be doing both on Sunday, ridin' my board during the day and watching for wardrobe malfunctions by night .

Wow... the snow at Cascades tonight was wick-ed! Firm and fast and totally not icy. My riding was all over the place... I went from a great, smooth run down the steepest part to catching my toe edge when I braked on a flat section to let a skier paralleling me go by. I haven't done that in... a long *slam* time. Felt like such a noob :P

Cheers!

wait just a minute there ... I catch a toe edge all the *slam* time ... does that make me a noob???

Well... not entirely, but it sure wouldn't help your 'rep' :P

Rules to successful snowboarding:
    1. Keep the downhill edge off the snow when sliding downhill
    2. Keep the downhill edge off the snow when sliding downhill
    3. Keep the downhill edge off the snow when sliding downhill
    4. Smoke on the chairlift... chicks dig it

I have a "rep"? Finally! I have been honing that one for a while! Do you know how hard a person needs to work to be seen as a noob! Not easy at all.

As for the rules to successful snowboarding - as a chick, I have to say that the nothing primes me more for a run than guys smoking on the chairlift!

Heading to Vorlage on Saturday morning if anyone wants to ride for a bit.

Apparently I have been granted a kitchen pass for Sunday so I'm in for a road trip.
    Fat guys heart step-ins.

Remind me to never go to Cascades on a Friday night...kid straightliners everywhere! Snow was awesome though...fast, hard and you could bite right in. Was going to go to the other side (with the steeps) but the line was ridiculous as they were only letting people on every other chair...shifty little double. Made awesome progress on technique and felt super confident.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilux View Post
    Remind me to never go to Cascades on a Friday night...kid straightliners everywhere! Snow was awesome though...fast, hard and you could bite right in. Was going to go to the other side (with the steeps) but the line was ridiculous as they were only letting people on every other chair...shifty little double. Made awesome progress on technique and felt super confident.
    For future reference never go to Cascades on a Friday night...kid straightliners everywhere!
    Fat guys heart step-ins.

Quote Originally Posted by CaRtharsis View Post
    For future reference never go to Cascades on a Friday night...kid straightliners everywhere!
    Haaaha thanks...

That's too bad, Ryan... for future reference, the backside is usually much quieter It's worth the one slow chair ride to get over there. I think I'm going to start parking on that side, actually...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information