Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Afton 2011/2012

Quote Originally Posted by trent View Post

saw the monoskis in the rack again yesterday. but the best part was when i saw someone take one out. i was on skis with my 5 yr old, and i go over to the guy as he's getting in line for the lift and say, "cool! is that a carving snowboard?". i get a scowl and this reply, "no. it's a monoski.". at which point i couldn't keep a straight face anymore and told him i was kidding. it still made my day to see the look on his face.
    Saw two members of the ski and ride school sporting the peculiar "sliding devices" Sunday at 4:30 PM on the top of 7. Following Trent's lead, I skated up to them and said "cool snowboards." I got a chuckle out of one, the other was not amused. This is a fun game that you invented, Trent.

1/24/12

snow was great this morning. they're blowing snow on 2, but it didn't take away too much riding space. 2, 7, and 16 were all good.

12 looked like it might be a few days before it's open. lifts covered in snow, and big mounds on the run.

see y'all tomorrow!

-trent

@bonzo, that's hilarious. i take it you were in your ski patrol gear too.
    "why do you ride that?"

snow was great this morning. they're blowing snow on 2, but it didn't take away too much riding space. 2, 7, and 16 were all good.

12 looked like it might be a few days before it's open. lifts covered in snow, and big mounds on the run.

see y'all tomorrow!

-trent

@bonzo, that's hilarious. i take it you were in your ski patrol gear too.
    I was the last one down 2 to tonight. Will be the first one down tomorrow. With grooming, it will be an epic day tomorrow.

Yes, I was in uniform while having fun with our "front stance snowboarders".

2/2/12

much better at afton, than it is at welch. yes, the light still sucked, but there isn't the hard, bumpy ice under the soft snow. and the snow is fast! and wet.

chair 7 was good. chair 2 wasn't running, but they had 1 and 3 running. 1 was ok, but some invisible bumps at the top. 2 was pretty good if you remembered to go to the right lift after your run. nobody was on 2 due to the lack of lift. actually, there was hardly anyone anywhere due to the crappy weather we're having. come on winter! show yourself!!!

-trent
    "why do you ride that?"

2/4/12

not so fun.

soft groom over ice. could carve, but only standing upright. no aggressive riding made it to the bottom of the hill today. probably could've skied, but didn't want to be some sort of wussy who can't carve on crappy conditions

received a call on the hill, this was the message. "i carve better than you!!!! i ski better than you!!!!". after that, i headed straight to the car. been crying ever since. why are people so mean?

-trent
    "why do you ride that?"

here's what happened on chair 7 when i tried to actually carve. yes, mystery caller, you CAN carve better than me. but can you chatter better than me?!

oh, and this happened both runs. at the same tower! i thought i was going to hit it the second time. after that, no more aggressive riding.

From hosting picts

-trent
    "why do you ride that?"

One of those times when the expression "it is what it is" is appropriate.

2/6/12

started the day at afton. i was a little worried it'd still be soft snow, over ice. it wasn't!

had chair 2 to myself for 3 runs. then there were a whopping 4 people on it. tried to do a figure 8 before others wrecked the hill with sliding.

From hosting picts

moved to chair 7 for a bit. it too was excellent. practiced for the next time bobble wants someone to try and jump the camera. yes, i think i'll break his camera too.
    From hosting picts

took off after a couple hours for some nicotine.

-trent
    "why do you ride that?"

2/7/12

it was better than expected today. a little crunchy, but carveable. i was mostly on chair 7 and 2. lots of school buses, and lots of kids who actually could ski. unusual.

chair 2 was a little crowded with the tues race league and this -
    Name:  IMG_2193.jpg
Views: 156
Size:  17.8 KB

it's the event where all the ski shops get to see and try out next years gear. too bad there wasn't a carve board to be seen. i talked to some of the reps, and it's all super fat skis! yuck! riding up with one of the shop guys, he couldn't wait to get rid of the huge skis he was demoing. seems to be the trend, even though they're made for powder, not groomers. not many "carving" skis in the mix.

the tents will be there again tomorrow too, and some regional race is happening on thursday.

-trent
    "why do you ride that?"

Section 5 High School race on Thursday.

2/12/2012

went to afton. conditions were decent. parked over at chair 7. snow was good. trent showed up and went to chair 2. the bowl had powder. got to chair 2 and they had gates set up. snow was soft down the center. we did a several runs. i kept falling over on heelside, blowing up the cord and just making a mess of things. too soft. went to chair 6 (?) and were trying to do toe-side turns off the wall. did that for awhile. trent was trying for heel-side euros on the bottom. we put on a good show.

went to chair 7 and it was busy with ski patrollers doing that thing where they drag a sled down the hill and yell turns. i don't get it... if i'm injured i want the quickest way down the hill. just hook it up to an ATV or snowmobile. did a few runs there and left for the highlands. chair 15 was a bit much for me. i was riding the rossi and the run felt a narrow. played in the highlands for awhile. trent had to get rolling so went back to the cars.

i took my donek out for awhile. felt strange riding it. very stiff and lots of vibration. eventually went back to chair 15. on my second run i blew a toe-side and chattered hard. some how i had snow up my rear leg and inside my boot. not sure how that happened. at the bottom i went to clear the snow out of the cuff of the boot. after i rebuckled my boot felt loose. i looked again and found one of the black straps was almost cracked in half. it was ready to come apart. i nursed the board back to the car.
    "Did you not plan for this contingency?
    I mean the Starship Enterprise had a self-destruct button.
    ... I'm just saying.
    "

-Saul Goodman, ESQ.

This snow is too soft. This snow is too hard. This snow is juuuussssst right!

I finally figured it out; bobble was Goldilocks in a previous life

2/14/12

Total hero snow under 7 tonight.

2-16-12

Deep trenches were evident under 7 still at 6PM. Nice job Trent.

This was the final night of practice with the ski patrol candidate before their big test on Sunday. That means you will have to waint until next year until we do some serious pushing of snow downhill.

Also, there is a big USSA race at Afton on Sunday. Racers will be inspecting the course before 8 AM.

USSA race at Afton Saturday 2/18 also.

Quote Originally Posted by bonzo View Post
    2-16-12

Deep trenches were evident under 7 still at 6PM. Nice job Trent.
    hopefully the ski racers liked them under 2 as well.

snow was excellent on 2 and 7 yesterday morning. highlands was too soft from all the sun. hopefully it wasn't too soft by the time you were there. and from the welch thread.... never go to the back bowl! it's always junk!

Quote Originally Posted by Joe D. View Post
    USSA race at Afton Saturday 2/18 also.
    ugh. i'm there with parker for d-team all day. looks like i'll be stuck in highlands. i think i'll bring a book too. thanks for the heads up on the weekend events boys.

-trent
    Last edited by trent; February 17th, 2012 at 12:32 PM.
    "why do you ride that?"

2/18/12

busy! chair 1 and 2 were covered in ussa racing. chair 3 and 7 with d-team. ski jammers were also in attendance.

i was able to squeeze in a few runs on 7 with the d-team, but the lift line bothered me. headed back to the highlands to see if it was less busy. chair 16 had gates too! argh! saw bonzo 2 planking it, and proceeded to show him proper crashing and chattering technique. it was loose snow over ice in the highlands. made one run, chatted with bonzo until the radio called him to save someone, then headed back to 7 and the bowl.

tried skiing after lunch. meh. lines still sucked everywhere. didn't last long. got out the camera, and tried to take some pict of our daughter skiing.

sunday is supposed to be much of the same with ussa and d-team. d-team doesn't start until 12 on sunday, so you might get a few hours in the morning before everything has gates on it.

-trent
    "why do you ride that?"

2-18-12 & 2-19-12

On Saturday, saw Trent and chatted on 16. In his defense, snow was unstable for serious one planking. Loose on top, bulletproof below. Skis were a wise choice for me.

Sunday, the conditions were similar. They were less than great for carving, but ideal for slide slipping. Perfect for the 13 Ski Patrol Candidates demonstrating their toboggan handling skills to the examiners. All passed.

Snow is coming along with warmth. I predict the snow should improve this week. Or maybe I am optimistic since I get the last run at Afton on Tuesday.

2-21-12

Mardi Gras brought fast snow. It was well rutted by 6 PM. Groomers have a lot of work to do.

Had to encourage a few soft booters to take their last run. Somehow the lack of running lifts or lights wasn't enough of a hint.

Must have been a Mardi Gras thing.

3/1/12

yuck! only made 4 runs, then left. way, way too soft. snow would not hold any type of aggressive carve. not even semi-aggressive. days like this, it's good to have a season pass!

-trent
    "why do you ride that?"

yuck! only made 4 runs, then left. way, way too soft. snow would not hold any type of aggressive carve. not even semi-aggressive. days like this, it's good to have a season pass!

-trent
    Sounds like you need a crud board. Do I have a deal for you...

Where's your skis? I had fun this morning at buck leaving two inch deep trenches.

3/8/12

top few inches were snowcone, ice underneath. possible to carve, but had to ride very balanced. too far forward, nose would fold and give out; touched the snow, or inclinated too much, snow would give out. oh well, with the forcast for the weekend, and next week, i thought i should try and ride while it still felt like winter, not summer.

rode with paul most of the morning. hopefully we'll see more of him next year!

-trent
    "why do you ride that?"

Starting Monday March 12th, Afton will close at 6 PM. The Spring Fling is scheduled for Saturday March 17th. The season beyond the Spring Fling depends on the weather.

Go out and enjoy what is left before it is gone.

The Warrior Dash is set for June 30 & July 1.

3/11/12

Great day for crud busting. Very soft and lumpy on top with permafrost below. 2,7,16 were all fun given the weather. Not super carvolicious, but fun. Hoping this is not my final day of the season, but given the weather forecast for this week, not sure if there will be a Spring Fling. If the Thunderstorms next Saturday materialize, there may be no chair lifts running.

3/17/12

Spring fling and last day of the season. When is the last time that happened?

Most unusual conditions: 78F and boarding. Never have I been on skis or a board when it is in the 70's. Best way I can describe conditions is "summer glacier like." Slush and water on top of the semi-permafrost base. The opposite of hero snow (villain snow?). Not a day to work on eurocarving. Nonetheless, I left my temporary mark on 2, 3, 5 and 7 looking for the right snow. Best to just enjoy the moment

There wasn't enough snow to set up a course for our annual toboggan race. For the water skip, I was in my swimsuit in case someone didn't surface. I was most comfortable with bare legs.

For snowsports, Afton is now closed for the season. Despite the almost complete lack of natural snowfall, the snowguns made some wonderful white stuff. Kudos to the snowmaking team that despite a week of temperatures 20-30 degrees above normal, we were able to enjoy one last day. Thanks to everyone for another memorable season.

See you next season in November or December.

nice! was that scott that made it?
    "Did you not plan for this contingency?
    I mean the Starship Enterprise had a self-destruct button.
    ... I'm just saying.
    "

-Saul Goodman, ESQ.

Quote Originally Posted by bobble View Post
    nice! was that scott that made it?
    I think it was John R. From what I gather, KSTP was there early and didn't want to stick around until 2:30 PM for the event, so they sent a few riders early so KSTP would have some footage. That's why so few people are watching. Even I wasn't there yet. Much clearer shot in the you tube video. You can see the broadcast camerman in the background. I stayed inside the snow fence to the left of the box. Nice dry spot to help point out lost equipment to the participants.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBbm4FRin4s

it was not me. I spent the weekend sanding down and restaining kitchen cabinets. I used to do these at a ski area in MA. Lots of fun, but boots never recover from being under water.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information