Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Heard it in the lift line 2011/12

Chance Encounter with another BOL'er

At the top of the lift last Saturday, looking down at my bindings as I clipped in, I hear someone next to me say "how long have you been riding a board like that?" I look up expecting the usual skiier or two-strapper, and lo-and-behold...it's another hardbooter!

Turns out he's another BOL'er. We tore up the slopes for a while together before the trails got too littered. Very cool.

Riding last week with KarverKai we met up with a buddy of his, who is 9yrs old, to ride some. After the first run of KK and I carving and his buddy using the "straightline, skid, straightline, skid" method we get to the lift. His buddy says "wow, you guys are riding fast today". I explain to him that they are carving boards designed to go fast and hold an edge very well. He stares down at the boards for a moment then says "I want a race board" then turns around, his dad is in the chair behind us, and yells "dad, can I get a race board?"

Ink
    LCI Freakcarve...
    Seriously having Fun!

I almost was 10 feet tall....

So I am out on a saturday night at my local dive hill...

I am ripping up some new snow, and tons of fake snow. Conditions are 12 degrees, mild wind. Snow is firm, fast and carvable to 12 inches. So I show up to put in my runs right when all the local school groups are on the hill....

After 6 runs and ruts galore, I come screaming down to a packed lift line, and pull a typical "J" tear to a stop in the lift line. About 20-30 kids standing around stop what they are doing and follow my line in...the key highlight was that the two 12 yo kids waiting on their chair stopped paying attention to watch me. As I scream to a stop, I look up at the crowd, and the chair knocks these two kids to the floor.

I swear the kids must have all though I was some kind of greek mythological creature. I tell you, it was a scene from another ski school movie....

Riding last week with KarverKai we met up with a buddy of his, who is 9yrs old, to ride some. After the first run of KK and I carving and his buddy using the "straightline, skid, straightline, skid" method we get to the lift. His buddy says "wow, you guys are riding fast today". I explain to him that they are carving boards designed to go fast and hold an edge very well. He stares down at the boards for a moment then says "I want a race board" then turns around, his dad is in the chair behind us, and yells "dad, can I get a race board?"
    LOVE IT!Sounds like his Dad will have to "Pony-Up!"
    "The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit....:p"

No, it's not a ski board

"Is that a ski board?"
    "No, it's an alpine snowboard"
    "What's it for?"
    "Laying down high speed carves"
    "Cool . . . is it hard?"
    "It's totally hard, like hardcore"
    "Whoa, that's sick"
    Alcohol does not solve any problems, but then, neither does milk.

Yesterday at Whitefish (WTF event)

Me to Liftie as he's looking at my gear: I think I'm going to go grab a different board (8" of powder the night before)

Him: Yeah, there was another guy with a board like that saying the same thing.

Me: What did he look like? (no answer) What was he wearing? (thinking maybe I could catch up with someone from the group)

Him: I don't know, I was too busy looking at his board!

Liftie - "that's one of them flyin boards"

on my next run...

Liftie - "you make good swirls in the snow - i looked up an seen it"

guy likes my swirls. life complete.
    (\__/)
    (>'.'<)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
    (")_(")signature to help him gain world domination.

Eric, are you riding in Alabama these days?

Quote Originally Posted by Ian M View Post
    "We're quite the circus, aren't we?" Very fun run
    Quote Originally Posted by kieran View Post
    mc-hsb: "f****** crazy s*** man. can you get them with sidecut?"
    Where is the like Button?

Lots of funny in here.

I guess this is it.

Quote Originally Posted by eajracing View Post
    ....just dont let it intimidate you..... long boards with big scr's smell fear and will hand you your ass if you let them.

Quote Originally Posted by C5 Golfer View Post
    Sometimes silence is golden. quite often on the Whistler Gondola.. there are just stares the the TD-3 bindings, and I can just feel the gears turning in their heads, wondering WTF?
    This is the best ... when you see groms staring at your board parked on the wall, trying to figure out how step-ins work.
    Silence is golden. Duct tape is silver.

I had a kid yell at me from the lift "nice ski boots!" not much I could say.... too busy trying to navigate the bumps under the chair!

Lots of good ones today:

Unknown skier and boarder waiting for me in the middle of the run - boarder: "Whao, you are beutifull to watch. I'm a jibber, but I like that!"

Skier on rocker skis, in the lift line: "Is this a demo? Becouse I like that!"

Liftie on our steepest, gnarliest chair, runs all bumped up after last night's fresh:
    "Aha, powder boards, like a bullet!"... Scoob and me were on a Kessler 183 and Coiler 177

Liftie, commenting on my iced up beard after an EC run: "Faceplant?"
    INSTRUCTION | CASI L2 - hard boots all the way! | Vancouver Carvers' Diaries 2013/14 | Items for sale

I was riding my asym board the other day and a liftie asked me why I was riding on a broken snowboard with ski boots

Quote Originally Posted by NSSage View Post
    I was riding my asym board the other day and a liftie asked me why I was riding on a broken snowboard with ski boots
    Well Jack would consider it broken...

Elk Burger

Doing Non Stop Un Tracked Pow runs from 9 till 1:15...

Hey Bob! John the lift Superintendent yells, would you like an Elk Burger ? as I start to load the chair... Sure! Now John is the same man that 10 years ago as a grom lift attendant at the bottom of Tiehack while bar b quing some Hot Dogs said Hey Bob!, would you like a Dog ? and thats where the phrase "Dog on the Run" came from...
    That Elk Burger today was Fantastic! Thanks John!
    but of course, I use the Pseudomorph Style of Snowboarding

Here's the setup...

Tuesday nights we have beer league ski racing and I run the gates on skis and alpine board. To get to the course with both skis and board I carry the board as I ski down the hill to catch the lift that takes me over to the course.

As I get on the chair to take me to the course the lifty asks "Did you just find that board on the hill?" Feeling like a smart-a$$ I answer "Heck no... some dork cut me off so I ran him down, beat him up and stole his board." The stunned look on the speechless guy's face was absolutely priceless.

Later he figured it out when I'd come thru alternating skis/board/skis/board.

Earlier that evening I had another smart-mouth moment. I had just propped my skis/poles in a rack and put my alpine board down to clip in. A kid was watching and I could see him look to my skis, look to my board, look back at my skis, then look at my UPZ boots. With a somewhat confused look on his face he pointed to my board and asked "what IS that?" I responded "It's a bicycle!"

We both had a good laugh and I went on to explain that is was a alpine snowboard used for engaging the edge and carving powerful turns.
    Last edited by bjvircks; January 28th, 2012 at 09:00 AM.
    just getting from A to B

A couple nights back,Slayermtb and I were rutting-up our local bump when a little jibber asks me if I ever hit my knees on the snow.....I reply-"nope,just my hips",followed by weird Golden-Retriever stare at me and my gear....
    "The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit....:p"

Impatient skier from FLA

I was carving at Attitash last Saturday with a skier in our group up from florida.

He kept telling me "Stop turning all the time, just pic a line and go straight."

He also tried to pass me on my blind side on narrow paths twice with the "Look out! On your right!" like a damned bike messenger.

I did my best to keep him WAY in front of me.

SES today

"Bob, Looks like the whole clan is here" and " Bob, do not go over to Tiehack! there are like 200 Carvers over there"
    but of course, I use the Pseudomorph Style of Snowboarding

I heard a good line today while sitting on the side of the slope and two riders approach to say, "Wow man, I thought you were one of those hard booters." I said, "Nope, Im just like you."

Whose board is this?

So a friend, her daughter (skiiers) and I are handing our gear to the gondola guy. Another gondola guy comes up and looks at my board (a 154 cm Nale) and he's looking ALL around but not at us. Finally he says to the first gondola guy "whose board is this?" And I say "mine" Pardon me, sir, your sexism AND ageism is showing!!!

Packing up my board after an epic day, a ski instructor stops, looks me and my board up and down and then says, "So you're the one who's been laying trenches all over the place!"
    Last edited by lafcadio; February 6th, 2012 at 04:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lafcadio View Post
    Packing up my board after an epic day, a ski instructor stops, looks me and my board up and down and then says, "So you're the one who's been laying trenches all over the place!"

Riding a SG 162cm full race. Heard this twice today - did you cut the end of your board off?

"Hey is that one of those tele-monoboards"?.......No, it's a snowboard....and what is a tele-monoboard?

Had a good comment while waiting in line during a race the other night. Hey can I go before you ? You leave too big of trenches ! From some random ski racer. I let him go ahead then beat his time anyways.
    In Ruts We Trust

More like 'seen from the lift' - here's a funny from "the making of SkES". I was setting up the shot for the final 'eurocarve' which of course was just me stretched out on the snow with my pocket camera on pocket tripod set up just uphill. From the lift a woman saw the apparent yard sale and my motionless body, called patrol at the top and came zooming down to save me! Guess 'eurocarving' look pretty dangerous! Sorry I couldn't come up with a good way to work it into the story....
    'It's not every day that's a blessing. Every breath is a blessing.' - Jimmy Zell

NJ Exit 3 (Over 3.00" of Powder Annually)
    Quote Originally Posted by two_ravens View Post
    More like 'seen from the lift' - here's a funny from "the making of SkES". I was setting up the shot for the final 'eurocarve' which of course was just me stretched out on the snow with my pocket camera on pocket tripod set up just uphill. From the lift a woman saw the apparent yard sale and my motionless body, called patrol at the top and came zooming down to save me! Guess 'eurocarving' look pretty dangerous! Sorry I couldn't come up with a good way to work it into the story....
    Awesome, as ALWAYS. You should be a writer !!
    Don't tell me, "Show Me"
    765 grams = 1.6865 lbs. or 26.985 oz.

teleboard

Quote Originally Posted by powdahbonz View Post
    "Hey is that one of those tele-monoboards"?.......No, it's a snowboard....and what is a tele-monoboard?
    This funny looking deal.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teleboard

hmmm..... embed isn't working, quotes aren't working but here is a vid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=in1c6bB4b5M
    Quote Originally Posted by eajracing View Post
    ....just dont let it intimidate you..... long boards with big scr's smell fear and will hand you your ass if you let them.

Quote Originally Posted by carvedog View Post
    My god, there are people crazier than us!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information