Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Heard it in the lift line 2011/12

Not too many comments

Not too many comments, just a lot of open mouths when I come carving into the liftline and pull my foot out of the binding. (Have extensions on the intecs that come out at my thigh so there's no detecting a binding release).

On the chair with 3 kids; 2 Jibrs and a skier:

Jibrs: What's that board?
    Me: Alpine board. (I tilt it up so he can see my HB)
    Jibrs: Cool... I saw you earlier from the chair...
    Jibrs: So..do you ride real snowboard?
    Me:...speechless yeah this also a snowboard..

RT
    2013 17 Days
    2012 46 Days
    2011 60 Days
    2010 60+ Days

INSTRUCTION

Talking

While riding my freestyle board after 10 endless toeside carves ( regular/switch/regular/switch...finishing in base area with a large carved 360
    Girl in base area
    "I have never seen anyone do that"
    Confused// "you dont snowboard like everyone else.?"
    "The older I get, the better I was" Old Guys Rule...

Clipping in at top, a park rat goes

"that isn't a snowboard"

I got a fun one from the lift attendant at the bunny runs (it's my first day ever riding hard boots... I thought I'd take it really easy and try and get things dialed in and explore what it really feels like) and the nice lady goes "do you know how to get... (on the chair lift) oh you're riding one of those. you must know what you're doing." so I smiled and said "well actually it's my first day on the gear." and she stops and gets all confused. what, nobody has a first day in this gear? *lol*

In front of me in the chairlift line is an eight year old on a snowboard (second run ever on a snowboard) with his mother on skis.

Kid: "What's that?"
    Mother: "That's a snowboard."
    Kid: "Are you sure?"
    Mother: "Oh Yes! I am sure." And then she gives me a big smile.
    Kid still looks confused and looks at me
    Me: "Oh yes, it is a snowboard!"
    Kid smiles and nods

Looks like the good work of others in the region is helping people understand that snowboards come in different shapes and sizes.

Yesterday in the lift line, a young girl took one look at my 168 Oxygen Proton and remarked to her mother, "Look at that poor guy- he's lost his one of his powder skis and now has to go down the hill looking for it"....
    A carver's haiku-

My board's a scalpel,
    To carve deep ruts in the snow,
    Is my destiny.

Bwahaha!
    She doesn't know that other one is at home and only 164 long!
    INSTRUCTION | CASI L2 - hard boots all the way! | Vancouver Carvers' Diaries 2013/14 | Items for sale

My kit today - Deeluxe LeMans/Oxygen Supercross; from the liftie on the B (Gandy) lift at Spirit: "Rockin' the old school!"

The one question I get EVERY time I get my hard boot set up out is...
    "So how does that work then?", I find it so hard not to say something sarcastic, so I just say "I have absolutely no idea". At that point the chair usually goes quiet. My work here is done... I can go back to my iPod.
    27 years teaching snowboarding....still going strong!
    Martin Drayton.
    http://www.geckodecks.com/
    Concrete & Snow...
    TEAM HEADBLADE

I got some attitude for correcting some dude for saying "hey thats a monoski!". "No, its actually a snowboard!"

Quote Originally Posted by Emdee406 View Post
    The one question I get EVERY time I get my hard boot set up out is...
    "So how does that work then?", I find it so hard not to say something sarcastic, so I just say "I have absolutely no idea". At that point the chair usually goes quiet. My work here is done... I can go back to my iPod.
    Why not just take the chance to explain how it works?

My son is a skier and on a recent trip to our semi-local hill he was on the lift with some snowboarders when I came down under it. Lots of "what the @*#@*& is that?" and "did you see that?" He just says "that's my dad!"

Quote Originally Posted by Neil Gendzwill View Post
    "He just says "that's my dad!"
    best quote so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil Gendzwill View Post
    Why not just take the chance to explain how it works?

My son is a skier and on a recent trip to our semi-local hill he was on the lift with some snowboarders when I came down under it. Lots of "what the @*#@*& is that?" and "did you see that?" He just says "that's my dad!"
    In all seriousness I usually do, I save that reply for those that are looking down their noses at me.
    27 years teaching snowboarding....still going strong!
    Martin Drayton.
    http://www.geckodecks.com/
    Concrete & Snow...
    TEAM HEADBLADE

I stole Neil's response to the "Is that fun?" question: "No, my mom makes me do it." A quick laugh is needed after that one or people think you're farking nuts.

Had a liftie tell the random guy I was loading a chair with that he should ride like me.
    Him: "He's almost touching the snow in every turn with his hips!"
    Me: "Almost?!?"

Had a good chat with the random guy about alpine.
    Corey

Today at Nakiska

I was just inside the door of the lodge taking a break and this lady and her son sat down at the table.

I had taken my jacket and helmet off (so i'm not sure how she knew it was me..?) and she looks over at me. ponts and says "you're the guy!!" and she does her best impression with her hand straight out and doing her best to mimick laying it out and says "You're the the guy that almost lays down when you turn!! That looks amazing, we were watching you from the chair!"

It was my first day on Carbo Monster with the BBP, guess I was doing sometrhing right.

I told her she made my day.

Sweet.

One of the tribe now!

last week at Tremblant, I was at the top of La Crete (green trail leading to some blues) paused on the side of the trail waiting for my son. A few seconds later, out of the teeming mass of two-plankers, two-strappers and pizza-wedgers, glides a hardbooter. He gives me a smooth and subtle salute to the brim of his helmet. Caught off guard, I give him an equally subtle thumbs up, and he's off.

I chuckled to myself that this must be what it's like when [insert name of favorite sports car here] drivers pass each other on the highway and figured that was proof positive I'm an official member of the carving tribe now!

PS...He ended up being one of only 4 hardbooters I saw the entire week.

Geometry Major

A little grom in the lift line today says, "Hey Dad, look at that guy, he's riding a RECTANGLE!"

And THAT is how you describe a Coiler AMT 168.

Angry Skiier: "you're crazy"
    Me: "yes I am"
    Angry Skier:"you're taking up the whole run"
    Me: "I can't help it, it's a 12m sidecut"

(Was not taking up the whole run, about half of the course had gates on it, I was keeping it WELL within the half of slope that was open)

same day -->

Random Skiier: Nice carving, you make it look fun (Something like that, helmet affects my hearing!)

lost....

Last week I was in the chairlift.... a young skier on the slope under me shout at me "Man you lost one of your ski!!!" pretty funny!
    Yamash

Walking to the lift, a car stops next to me, and the driver says "Wow, that's one of those new monoboards". My skier friend says "No its a snowboard". I say "New monoboards - are they coming back then?". The driver says "Yeah, they are".

Looks like he was right according to wikipedia and a few other sites. http://www.zapiks.fr/new-monoski-revival-2009.html
    Last edited by scrutton; January 22nd, 2012 at 05:28 PM. Reason: Monoski update

Yesterday morning I was waiting with my 6 year old daughter to meet her ski instructor. My 177 Coiler VSR was standing against a post nearby. Another couple arrived with their daughter and were waiting a few feet away from us. I heard the little girl say to her father "Daddy is that a fake snowboard?" Before I even had an opportunity to turn around my daughter responds quite indignant "No it is NOT a FAKE snowboard!!!" Guess she takes this whole carving thing a little more seriously than I thought! I don't think the other parents were as amused as I was!
    Fat guys heart step-ins.

Sometimes silence is golden. quite often on the Whistler Gondola.. there are just stares the the TD-3 bindings, and I can just feel the gears turning in their heads, wondering WTF?
    Al

A Professional Amateur Golfer

Quote Originally Posted by C5 Golfer View Post
    Sometimes silence is golden. quite often on the Whistler Gondola.. there are just stares the the TD-3 bindings, and I can just feel the gears turning in their heads, wondering WTF?
    Haha, so true!...especially if I'm tweaking the angles/cant on the way up. I feel like saying, "do you have any questions?"

-------------------------------
    I pulled in line with 2 teen softbooters ahead. It looked like they had watched me come down the last pitch where I carved some pretty large "S" turns.

One kid says "Is that fun?"
    Me: "It's the most fun I've ever had" (big smile on my face and being completely serious and honest)
    Kids: "So you only go forward?"
    Me: "Well, yes and no. It's designed to go forward but some can ride switch although it's not really comfortable and is hard learning"
    Kid: something to the effect of "so what does it do? It's fast?"
    Me: It rails turns fast or slow, you can get low,...It's just a cool feeling almost indescribable when you're locked into a turn"
    Kid: "Cool, it looks like fun, pretty different setup with boots"
    Me: "The whole idea is to have a fairly solid setup from board to bindings to boot so any weight or input to the edge makes it carve a turn really well"
    Kid: "Hmm, it'd be cool to try"

These kids were park rats too but were really polite and interested. It was a great exchange one that's seldom had between these kids.

powder skis

tried out an old 185 oxygen today and went to the truck to take a screw off the 165 nidecker. As I'm adjusting the binding a skier gets out of the car next to me and says "so you got one for each foot huh." I said yep just in case the powder gets deep. He says Really? I could of easily had him convinced but I said no not really. he walked off kind of disappointed
    Last edited by b0ardski; January 22nd, 2012 at 06:41 PM.
    N.I.C.E. at Schwietzer
    metal binders, plastic boots, powder snow, vive la glisse
    "
    Any cat can make cord. Only God can make powder." John E

Riding yesterday at a local hill, I stopped at the top of the steepest pitch to collect myself... it was quite icy, and I really wanted stick carves all down the face. This soft-booter screams up behind me and stops, and exclaims loudly "Buddy, what the f*#@ is that THING? I've got to try that!"

I've never seen someone so excited! He has my number now, and I promised to get him out on my loaner board. As we arrived at the bottom, I realized who he was riding with - two other 'famous' locals; one who is a high-level paralympic sit-skier (who is almost as fast as me), and the other who uses a genuine 1980's monoski. As we all stood there talking in the lift line, the sit-skier comments "We're quite the circus, aren't we?" Very fun run

A few funnies from this weekend:

1. I'm cruising towards the lift on the nearly-flat runout of a black run, aiming to go between a small group of snowboarders and the entrance to the lift line. This one girl is waving her arms like she's signalling a rescue helicopter in the Bering sea. I assume she's waving to someone uphill from me. She then steps in front of me and sticks and hand out for me to stop.
    Her: "You have GOT to tell me what that is!"
    - cue a short discussion about alpine
    Her: "You realize that everyone stops talking as you go by the lift, right? That looks awesome!"

2. Slide up to the lift, jibber-kid liftie (hadn't seen him before, must have been his first shift that day) gives me an overly-dramatic look up and down with a sneer. No words said. A couple runs later, when there are almost no people around:
    Him: (excited like a kid on Xmas morning) Whoa, that thing looks fun!

3. Another liftie was asking all kinds of questions about my setup. I switched from the white Coiler 182 NSR to the black 167 VSR as the runs got scraped down to the yellow ice, he couldn't fathom owning two boards.

Lots of positive comments all around, but those stood out. Now I need to buy a bigger helmet.

drifting backward into the mid-run tbar loading point, an mc-hammer stance boarder hails me;

mc-hsb: "here, Big Man! how do you say that wots on the base of yer board?"
    me: 'dawn-eck'
    mc-hsb: "f****** crazy s*** man. can you get them with sidecut?"

Quote Originally Posted by kieran View Post
    mc-hsb: "f****** crazy s*** man. can you get them with sidecut?"

That nearly put my coffee of out my nose.
    "At one point I was seeing my bootfitter so much my wife was begining to think I was having an affair with him."

mc-hammer stance

I'm gonna use that
    N.I.C.E. at Schwietzer
    metal binders, plastic boots, powder snow, vive la glisse
    "
    Any cat can make cord. Only God can make powder." John E

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information