Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Heard it in the lift line 2011/12

Heard it in the lift line 2011/12

Thought I would get this started...

Riding my Burton Fusion 165 with race plates and a White Ruroc RG-1 helmet, "So you're the storm trooper carving it up?"
    "The older I get, the better I was" Old Guys Rule...

What do you think of the Ruroc?
    27 years teaching snowboarding....still going strong!
    Martin Drayton.
    http://www.geckodecks.com/
    Concrete & Snow...
    TEAM HEADBLADE

I really like it. There are some drawbacks to the system but from a comfort/ease of use/performance...It is above par. I think there are refinements that can be made as with any product. The goggles are the best I have used. They are oversized compared to other manufacturers but not feeling closed in really helps the entire system. I think the mask would benefit from a washable absorbent material liner because just like a mouth/neck gator, it gets wet and freezes. It just doesn't do it in direct contact with your face. Also a tether for the mask when removed. Lastly, at that price, there should be headphones integrated. All in, I love it and would buy it again.

Cool, thank for the input. Always good to hear from 'foreigners' ;-) about British products.
    Martin Drayton.
    Concrete & Snow...
    TEAM HEADBLADE

liftie: "did you have to carve that big crescent into the tow track?"

me: 'yes. it's THE LAW.'

Last week I heard the dreaded "it must be fast?!" it is when you use your edges for turning instead of a brake...the guy looked at me very confused

Today on a chair, me with my 180 SG, a young female skier says "I understand how you turn a snowboard twisting your feet, but how on earth do you turn that thing? It's a monoski right?"
    I then lectured her on how without the thing strapped to my feet, she wouldn't have her carving skis...
    Martin Drayton.
    Concrete & Snow...
    TEAM HEADBLADE

The area I usually ride is quite small. As a result some of the lift operators are used to seeing me ride out there. At the end of one day this exchange takes place:

Liftie (Irv) to female friend: "That guy is the best alpine rider out here."

Me: "Irv, I'm the only alpine rider out here!"

Irv: "Oh no, there's TWO other guys!"

Post Of The Year (POTY)

Quote Originally Posted by Emdee406 View Post
    Today on a chair, me with my 180 SG, a young female skier says "I understand how you turn a snowboard twisting your feet, but how on earth do you turn that thing? It's a monoski right?"
    I then lectured her on how without the thing strapped to my feet, she wouldn't have her carving skis...
    This is, quite possibly, the post of the year. Can we get a separate sticky or thread going on this? Moderators? EmDee has captured a pivotal moment in snowboarding here. 'Twisting your feet'; the last time I twisted my feet I ended up married and having three kids. That amounts to over 30 years of my life. I've never twisted my feet whilst snowboarding.

Thanks EmDee!

Mark
    Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest.
    Denis Diderot

A young snowboarder behind me pointed to my board and said to his friend, "man, that board is beast, it's like a giant ski!"

Last Friday from some young snowboard kid- "Why are you riding a sled?"

I told him a sled was for laying down on and our ski area does not allow those.
    First time on a snowboard on my 40th birthday. My goal is to find out how old I can be and still carve it up!

overheard; "theres that big guy on the freaky board again. how'd he get back down here so soon?"

A guy comes into the lodge before opening and asks my wife and I, "what are those things out by the tables"? We reply Alpine boards, why? "I've never seen anything like those before, are they snowboards? Granted this is a tour from San Diego for a week vacation at Snowbasin Utah , but "are they snowboads" caught me off guard.

Mick
    Last edited by boardguru; December 24th, 2011 at 04:18 AM. Reason: spelling

Not really the lift line but here's how it went:

Me: carefully picking my way through nasty early season moguls and soft piles....

Group of kids with hoodies and 135cm boards sitting on the side of the trail: "WHOA! SPEEDBOARD!!!"

Me: quick and low toeside carve in between a few moguls (thankfully I didn't fall haha)

Me:
    Technique before power; courage before all.

stickers

Hey, can I have a couple of those Stickers
    but of course, I use the Pseudomorph Style of Snowboarding

Lifty: "Hey is that a Mono-ski?:
    Me: "Ummm no it's a snowboard"

First time out this weekend at a local bump here in Edmonton. I was riding my 173cm Coiler Sctubby, with UPZ RTRs. Got a couple of comments this weekend.

Heard this exchange as I pulled into the liftline from some students talking to instructor after seeing me come down a run

Student – What’s he riding?
    Instructor - That's a snowboard.
    Student - What's it used for?
    Instructor – That’s a racing board. For hitting banked turns and jumps.

Well at least they're getting closer.

There was also a kid on the lift who yelled “WIPEOu…....” down at me as I made a toeside turn underneath the lift.

Dave
    "At one point I was seeing my bootfitter so much my wife was begining to think I was having an affair with him."

Not in the lift line but funny to me regardless:

Scenario: I'm sitting in my buddy's office at my local ski hill still dressed in my carving gear. We are exchanging thoughts when one of his coworkers walks in: "Chris, you have got to see the size of that alpine board that's parked in the rack downstairs".
    Chris: "how big is it?"
    Coworker: "who the hell rides something that big?" "Its huge!"
    Chris: "I know of only one guy who rides big alpine boards up here and he is sitting in that chair right there" pointing at me.

Coworker: "you ride that thing?? How the heck do you turn it up here"

Me: "it turns very quickly, it has lots of sidecut and I am fat so I bend it well"

Coworker: "what's the length on that? 200cm?"

Me: "its only a 185

Coworker: "its gotta be bigger than that"

Me:"nope, 185"

That's all, brought a smile to my face
    I think I will spend more time on the carving stick, not sticks, this year.

tourist : I've never seen a monoski like that before
    me : that's because it's a skwal
    tourist : oh, that's what they look like. never seen one before.

one ear-dragging descent later, the same guy caught up with me as I was drinking a coffee with my mate.

tourist : so... where can I get one? I want to ride like that

Wink

She: "What is THAT?"

Me: "A racegun for the winter."

She: Look of confusion.

So, diplomacy ain't my forte, already.
    "From anywhere, but, we will be in Greece, day after tomorrow."

Wtf?

In the parking lot from the car next to mine.

"Dude WTF, first I see you put on ski boots and then you pull out a snowboard"
    First time on a snowboard on my 40th birthday. My goal is to find out how old I can be and still carve it up!

Coming to a stop before a steep pitch in super low viz and check behind me for straightliners, tailgaters. Teen in softboots following really closely.

Teen: "Hey what's that?"

Me: "What's what?"

Teen: "That" pointing down to new Coiler AMT

Me: "Oh, it's a snowboard...well it's an alpine board or some call it carving board"

Teen: No response.

Me: "It's just like your board but not...it's built for a different purpose for carving and really hooking turns. I use plate (I think for a second as I can sense the confusion)...different bindings and boots like these (I pull my pant cuff up to reveal TD3's and green UPZ's)."

Teen: "Oh, so you ski too?"

Me: "Yes I ski too....oh, not in these boots though"

Teen: "But those are ski boots..."

Me: "Erm, no they're snowboard boots, hardboots. See the heel and toe pieces?"

Teen: "Oh ya (pauses again as the gears are turning in his head)...cool, good luck!"

^great exchange. educate rather than condescend. we are ambasadors of the sport.

Talking 1st compliment of the season ,I think...

after carving past a guy and his girl on freestyle boards, we get in line at the lift and he and she look me and my board over and say "You are one crazy dude!" Love it!

Quote Originally Posted by xy9ine View Post
    ^great exchange. educate rather than condescend. we are ambasadors of the sport.
    Yes, exactly my intention...spread the word We do represent a tiny segment of the market and I'd rather always leave people with a positive response. As far as I could tell he was really interested. Never know, maybe he'll come to the dark side eventually...or is it the bright side of snowboarding

Quote Originally Posted by murphy12 View Post
    She: "What is THAT?"

Me: "A racegun for the winter."

She: Look of confusion.

So, diplomacy ain't my forte, already.
    I'd love a winter-specific racegun, but despite all the plethora of manufacturers out there, I don't know anyone making 1911s with hand warmers.

Quote Originally Posted by xy9ine View Post
    Thing is, it is a perfectly reasonable mistake - if you have never seen hard boots before, of course you will think they are ski boots. I always just explain the differences politely.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil Gendzwill View Post
    Thing is, it is a perfectly reasonable mistake - if you have never seen hard boots before, of course you will think they are ski boots. I always just explain the differences politely.
    Absolutely true. That's the number one question I've always had on the lift ride up with others...especially if you are average Joe/Jane skier not into techy stuff .

Quote Originally Posted by DrCR View Post
    I'd love a winter-specific racegun, but despite all the plethora of manufacturers out there, I don't know anyone making 1911s with hand warmers.
    They get warmer with each round.
    "From anywhere, but, we will be in Greece, day after tomorrow."

Pushing off & stepping in at the top of the Stella 6 pack at Schwietzer, past a couple on skis shuffling across the flat, the guy's watching and says
    "now that's how it should be done."
    I give him a thumbs up on my way down the trail
    N.I.C.E. at Schwietzer
    metal binders, plastic boots, powder snow, vive la glisse
    "
    Any cat can make cord. Only God can make powder." John E

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread Information