Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Cypress Diaries 2011-12

The Cypress liftie that knows me who works evenings on the Midway chair said, "George, if you don't kill everyone racing tonight on that set up of yours, then you need to find another sport".

no pressure....
    A carver's haiku-

My board's a scalpel,
    To carve deep ruts in the snow,
    Is my destiny.

Quote Originally Posted by crucible View Post
    I ran the Thursday night beer league race last night- won handily and kicked some ass- I won a snowboard helmet.

Beat the second place guy by 9 seconds on my Oxygen 164 Proton, the course was too tight to break out the Coiler 179PRT or the 186PR. I might run next week's races on a mid 160's BX board, either a Prior ATV or a Winterstick Cirque- you guys should come out to represent...

Had some good conversations and all mountain cruiser runs with the other snowboarders who raced that night- they definitely saw they difference in boards that were built for speed.

I got invited to run the PGS course that the Nancy Green Ski Camp sets up on the weekend- should be good for a laugh.
    Hi Geo, can you tell me how many gate they have setup? My athletes went there last month, they told me there were only dozen of gates.

Your guys are correct- there are only 12 gates or so, and they are spaced closer than what would exist on an officially sanctioned race course.

I suspect that it's designed to keep the speeds from getting too out of control with casual racers- they don't want anyone getting too fast and hurting themselves. The course length is also half of what a proper PGS course would be- 300-400 meters max.

You had to run these gates at a modest speed and make up for the lack of aggression on the course with a tighter line to get a decent time.
    Last edited by crucible; March 9th, 2012 at 11:44 PM.
    A carver's haiku-

My board's a scalpel,
    Is my destiny.

I ran the Thursday night beer league race last night- won handily and kicked some ass- I won a snowboard helmet.
    Beat the second place guy by 9 seconds on my Oxygen 164 Proton, the course was too tight to break out the Coiler 179PRT or the 186PR. I might run next week's races on a mid 160's BX board, either a Prior ATV or a Winterstick Cirque- you guys should come out to represent...
    OMGosh, can u imagine if u ride your 2008 Proton u probably finish a beer by the time the 2nd guy pass the gate Congrat bud.

I got invited to run the PGS course that the Nancy Green Ski Camp sets up on the weekend- should be good for a laugh.
    In Cypress?

RT
    Last edited by CarvingScooby; March 11th, 2012 at 01:09 AM.
    2013 17 Days
    2012 46 Days
    2011 60 Days
    2010 60+ Days

INSTRUCTION

Tue, Mar 13

Some fresh over night, very variable vis, medium crowd...
    Crew: Kaz, Luka, Boris
    Toys: Kaz tried pow/freeride board then went back to WCRM, Luka on his skis, B on Proto...
    INSTRUCTION | CASI L2 - hard boots all the way! | Vancouver Carvers' Diaries 2013/14 | Items for sale

Monday March 19

Afternoon.

There were no open spaces at the lodge parking at noon! Surprising! Parked at the entrance to the Raven Ridge chair.

Around -4°, and cloudy. Wind was around 25 km/ hr. Flattish light. Fog at first, clearing later.

A couple of inches of dry fresh over softpacked crud.

Weapon of the day: Dynastar 3800 - 163 cm.

Wink Another Horrible Non-Carving Day

Tuesday March 20

8:30: lodge parking

9:00 to 2:00: 12" to 18" dry POW!

First Sun, Coyote 7, mogul run, Top Gun.

Even the mogul run was completely filled in.

Fresh tracks lasted several hours!
    Last edited by Cousin of Beagle; March 20th, 2012 at 10:08 PM. Reason: POW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! POW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! POW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! POW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thursday March 22 - Evening

5:00 PM to 9:00 PM

Thursday night racing. Slalom-ish.

Snow was soft.

Boris got first place!
    Last edited by Cousin of Beagle; March 23rd, 2012 at 11:17 PM.

Friday March 23

Morning.

Softpacked corduroy. Snow had moisture in it. Sunny.

The hill is in great shape. Tons of snow with a base of over 5 metres.

Quote Originally Posted by Cousin of Beagle View Post
    Boris got first place!
    ...and then Boris got gready, jumped onto his skis in hope for double gold and earned a fractured hip. Season over...
    I spent more then 24hrs in the ER of Lions Gate Hospital, entertaining myself counting the injured skiers/riders, well mostly riders and listening to their stories...
    INSTRUCTION | CASI L2 - hard boots all the way! | Vancouver Carvers' Diaries 2013/14 | Items for sale

Oh man, the one race night I that I miss and there's a major drama...

Sorry I wasn't able to race this week guys, I had a recurring arthritic problem in my foot flare up again- there are parts in my feet and hands that have been broken multiple times and time is catching up with them.

I have just been able to squeeze my left foot back into my boots today, but have to wait another 2-3 days before I can buckle them up without pain.

Sorry to hear about the break Boris, heal up quickly, or at least, get some of those good horse pill painkillers from the wife...

Geo
    A carver's haiku-

My board's a scalpel,
    Is my destiny.

Yeah, you missed out on going against 4 other hardbooters, one being a racer girl trained by Pan. Kaz posted very hot times too. Softbooters were slow, as you already know from your last race.
    At ski division a former racer showed up, I wracked myself trying to catch his time.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueB View Post
    Yeah, you missed out on going against 4 other hardbooters, one being a racer girl trained by Pan. Kaz posted very hot times too. Softbooters were slow, as you already know from your last race.
    At ski division a former racer showed up, I wracked myself trying to catch his time.
    Sorry to hear you are now broken

I wish I could have made it out to the hill on a Thursday night to play in the gates but unfortunatly I always work Thursdays. Next time I guess. I realy miss running gates.
    Nothing better than crisp fresh corduroy in the morning :)

Tomorrow Morning March 25th I am going to head up to Cypress for a good morning session of carving if anybody is around.

Hope to see you there I am planing to arrive about 9:00 to play until it softens up to much.
    Nothing better than crisp fresh corduroy in the morning :)

Hey Boris,

Did you at least get some cool crutches? Maya and I want to know....
    A carver's haiku-

My board's a scalpel,
    Is my destiny.

Nah, I "inherited" Maja's, from 5 years ago, when she broke the ankle.

Hope you recover well Boris.

Does anyone know if they will put up another one tomorrow night again?

Thanks for good wishes Pan!

I just checked the Cypres site. It still has the info of the last one, stating it's the last one.
    Also, it's already a mix of snow and rain I think it will be like that for about a week...

Went up yesterday to pick up my pass. It was snowing in the afternoon. Condition was wet and small bumps everywhere.

Will go up today for CASI 2 course.

Quote Originally Posted by pan View Post
    Will go up today for CASI 2 course.
    It would be sooooo great if you showed up on your freeride board with hard boots and mild forward angles, to show them how it's done!

Thursday March 29 - Morning

9:00 to 11:00

6" to 8" fresh. Snow was wet but fast enough. Foggy. Flat light.

Did Moons several times. It was completely filled-in, resulting in a completely smooth surface. The snow was firm and wetpacked. It felt like fresh over groomed.

Too bad I hit a tree and had to call it a day.

Other riders reported smooth conditions on Top Gun and the Bilodeau mogul run.

It would be sooooo great if you showed up on your freeride board with hard boots and mild forward angles, to show them how it's done!
    If I show up on hard boots, I have to be on race board. My freeride binding screws are rusted, can't get them out.....

Condition was great this morning, then became wet snow in the afternoon. Hopefully, it will snow next few days!!!

Saturday March 31, 2012

Great day and no traffic. In the morning snow was firm corduroy on upper level and hard firm on the lower level and soften at noon.
    Gary, Edgy, Katsu and me start early and Geo came later. Stayed till 2PM. BlueB's relative from Europe (Miki & Andrea) came for visit and his cousin 10 year old was doing amazing on race board 138 and it's her first day on HB.

Toy: Andrea - Fake 138, Gary - 3800 163, Edgy - SG BX 164, Geo - Coiler PR-179, Scooby - KST BT171

Cousin../Tony heal well, hope u can make some turn soon.

RT
    Cypress will extend, rumours till end of this month.
    2013 17 Days
    2012 46 Days
    2011 60 Days
    2010 60+ Days

INSTRUCTION

sunday was a bonus pow day - 5-6" on the groomers, but the steep stuff & glades had closer to a foot of fresh (accumulation from the previous couple days). snow was surprisingly light & i was getting face shots all over the place. hit the steeps on raven & lions first, then more fresh tracks on sky when it opened a couple hours later. best pow day i've had on the hill this year - in april! no lines to speak of either. good times.

Wendnesday April 4 & Thusday April 5

April 4: Snow was OK until 10:00ish. But snowcat operators are not good at grooming, some gaps on JJ all the way to the bottom. After 10:00 am became too warm from sun shine and runs got too soft (almost slushy). There was a little bit of hard base on Collins, I stayed there about 1 hour. But I had to leave around 1:00 pm because became too soft.

April 5: JJ was made by little snow chunks from first track. It was like riding on crackers. Hard surface but too brittle to carve. Snow refused to hold my edges. I tried lions chair side too, but same condition. So I left at 10:30.

I saw an unmarked car on Cypress Bowl Rd on my way home two days in a row. It was a black dodge charger. I hard they are switching over their police car from ford crown to dodge charger. I saw a guy caught. And today, there was SUV unmarked car on uphill side too.
    Watch your speed.

Name:  Greater Vancouver A-20120405-00414.jpg
Views: 145
Size:  42.6 KB
    I'm a Snowboarding Monk. MSLM

No one posted riding stuff, for long time, so the "man from the wheelchair" has to do it
    My 11 year old niece, Andrea, visiting from Europe, riding with the "boys". She's only been on soft boots few times, now converting to alpine and doing it with style!
    Name:  Andrea1.jpg
Views: 125
Size:  58.1 KB Name:  Andrea2.jpg
Views: 127
Size:  89.5 KB

No one posted riding stuff, for long time, so the "man from the wheelchair" has to do it
    My 11 year old niece, Andrea, visiting from Europe, riding with the "boys". She's only been on soft boots few times, now converting to alpine and doing it with style!
    Name:  Andrea1.jpg
Views: 125
Size:  58.1 KB Name:  Andrea2.jpg
Views: 127
Size:  89.5 KB
    Yeah, she's a tough cookie, getting right back up after getting taken out by an errant boarder.

Oh, I can just picture you racing in one of these

Wednesday April 11, 2012

Crew: Kabi, Kaz & me
    Toys: Kabi- Proton 164&168, Kaz- Ogasaka 162, Scooby-KST BT171

Snow condition was soft firm in the morning but still hold, some runs are firmer then other such as Panorama but otherwise snow was still holding till 12PM. Rain start around noon & since temperature didn't get warmer and rain compacted abit - snow stay rideable till almost 2PM.
    Karen aka Kabi start with O2-168 then change to 164. Shorter O2 was a good move as board is easier to handle and less work out. Kaz in the beginning was kind of reluctant to go riding in softer condition and he was making a solid trench all day trailing behind.
    Kessler Black Top work out like a charm and more all day in all conditions, its perform as well as my 4WD

RT

CYPRESS Mt will stay OPEN to April 22, 2012
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by CarvingScooby; April 12th, 2012 at 07:24 AM.
    2013 17 Days
    2012 46 Days
    2011 60 Days
    2010 60+ Days

INSTRUCTION

The hill will be closed Monday through Friday this week, then reopening on Saturday & Sunday (weather permitting), according to their web site.

Cypress is closed now (April 22, 2012) We have now wrapped up the longest season ever at Cypress Mountain

Saturday was my last day on Cypress, snow was soft granule but still holding till noon. Cypress resort was serving free hot dog & drinks donation for Relay of Life.
    Was another good day, good crowd, and good company. 44 days making trench on Cypress. Took off around noon as soon as snow start base sucking....

Crew:
    Yoshii - SB
    charliechocolate - PRIOR 4WD
    crucible - COILER PR179T & COILER AT174
    Ruwi - BURTON PRIME 164(?)
    Rod - SG BX167 on SB
    Scooby - KST BT171 & PRIOR 4WD 173

Till next season.
    RT
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by CarvingScooby; April 23rd, 2012 at 11:13 AM.
    2013 17 Days
    2012 46 Days
    2011 60 Days
    2010 60+ Days

INSTRUCTION

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread Information