Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Cypress Diaries 2011-12

Quote Originally Posted by crucible View Post
    Did u get her number?!

Geo
    No way.
    I didn't want her to think like I'm trying to pick up a girl.
    And also I was going to leave there when I saw her.

I wanted to check her gear but I couldn't talk to her anyway 'coz I'm not fluent in English.
    If I see her next time, I might say Hi. That's it.

But I wish I could talk to her.
    I'm a Snowboarding Monk. MSLM

Yesterday, Wed, Nov 30

Action...
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    INSTRUCTION | CASI L2 - hard boots all the way! | Vancouver Carvers' Diaries 2013/14 | Items for sale

Thu Dec 1

Hero snow, blah, blah, blah.

It was Free Burger Day. A celebration of the new month.

Here is my review:

Burger #1. The patty was soft and moist. Dipped in orange special sauce until the burger was dripping. The bun was quite flavourful. No condiments were needed. The overall effect was one of satisfaction, because the burger was free.

Burger #2. Not quite as much orange special sauce. No condiments. I think the burger was a bit more satisfying, although less squishy due to the lack of drippiness. A sugary Sprite washed it all down. Surprisingly, the drink tasted sweeter than usual.

Binding Angles

Mr Cousin of Beagle

Excuse my ignorance but has your back binding got a steeper angle than the front and is this normal with hardboots?
    Last edited by Wee Eck; December 1st, 2011 at 06:51 PM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by Wee Eck View Post
    Mr Cousin of Beagle

Excuse my ignorance but has your back binding got a steeper angle than the front and is this normal with hardboots?
    yeah I know. Something is screwed up. I think the angle indicators are flipped or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Cousin of Beagle View Post
    yeah I know. Something is screwed up. I think the angle indicators are flipped or something.

ok I figured it out.

On Monday, I adjusted the angles, mixing up the "regular" and "goofy" settings. This morning, it felt really weird. Looking down at my feet, it looked weird too. I even asked someone to look at it, but he didn't catch it either. I'm glad it wasn't my imagination.
    Last edited by Cousin of Beagle; December 1st, 2011 at 09:01 PM.

Fri, Dec 02

Hero snow on JJA, Panorama, Fork.
    Crappy mixed conditions on Humpty and Horizon.
    Good solid hardpack on Midway, but some shrubs still sticking out. No rock, though.
    No crowds.

Crew: Federico, Kaz, Scooby, B
    Boards: Coil 166, Ogasaka 162, 4WD 174, Kessler BXn 168, Proto 167

Carving frenzy first, then some monkey business later...
    INSTRUCTION | CASI L2 - hard boots all the way! | Vancouver Carvers' Diaries 2013/14 | Items for sale

Sat Dec 03

High overcast at Cypress. Was snowing in the late morning, then stopped. Base temp just above 0 I think. No crowd!?!

Ski instructor Elia is back to h/boots! He just took over my Generics.

Luka is starting to rediskover ski carving again

Sun Dec 04

Spent all day in Instructor's training... We've got a nice new trainer, Andrew, it was a great refreshment course. Lot's of new faces, lots of interest into h/boots, too!
    I froze my bum when the sun went down - had only shell and base layer...

[edit] Almost forgot: lower Humpty and lower Horizon have lots of rocks! Mid and lower Horizon and lower humpty have lots of ice too. [/edit]

Spoted: Scooby on one of his new Kesslers, 170 or 180. Review, Bro?
    Last edited by BlueB; December 5th, 2011 at 09:43 AM.

SUNDAY Dec 4, 2011

aRRIVE 8.45AM @ Lodge park lot, already busy - park at the last 2 rows. Hero Corduroy. Met Yoshii & parents, forgot to take pics. Yoshii doing great as the 1st day on HB this season. Keep up the good work...

Quote Originally Posted by BlueB View Post
    Spent all day in Instructor's training... We've got a nice new trainer, Andrew, it was a great refreshment course. Lot's of new faces, lots of interest into h/boots, too!... ?
    Bro, that's more great news ...From Midway chair I can see some of the instructors was paying attention to my gears thn listening to the trainer

...Almost forgot: lower Humpty and lower Horizon have lots of rocks! Mid and lower Horizon and lower humpty have lots of ice too...?
    Yeah... leave Horizon side alone for at least 2 dumps. I've check Raven Chair on Crazy Raven(#1) ; Upper and lower good coverage but right on the steep section some srubs still afloat, one more dumps will be good. First Sun (#3) need 2 more dumps as the Cat track and boulders are still showing. Mid way need one more dump.

Spoted: Scooby on one of his new Kesslers, 170 or 180. Review, Bro?
    Test Drive both 170 & 180:
    210-220lbs incld gears.
    Setting TD2F55*,0*Cant - R50*,0*Cant
    Stand 19 1/4" Hard/Red E-Rings on AIR SUSPENSION

Kessler 180:
    Decided 180 to come out first as traffic to none .
    I thought I have to get the feel for the first few runs on a strange board, na..ah, deck as if part of my quiver for long time. After the first run I have to tell my self to ease off to finish my warm-up laps but as soon as I pass upper JJA I just can't hold the temp and let it go... deck just following the way I want to carve, EC or Extreme C. Deck has alot of edge hold and very forgiving. Seems deck has more solid feeling compare other metal boards I've ridden - just like my PRIOR WCRM 177 and COILER PR179 two character combine became KESSLER 180.
    Compare to KST185 is much easier to handle and to controle speed, is less work out.

Kessler 170:
    I switch to this board after 16 laps on 180 and as traffic start to build up.
    This board is a fun board and does everything 180 does but being 10cm shorter to 180; less edge-less hold - you have to stand right in centre.
    Fun fun board.

Left at 12.30PM

Cheers
    RT
    BlueB: Next report on these 2 Kesslers
    Last edited by CarvingScooby; December 5th, 2011 at 01:47 PM.
    2013 17 Days
    2012 46 Days
    2011 60 Days
    2010 60+ Days

INSTRUCTION

Just missed u guys

I got up to the Cypress by 1300 - but alas, everyone had gone and all I could see were the faint traces of your trenches....

Spent 2 hours touring the entire mountain to get a good recon on snow coveage, Raven runs, Sky Chair runs, JJA, Collins, even Humpty Dumpty and Slash...

Midway in the mid afternoon turned out to be the best- no line ups for the very slow chair, plus it gave me much needed recovery time between runs.

Raven side still has a lot of surface rocks on the slopes, same with Humpty Dumpty.

Geo
    A carver's haiku-

My board's a scalpel,
    To carve deep ruts in the snow,
    Is my destiny.

Very nice day up here today! Bindings adjusted and i have finaly remembered how to carve

Also the runs have been between the clouds all day so it has been clear
    Nothing better than crisp fresh corduroy in the morning :)

did a late rip last night. solid snow w/ a few ice patches & fog. had the 156sl kessler that turned out to be great in these kind of conditions. amazing how this thing can grip when you crank it over and let it do it's thing. been making improvements in my problematic heelside on steeper slopes (driving the rear knee / angulating more / reaching for the front boot) and linked carved turns are coming together. neat carving clean c's when everyone else on the hill is sliding around. so much more civilized really. again, i'm amazed this isn't catching on. too much fun.

Dec 9

Heading to the hill tomorrow from about 10am to mid afternoon for some turns if anyone is around.

Quote Originally Posted by eastcoastcarve View Post
    Heading to the hill tomorrow from about 10am to mid afternoon for some turns if anyone is around.
    Kaz most likely will trenchin.

I have to recoup, still rusty after today's play

Have fun,
    RT (4)
    2013 17 Days
    2012 46 Days
    2011 60 Days
    2010 60+ Days

INSTRUCTION

Thu, Dec 08

Blue bird day yesterday, with exception of one thick cloud passing right through the valley. Scooby and me, no sight of other h/booters. No crowd either. Hard pack conditions, with some fluf around edges in snow making areas.
    I really enjoyed Scooby's new Kessler 180. After a while I figured out what to do to turn it into an awsone EC board. Yet, I still think it's a tad too big turning/fast for our local mountains. Looking forward to test ride the 170.

When the cloud rolled in, I switched to play board and did some monkey business. Sun came back and Scoob took some good shots...

Quote Originally Posted by CarvingScooby View Post
    Kaz most likely will trenchin.
    I saw Kaz at the top and though he was right behind me and a friend but when we got to the bottom I didn't see you anywhere sorry we didn't wait but were just about at the end of our day and wanted to get a few more runs in.

Cheers,
    John

PS Nice air time Boris... Its good to show the softy's that plates are not stuck to the ground
    Last edited by eastcoastcarve; December 9th, 2011 at 04:17 PM.

Also just a note:

There are rocks all over the bottom part of Bennys!!

And Horizon has a few patches with dirt and rocks coming through. Not to bad but they are always just past a roller to you don't get much warning

Also just a note:
    There are rocks all over the bottom part of Bennys!!
    And Horizon has a few patches with dirt and rocks coming through. Not to bad but they are always just past a roller to you don't get much warning
    Ouch, you missed these 2 posts I hope you still hv smooth base.
    ...Almost forgot: lower Humpty and lower Horizon have lots of rocks! Mid and lower Horizon and lower humpty have lots of ice too...?
    Yeah... leave Horizon side alone for at least 2 dumps. I've check Raven Chair on Crazy Raven(#1) ; Upper and lower good coverage but right on the steep section some srubs still afloat, one more dumps will be good. First Sun (#3) need 2 more dumps as the Cat track and boulders are still showing. Mid way need one more dump.
    Stay at Eagle Chair for now: JJA (PGS), Maelle Rickers (Fork & Lower Fork), Ashley McIvor (Cascade), Panorama, Windjammer. Next week look promising for more snow.
    How's the traffic?

I saw Kaz at the top and though he was right behind me and a friend but when we got to the bottom I didn't see you anywhere...
    Kaz => Samurai style = clean cut and silent; he probably chasing the girls at Colins

WATCH for SPEED CONTROL on Collins and Panorama and some of them have new DARK ORANGE Jacket and some are still in the old YELLOW.

Most likely I'll miss Saturday ridin but maybe going for Sunday

Cheers
    RT
    John, do I have yr email? Email me: carvingchanel at yahoo dot ca
    2013 17 Days
    2012 46 Days
    2011 60 Days
    2010 60+ Days

INSTRUCTION

nice booter boris! funny, i have no issues doing stuff that size on a bike, but i'm totally sketchy airing a snowboard. guess i should work on that. i'd pull the old man card, but dammit you're of similar vintage.

Riding saturday

Is anyone riding tomorrow, Saturday. I'll hopefully be on the hill for 11am, first time on an alpine board

Like I said before don't be afraid to say hello.

Perry,
    I'll be 43 in March... I wouldn't dare it on a bike, though.

Wee,
    Come say hi to Luka (kid) and me on skis, on Easy Rider. I'll give you some pointers and explain the lesson discount available for alpine brotherhood

Sat, Dec 10

Ski day today, as usual.

Light drizle and fog above Midway in the late morning. Cleared and started snowing very lightly in the early afternoon.
    No crowds at all.

Ski day today, as usual.

Light drizle and fog above Midway in the late morning. Cleared and started snowing very lightly in the early afternoon.
    No crowds at all.

Hi BlueB. How were the snow conditions?

Popped my cherry

Today was the first day in as long as I can remember that I have been afraid on a snowboard Alpine boards are a whole other beast, SO FAST!!! First 2 runs were torture until I got the forward lean sorted on my back foot and then it was happy days I did have a look for you Boris but couldn't see you and my legs gave up after 3 hours, I obviously need to work on my technique. Roll on next time

Cous,
    Today, some sticky fresh over hardpack on Easy Rider. Thursday on JJA was hardpack border line to "Hero".

Wee,
    Luka and I are asy to spot - 5 year old kid carving (sort of) skis behind an old fart carving skis backwards
    We were there from 11:45ish am to about 2:15 pm.

I saw Kaz at the top and though he was right behind me and a friend but when we got to the bottom I didn't see you anywhere sorry we didn't wait but were just about at the end of our day and wanted to get a few more runs in.
    I'm slow when I'm by myself. I'm always thinking what I should do to improve my snowboarding skill. So I stop so often in the middle of the run and correct my bad habit.

My task is how to finish toe-side-turn quickly and how to begin heel-side-turn quickly and stable.
    Catch the snow with front edge and start to weight snowboard early in heel-side-turn.

like this ↓

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=rhxyqXoXGys

I don't know if my explanation makes sence. It's difficult to explain in English about this topic.

Kaz => Samurai style = clean cut and silent; he probably chasing the girls at Colins
    Not on Friday
    My ancestors were Samurai. For real.
    Last edited by kaz; December 11th, 2011 at 12:53 AM.
    I'm a Snowboarding Monk. MSLM

Board servicing

My ancestors were Samurai. For real.[/QUOTE]

best quote have I have ever read.

Is there a particular shop that everyone uses to get there boards serviced or do most of you do your own?

Apologies if this is the wrong place to post this

Quote Originally Posted by Wee Eck View Post
    Is there a particular shop that everyone uses to get there boards serviced...?
    Try Vancouver Ski Services. 271 East 2nd Avenue, just East of Main Street. http://www.vanski.ca/
    Last edited by Cousin of Beagle; December 11th, 2011 at 07:36 PM. Reason: Why Not?

Sunday December 11 - Demo Day

10:30. Rock star parking was full, so parked at the main lot. Walked to the Raven entrance, and rode down. Up the Raven Ridge chair, down Panorama, straight to the lodge for demo day.

Snow ranged from double-M (man-made) over hardpack, cruddy, icy, to cushy softpack. Overall the snow was ok for demoing.

Wanted to try rockered soft boards.

Burton Custom Restricted 158. Hybrid rocker with some camber. Did not want to hold an edge too well. Skidded turns were easy to do. Did not like this board.

Never Summer Premier F1 159. Hybrid rocker with some camber. This thing was fantastic. When doing skidded turns, you could feel the rocker. Bumpy groomers were not a problem because you never caught the wrong edge due to the rocker. When railed on edge, it felt like a conventional cambered board. It carved like a champ. Quite damp for a soft-boot board. The shovel and waist width were very close to my Dynastar 3800 - 163 cm. It would probably work ok as a pow board. They're also available in longer lengths.

Crowd wasn't too bad for Sunday. Most people were away Xmas shopping. Lift lines at Raven Ridge and Sky chairs were zero. Other chairs were 3 or 4 minutes.
    Last edited by Cousin of Beagle; December 11th, 2011 at 07:38 PM. Reason: 14 More Sleeps 'Til Non-Denominational Winter Holiday

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread Information