Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Buck Hill 2011/2012

Buck Hill 2011/2012

Ski Swap
    went to the ski swap. saw a burton alp for $50 with size 10 boots. nothing to get excited about. thought about skis again. not sure what to get.

Why Yes, I would like Additional Info!

very nice!

Additional Info
    "Did you not plan for this contingency?
    I mean the Starship Enterprise had a self-destruct button.
    ... I'm just saying.
    "

-Saul Goodman, ESQ.

that guy looks bionic!
    "why do you ride that?"

I'll be signing autographs opening weekend!
    - Erik

Pretty excited for this season, and a new carver will be showin up! Anyone willing to sell him any old bindings? He got boots and a board already.

Actually I might be able to help there, I have an old pair of snowpro base bindings I got on bomber that have just been sitting in my closet since I got a pair of F2's last season.

Quote Originally Posted by mjw210 View Post
    Actually I might be able to help there, I have an old pair of snowpro base bindings I got on bomber that have just been sitting in my closet since I got a pair of F2's last season.
    Really? That would be great. Do you want his email so you guys can work it out from there?

Sounds good, if you change your profile to allow emails I'll PM you the details.

Quote Originally Posted by mjw210 View Post
    Sounds good, if you change your profile to allow emails I'll PM you the details.
    Ok changed

Well this should be interesting, he is going directly from Skiing to hardboot carving now with no soft boot experience.

Snow guns are going!!!
    - Erik

yeah, saw and heard the snow guns from my house. went down to the lake for a view. always a welcome sight.
    ... I'm just saying.
    "

-Saul Goodman, ESQ.

Monday is opening day, 3pm-9pm.

11/21/11 - Opening Day

24 hours ago, ms. bobble discovered that mice had been using my helmut as a toilet. goggles were gnawed around the foam. had a brick of board wax looked like ... well just look at it below.

was completely skeeved by the thought of mice infesting my gear. this evening picked up new helmut and goggles at valley bike and ski.

it was crowded at Buck as to be expected. they had three runs open; oly, milk and crossroads. the snow was very soft. there were bumps here and there especially under the tower. not quite ready for hardboots. carveable on skis.

i think when i left it was around 37F. i was sweating.

effing mice
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    ... I'm just saying.
    "

-Saul Goodman, ESQ.

11/22/11

same as yesterday. busy. super soft snow. booted out twice and slid a long ways. under the towers there's more exposed earth.

saw more than one snowboarder on milk lose a toe-side and do a face plant into the snow. there's a mound near the bottom of milk. if you go to fast you'll catch air. one kid caught toe-side edge. looked painful.

lifty needs remedial training. i bumped my own chair.
    ... I'm just saying.
    "

-Saul Goodman, ESQ.

After eating the wax, I can only imagine what a mess they made of your helmet Bob. Maybe you melt the mouse droppings onto the base of your board

say chances of rain. is saturday worth it?

@harmless, there's only three runs open and there's brown spots poking through. they have park equipment on the runs which means jibbers will be waiting/sitting/standing on the run. its definitely not ready for alpine.

if it doesn't rain in the morning then it might be okay for an hour or two for boarding with softboots.

if rain, then it would not be worth it however you'd have the runs to yourself.
    ... I'm just saying.
    "

-Saul Goodman, ESQ.

Wink 11/25/11 - Black Friday

So Worth It!

got out today on Black Friday. nary a crowd. mid 40's. left after an hour. i was sweating. milk and crossroads were the only accessible runs. i didn't see the rope going on oly. more people were on milk. snow was slightly better but only because of the traffic.

lighting was not great but my new goggles provided excellent contrast.
    From 2011-11-25

snow was inconsistent; i.e. bumpy, pitted, crusty, slow then fast, gritty. tried taking a picture of the slight reflection of the sun on the snow. guess it didn't show up in the photo. it was super white in some areas and discolored in other areas.
    From 2011-11-25

more of the same
    From 2011-11-25

very soft snow. on this turn i wasn't even trying to carve. somehow my toe-side started sinking and fell over. earlier i booted out -- on grass! personal first. when i was out on opening day crossroads had snow. now it has dirt and grass poking through. weather sucks! key a hummer.
    From 2011-11-25

top of milkrun
    From 2011-11-25

the only way onto milk was this thin path. they should've have been shoveling snow to keep the path open on milk.
    From 2011-11-25

with the warm temps and possible rain i don't see how buck could possibly be open saturday.
    ... I'm just saying.
    "

-Saul Goodman, ESQ.

Looks like everyone on the mountain was boarding, not skiing .
    "Problems cannot be solved at the same level of awareness that created them" -Albert Einstein

Bob, you are like a war photographer, going places we wouldn't dare, bringing us horrific images, and making it sound like just another day. My hat is off to you

Snow?

Hope they are making snow this evening, every day I get more depressed.

Want to get the new(er) ride out and play.

Quote Originally Posted by brucelore View Post
    Hope they are making snow this evening, every day I get more depressed.

Want to get the new(er) ride out and play.
    Still too warm and humid. Tomorrow night looks better for snow-making weather.

Im beginning to develop carve withdrawal . When do you guys think it will be carvable?

I would guess the snow making will be sketchy until Sunday, then the temps look very promising. Given the right conditions, I've seen Buck lay down a substantial base in three days. I would bet that by Tuesday/Wednesday next week it'll be in great shape.

Quote Originally Posted by BobD View Post
    I would guess the snow making will be sketchy until Sunday, then the temps look very promising. Given the right conditions, I've seen Buck lay down a substantial base in three days. I would bet that by Tuesday/Wednesday next week it'll be in great shape.
    keep in mind that it will be awhile before they get the park equipment off the runs. last i saw buck hasn't blown snow over on the south side.

limited lane space, crowds, and unruly kids... until the park equip is gone i would be hesitant to breaking out the hardboots.
    ... I'm just saying.
    "

-Saul Goodman, ESQ.

12/3/11

Morning

late start this morning. pulled into the parking lot around 9:30-ish. as i was gathering my gear i caught a glimpse of someone carving down the run. turned out to be erik.

i rode softboots. conditions were not great but not terrible. light was flat. there's dirt covered snow under the towers. only crossroads and milk were accessible.

my biggest complaint was the number of ski teams that were out on the run doing snakes. all i kept thinking of was this...

... I'm just saying.
    "

-Saul Goodman, ESQ.

12/4/11

Morning

there were a couple inches of new snow. there was some cord and soft snow. there's still a few blades of grass poking through the snow under the lift. top of the lift there's some dirt and debris in the snow. out on the run there were areas were it was thin and/or deep enough to boot out. light was flat.

joe, erik, alex were in hardboots. there was a g-team kid there too. karl and i were in softboots. i had to convince myself i made the right decision. think i did.

after awhile the top slope of crossroads got scraped off. washboard ice underneath.

park equipment still on milk. took one run, was okay.

tried the rope tow. i cannot grip that damn thing more than two runs. slips through my gloves. need to eat my spinach.
    ... I'm just saying.
    "

-Saul Goodman, ESQ.

Quote Originally Posted by bobble View Post

tried the rope tow. i cannot grip that damn thing more than two runs. slips through my gloves. need to eat my spinach.
    Following Joe up that thing is like trying to keep up with the energizer bunny.

Quote Originally Posted by bobble View Post

There is a trick to it.

Wrap your trailing (right arm if you are reg. footed) arm around your back, not out front. You end up leaning back against your arm, kind of locks you in.
    Also, try and not let the rope slip when you grab it. Grab and go........
    Last edited by MUD; December 5th, 2011 at 12:07 PM.
    Doug in MN

12/5/11

Evening

very bad evening to go out on hardboots.
    • park equipment was added onto crossroads near the towers.
    • ski teams were there in large numbers. they stood out on the middle of the run. my guess is about 50 people in groups just standing there. at one point they formed a long wall across the run that made it difficult to get by unscathed (wish i had a camera).
    • jibbers were riding the rope tow and cutting across crossroads.

the snow was okay. seemed fast on crossroads. didn't bother with milk due to the snowguns blasting away.

at most i got two carved turns. the rest was sketching or slarving.

left after maybe 5-6 runs. it was too dangerous. if you stayed home, you made the right decision.

EDIT: forgot to mention. rode the chair lift with a ski patrol who said he used to ride alpine and was thinking of breaking it out one of these days. he mostly rides monday evenings. i tried to encourage him to come out on weekends, especially sundays. his name is jim.
    Last edited by bobble; December 6th, 2011 at 03:02 AM. Reason: cuz i felt like it
    ... I'm just saying.
    "

-Saul Goodman, ESQ.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread Information