Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Mt Hood Meadows Reports 2011-2012

Hey Bryan ...
    And this photo is to prove that I thought about coming to look for you at Shooting Star area !!!
    But decided that I would leave you alone to ride the Awesome snow today ...
    and not bother you with following me with your video camera etc on such a great day. Maybe next time I will hunt you down ...or ...call you on the radio !!! But will have to be after ASPEN as I am not sure I should go to Meadows again this week as I will be away for 16 days.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Nice shot Gavin.

You HAVE a radio?? It is easier to call and meet up if you have one. We are all tuned to the same channel (most of the time)

Here is a photo I asked Jim to take of me with the Burner Plate set up. The board is one Mike T has used for years for different set ups and mods. I wanted to show him I did test it. Then I ended up riding up on him while he was being "Instructor" for the day. His son in law was learning to snowboard.

Sorry we didn't get to ride together. Thanks for the proof you were there.

Jim, thanks for the "Beer Stop". I had the best run of the day leaving the Marzot
    SEARCHING TIP: go to GOOGLE and add this to the end of your search terms- site:bomberonline.com

Accident on VISTA??

Just got a text from a friend about an accident he saw up at MHM in the Vista area. Anyone know anything about this? Injuries? Who was involved?

He said they were alpine riders (both people involved) , he was some distance away.

Bryan
    Last edited by www.oldsnowboards.com; January 27th, 2012 at 08:26 PM.
    SEARCHING TIP: go to GOOGLE and add this to the end of your search terms- site:bomberonline.com

That's aweful news !
    I was not there ...so have no info!
    Rushing to get ready for Aspen...
    So I am safe and sound at home!!
    Leaving my house at 3:30am
    Hope no serious injuries to any of those riders !!
    Gavin

Glad to hear you are Ok Gavin. The friend gave me a few details that make me fear it might have been Mike T. Yes, let's hope everyone rode away?

Safe journey!! PLEASE give a few reports "Back Home" while you are off getting your EC on!!
    Last edited by www.oldsnowboards.com; January 27th, 2012 at 08:44 PM.

Unhappy Accident

I think it may have been Dan and me that someone saw with the accident on Vista.

It was such a beautiful morning, all the runs on the Vista side of the mountain were fantastic, grippy chalk. Totally stoked all morning. Toward the end of the morning around 11 Dan and I went up Vista when it opened up.

We started down Texas Trail, Dan went first, I started in afterward. I picked up some speed and noticed I was coming on kind of hot when Dan pulled an amazingly beautiful laid out toeside. This scrubbed his speed down much more than I anticipated and I decided to try to go toward skier's right in order veer clear of him when he did his next heelside. His next heelside though was another nearly laid out carve (obviously he was enjoying himself), caught me still in the middle of my heel-toe transition and I ended up hitting the tail of his board, and I think I may have bumped his torso a bit.

I was going at a decent clip so this essentially launched me face first down the slope and belly flopped. Painful. I had the wind knocked out of me so I was lying on the snow moaning and groaning for a good minute. By the time I was able to look up and clear the snow out of my goggles I saw Dan looking up at me from downslope. He looked relatively unscathed. After I yelled some apologies down the slope, he got up and took off down the run. I'm sure I pissed him off... not that I blame him.

Anyway, I feel so bad. Totally jackass move on my part. I messaged him through the board but I haven't heard back from him yet... hopefully he and his board are unscathed.

So that's probably the accident you heard about Bryan... I'm amazed that you heard about it at all... you've really got your finger on the pulse of this community!

Thanks for the report. I am just glad no one ended up seriously injured.

Following someone is always potentially dangerous. Until you know each other's style and patterns it is better to leave lots of room.

Glad you all got a great day on the hill. Wish I had been there too!!

Take care and write a note too self

Yep, been around a while, got eyes everywhere.

Not sure whats up tomorrow ? Rain or snow ? Might ride MHM if conditions look reasonable . If not maybe teusday ? Any predictions....

Quote Originally Posted by P06781 View Post
    Not sure whats up tomorrow ? Rain or snow ? Might ride MHM if conditions look reasonable . If not maybe teusday ? Any predictions....
    Hey Jim, might be a transition day? Looks like storming for several days? The good news is freezing level is on it's way back down?

Probably Tuesday for me.

I will watch the late news/weather.

Hey rode yesterday and it was really good. The "threat of wind" seemed to keep most at home. Good 7" new overnight with sun and dying winds. Progressive openings of heather then vista then cascade made the fresh tracks keep coming . The upper mountain was sorta wind hammered but still lots of fun .

Ride again maybe sunday and monday ? Sun and alpine carving coming up .

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by P06781 View Post
    Hey rode yesterday and it was really good. The "threat of wind" seemed to keep most at home. Good 7" new overnight with sun and dying winds. Progressive openings of heather then vista then cascade made the fresh tracks keep coming . The upper mountain was sorta wind hammered but still lots of fun .

Ride again maybe sunday and monday ? Sun and alpine carving coming up .

Jim
    I think you got the last big dump for a while. My nephew was up there with friends and said it was "Sweet" , fresh snow, sun , low wind and no crowd. I was glad he had a good time. Trying to get him and his family hooked on snow sliding.

Thursday 020212 Sun and Fun!!

Really nice to ride relatively cold dry snow in the sun!!! Focused on the groomers, they were soft but good. Snow was still pretty dry , it got cut up fast because it was fresh soft groomers. Friday I would expect will be firmer. More sun too!!

Another near miss so to speak. Alpine rider Mike H. managed to stuff his tips which resulted in a high energy fall. Saw it from the chair, it was a seriously fast explosion of parts and pieces. Racked but not seriously hurt.

Jim was doing some photography work and we had made a couple passes as instructed. May have created a bit of a rut Just glad he didn't end up in the Emergency Ward.

Met Darrell and encouraged him to join BOL. He is riding an alpine board set up with soft boots.

Quote Originally Posted by www.oldsnowboards.com View Post
    Really nice to ride relatively cold dry snow in the sun!!! Focused on the groomers, they were soft but good. Snow was still pretty dry , it got cut up fast because it was fresh soft groomers. Friday I would expect will be firmer. More sun too!!

Another near miss so to speak. Alpine rider Mike H. managed to stuff his tips which resulted in a high energy fall. Saw it from the chair, it was a seriously fast explosion of parts and pieces. Racked but not seriously hurt.

Jim was doing some photography work and we had made a couple passes as instructed. May have created a bit of a rut Just glad he didn't end up in the Emergency Ward.

Met Darrell and encouraged him to join BOL. He is riding an alpine board set up with soft boots.
    Great pictures ! Love the dramatic lighting of Hood .

Thanks Jim M.

Looks like Mt Hood was having a bad hair day?

Love that early morning light. I was earlier than normal. Couldn't sleep I was so excited to go again.

Still looking for a good time for "Beer and Pizza" at oldsnowboards house. Everyone is so busy it seems.

Hoping Dan (PdxDan), Jim M, Mike T (called Tinks, he will let me know when he comes into town next) Typcially when a new creation needs a base grind. Tim F. (old snowbro from way back) Ross E, Gavin B. It would be crazy good if Ed could find a way.
    Love to introduce some new friends to old friends. Sam (2curious), Dan L, Jim, Greg W, Darrel etc. etc. Not to mention any out of towners , Mike H. Mike T, Abel, Greg, Etc etc could come.

Anyways, I am working on the rental and will likely have a few beers late. What is the best night of the week for most folks???
    Last edited by www.oldsnowboards.com; February 3rd, 2012 at 01:48 PM.

Thanks Jim M.

Looks like Mt Hood was having a bad hair day?

Love that early morning light. I was earlier than normal. Couldn't sleep I was so excited to go again.

Still looking for a good time for "Beer and Pizza" at oldsnowboards house. Everyone is so busy it seems.

Hoping Dan (PdxDan), Jim M, Mike T (called Tinks, he will let me know when he comes into town next) Typcially when a new creation needs a base grind. Tim F. (old snowbro from way back) Ross E, Gavin B. It would be crazy good if Ed could find a way.
    Love to introduce some new friends to old friends. Sam (2curious), Dan L, Jim, Greg W, Darrel etc. etc. Not to mention any out of towners , Mike H. Mike T, Abel, Greg, Etc etc could come.

Anyways, I am working on the rental and will likely have a few beers late. What is the best night of the week for most folks???
    Hey Bryan, it would be great to do a "beer, boards, and pizza" meetup. Friday or Saturday are the best nights for me most weeks. I'll be around President's day weekend too, so maybe the Sunday before President's Day would work.

On another note, any Portlanders heading over to NICE? I'm planning on heading out from Wednesday - Sunday (2/22-2/26), and I'll be driving if anyone wants to carpool.
    ----------------------------------------
    "Is that more fun than snowboarding?"

http://www.skihood.com/Store/Product...es/Spring-Pass

Someone asked me about this a week or so ago.

So when does meadows close? Was maybe thinking of a spring pass
    In Ruts We Trust

Quote Originally Posted by Pusbag View Post
    So when does meadows close? Was maybe thinking of a spring pass
    They typically decide dependant on the number of people showing up. They often go to weekends only the last couple weeks. General rule is first week of May. So. you have March and April. Keeping in mind Timberline runs later in addition.

They typically decide dependant on the number of people showing up. They often go to weekends only the last couple weeks. General rule is first week of May. So. you have March and April. Keeping in mind Timberline runs later in addition.
    This year they actually committed to a date already: "Currently the resort is scheduled to operate daily through April 29." Like Bryan said, they usually go to weekend-only for a few weekends in May, depending on traffic.

Let us know if you decide to come up -- I'm going to be grabbing a pass and trying to sneak in as many weekdays as I can!

Wednesday should be good... Low temps and lots of new snow to grind in. I will be up along with a few other hard booters.

Meadows on Thursday?

Anyone planning on being up there on Thursday? Just got a spring pass last week and was out the first time since a skier ran into me and broke my collarbone last season. Was scary and unbelievably great getting back on the board. Big yeeeehaws!!! doing laps on Shooting Star Ridge!

Quote Originally Posted by somethingaboutcarvin View Post
    Wednesday should be good... Low temps and lots of new snow to grind in. I will be up along with a few other hard booters.
    Body is arguing but I am working my way out the door today. Dan, I have a nice Donek is the truck for you to look at?

See you guys out there . Bryan

Name:  fourhorseman (Medium).jpg
Views: 141
Size:  73.7 KBName:  P1120642 (Medium).JPG
Views: 141
Size:  63.3 KBName:  IMG_3271 (Medium).JPG
Views: 138
Size:  60.0 KB

Mission accomplished!!!!!!! I was overdue for a day like today!! Thanks for the fun guys!!
    Dan, let me know how you like it.
    Weather was pretty close to ideal. Snow was firm up higher, softer down lower. As long as it didn't get too warm this afternoon the groomers should be good Thursday too.
    Bryan

Full quad of Tinklers (thanks Dan for taking the photo)
    Wide TNT with Plate and BP cants. (still too wide for me)
    Mt Hood from White River bridge.
    Last edited by www.oldsnowboards.com; March 7th, 2012 at 05:34 PM.

Thats a day I need maybe I can get up next week

Timberline Ski Area Spring Pass on Sale 110$

There has not been allot of action on the Timberline thread this season so I figure I will post it here instead.

Timberline Spring Pass on sale. 110$ good now until May28th. Looks like they threw in a bonus Summer half off ticket too, which is nice.

http://www.timberlinelodge.com/play/...m_medium=email

Wow, can we have any more storms in a row?? Plan to be there Thursday and Friday this week. Bring your favorite pow gear.

dl

Hey Dan, finally made it up today. Deep, good snow, low wind. Lots of powder hounds, parking lot was nearly full when I left at noon. Road near White River was blocked by an accident, took HWY35 to HR. Saw Randy in the AM liftline. It was a bit warmish as I was leaving. A friend told me yesterday started out rainy/sleety but turn to DUMPING and very few people. Said he was getting fresh track up till he left at 3pm!!!. Timing is everything.

Afraid, I will not likely be up to another day Thursday. Have fun!!!

Update. Just saw on the news it was an avalanche that dumped 4' of snow on the road. Evidently trapping a car or two. No one injured. Channel 8 news at 5PM.

Pic Nic Table photo taken this morning by an MHM employee.

DEEP powder day at Meadows today, even though they didn't get much fresh last night. They opened Heather and Vista, but haven't opened Cascade in this storm cycle -- apparently they're digging out, so it could be great up there on Friday.

It got sunny and above freezing today, but the snow was staying pretty soft/fluffy and not melting too much. Tomorrow should be a great carving day on the groom. Not much fresh left except off of Cascade -- the Hood River crew has done their work.

Thumbs up Easter Sunday trenches!

Hey Meadows crew, anyone heading up on Easter Sunday?

It's usually pretty dead that day - I'm going to get my first day on my new-to-me Coiler Monster. Looks like there is likely to be some melt/freeze on Saturday/Saturday night, so it will probably be firm, but at least there won't be any worries about stuffing the nose.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information