Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Chair accident at Sugarloaf

Chair accident at Sugarloaf

Crud!

http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2010/12/28...resort/?hpt=T2

I know Jack is there this week.

Lets hope he checks in soon and safely
    __________________________________________________ ________________________________________
    http://forums.softballfans.com/image.php?u=294&type=sigpic&dateline=1308675982
    Embrace the Vision of Success

I was on the other side of this unique "double-runner" style chairlift when this happened. I saw the other side stop with a strange jerk that I had never seen before. Then we came up to the scene where the rope was on the ground, and it was a very scary and bizzare thing to behold. And then I saw my mother - she was on the side that crashed, on one of the chairs that hit the ground. She is ok. Very shaken-up and some bruises, but basically fine. She skied down on her own. I took some pics of the scene with my wife's phone that I will post later when I can download them. According to my mom, the crash appeared to be caused by a mechanic who was up on the tower. He was banging on the shieve-train with a hammer or something, which they are known to do from time to time for god knows what reason, but he was doing that around the time the rope came off the wheels somehow. The worst looking injury was a guy pinned under a chair and he couldn't get himself out, I believe due to his injuries, but he was conscious.

I hope Sugarloaf gets the message loud and clear, they need to stop spending money on stupid fluff while the wheels are literally falling off the bus.

More later. Here is Sugarloaf's press release:
    http://www.sugarloaf.com/Corporate/M...pillway_2.html
    Last edited by Jack Michaud; December 28th, 2010 at 07:20 PM.
    new here? check out the Welcome Center and FAQs

Wow Jack...glad to hear your Mom is ok and hopefully everyone else will be as well. I was beginning to wonder when John said he called you and your wife and had no answer....see you Thursday

Oh wow! Very glad to hear your mom was not injured. I hope none of the injuries are serious.

Glad to hear you're all okay, saw this on the news before I saw the post and though, man I hope Jack is okay...
    Rippin' with rednecks down in Possum's Pouch.... SkiNC

Thank God nobody is hurt badly. An awful accident. It was even on the newsbulletin here in the Netherlands. The message told the accident had happened through severe high winds.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Michaud View Post
    I was on the other side of this unique "double-runner" style chairlift when this happened. I saw the other side stop with a strange jerk that I had never seen before. Then we came up to the scene where the rope was on the ground, and it was a very scary and bizzare thing to behold. And then I saw my mother - she was on the side that crashed, on one of the chairs that hit the ground. She is ok. Very shaken-up and some bruises, but basically fine.
    Jack - wow that is scary. Glad she seems to be ok. If she is shaken up and bruised I would let Sugarloaf pay for some med care and have her be examined and possibly even an overnight in hospital for observation. Things like bruised kidneys and internal injuries won't show at first other than just not feeling great. It sounds like she did hit the ground and deceleration injuries don't show immediately.

Prayers and vibes for all who were injured.
    Quote Originally Posted by eajracing View Post
    ....just dont let it intimidate you..... long boards with big scr's smell fear and will hand you your ass if you let them.

pics

Fortunately we just had a 2 foot (60cm) storm Sunday night into Monday, so the landing wasn't solid ice.

This is the woman my mother was riding with, and to the right is the chair they were on.

A few chairs downhill of my mom. These chairs had the worst fall, as you can see. My mom can be seen in a red jacket standing up to the left of the rope.

This guy on the ground appeared to be the most injured. He was conscious, but could not remove himself from under the chair, I assume due to his injuries.

a flattened chair.

Last edited by Jack Michaud; December 28th, 2010 at 12:21 PM.

Sugarloaf chair.

Holy ****
    Last edited by Jack Michaud; December 28th, 2010 at 12:37 PM. Reason: don't defeat the swear censor.
    "No hat, no stick, no pipe, not even a pocket handkerchief. How can one survive? "

thanks for the vibes. amazing how news spreads, and that if they don't know what happened, they just make stuff up. Wind had nothing to do with it.

Dang Jack, glad all you guys are ok especially your mom. I was suppose to be on the way up to the Loaf right now.

legal advice

Not that I'm qualified to dispense any, but Jack - zip it until you get a lawyer onboard. Take lots of pictures. It doesn't look all that windy from here. Good Luck, and all the best to your Mom.

afterthought

Not that I'm recommending legal action against a resort - but you appear to be skating over deep, dark water.

Quote Originally Posted by GeoffV View Post
    Dang Jack, glad all you guys are ok especially your mom. I was suppose to be on the way up to the Loaf right now.
    They resumed loading Superquad and Bateu T-bar in the afternoon, and fired up Bucksaw. King Pine has not been running due to wind, but that is supposed to die down.

Quote Originally Posted by OhD View Post
    Not that I'm qualified to dispense any, but Jack - zip it until you get a lawyer onboard. Take lots of pictures. It doesn't look all that windy from here. Good Luck, and all the best to your Mom.
    I'll choose my words carefully, thanks.

Wow, pretty scary.
    Luc
    Hot Shine 168 (148RL, 20.8W, R9.3m)
    Catek OS1
    Burton Reactors

Quote Originally Posted by OhD View Post
    Not that I'm recommending legal action against a resort - but you appear to be skating over deep, dark water.
    first off, To Jack and family, thank God your alright. But I always thought the moment you bought a lift ticket/season pass it is the same as signing a liability waiver? maybe not in extreme cases such as this. When I went buddy jump sky diving, I signed a release that nobody gets to sue if the parachute doesn't open, etc. Should the resort be held responsible for an accident like this if it really is poor maintenance and such, absolutely...but it's going to be one hell of a legal battle.

Major snowstorm was a blessing in more ways than 1.

Vibes to all employees & guests involved, for mental and emotional trauma too.

PS That chair system looks like a maintenance nightmare.
    Last edited by b0ardski; December 28th, 2010 at 01:40 PM.
    N.I.C.E. at Schwietzer
    metal binders, plastic boots, powder snow, vive la glisse
    "
    Any cat can make cord. Only God can make powder." John E

Jack, first off super glad your mom is okay. Those pictures are crazy.

Was at Sunday River all day, crazy wind here too. Word got over around 11-12ish.

Quote Originally Posted by wingnuts514 View Post
    But I always thought the moment you bought a lift ticket/season pass it is the same as signing a liability waiver? maybe not in extreme cases such as this. When I went buddy jump sky diving, I signed a release that nobody gets to sue if the parachute doesn't open, etc.
    This is always one of the first questions that comes up in law school torts classes. "What about the liability waiver on the back of lift tickets?" The answer? Its close to meaningless. Think about it. If it was that easy to insulate yourself from liability, wouldn't everybody be doing it? "By purchasing this car, you're accepting that driving is a dangerous activity and that automobile parts are under constant stress and occasionally fail without warning." I don't think that would stop many lawsuits if it turned out an axle or some other part was made of sub-standard materials, or that a factory didn't tighten bolts properly. The wording on lift tickets can help a resort's case that they warned their customers adequately, but they don't offer absolution for negligence.
    Last edited by scrapster; December 28th, 2010 at 02:24 PM.
    "''planter ben red' can be put very simply into ''the board stopped freakin fast kinda on its own''--Bomber-member Pat

Wow. One of my nightmares, really.

So glad your mother made it out of her fall okay!

Can't imagine any liability protection for a resort in this situation.

Can we PLEASE leave the legal crap out of this, Im sure Fin would agree.
    __________________________________________________ ________________________________________

Quote Originally Posted by carvedog View Post
    Jack - wow that is scary. Glad she seems to be ok. If she is shaken up and bruised I would let Sugarloaf pay for some med care and have her be examined and possibly even an overnight in hospital for observation. Things like bruised kidneys and internal injuries won't show at first other than just not feeling great. It sounds like she did hit the ground and deceleration injuries don't show immediately.

Prayers and vibes for all who were injured.
    I am with Carvedog on this one. Like a car accident, sometimes the adrenaline mask a lot of pain. Some of the issues with soft tissue in the back may not show up for a couple of days or even longer.

Discourage her from signing anything saying she is fine if the lawyers or Sugarloaf's insurance company come around.

Hi Jack,
    We are very glad that you and your family are ok. We were hoping to get in touch with you about your experience. Can you contact me anthonyv.quintano@nbcuni.com

Thanks,
    Anthony Quintano
    Community Manager
    NBC News

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Michaud View Post
    Fortunately we just had a 2 foot (60cm) storm Sunday night into Monday, so the landing wasn't solid ice.

This is the woman my mother was riding with, and to the right is the chair they were on.

A few chairs downhill of my mom. These chairs had the worst fall, as you can see. My mom can be seen in a red jacket standing up to the left of the rope.

This guy on the ground appeared to be the most injured. He was conscious, but could not remove himself from under the chair, I assume due to his injuries.

a flattened chair.

well how much $$$ are you offering for an exclusive?

Thanks again everyone for the kind words and good advice. I just talked to my mom again and she confirmed this had absolutely nothing to do with wind. Like I said, my wife and I were on the other side of the lift at the time, and I don't remember any significant wind either.

Quote Originally Posted by Buell View Post
    Discourage her from signing anything saying she is fine if the lawyers or Sugarloaf's insurance company come around.
    Good point, hadn't thought of that one.

Quote Originally Posted by wingnuts514 View Post
    ............ I signed a release that nobody gets to sue if the parachute doesn't open, etc. Should the resort be held responsible for an accident like this if it really is poor maintenance and such, absolutely...but it's going to be one hell of a legal battle.
    The actual term release is even changing in some areas. The form we had people sign for river rafting was called an "Acknowledgement of Risk Form".
    You cannot sign a waiver that excuses negligence. That "waiver" doesn't exist. The idea that you "waive" your rights is ridiculous. So is the idea of a Risk Waiver or Release.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Buggs View Post
    Can we PLEASE leave the legal crap out of this, Im sure Fin would agree.
    It doesn't hurt to discuss some of this stuff and it doesn't involve Fin or Bomber or product liability in any way.

Quote Originally Posted by Buell View Post
    I am with Carvedog on this one. Like a car accident, sometimes the adrenaline mask a lot of pain. Some of the issues with soft tissue in the back may not show up for a couple of days or even longer.

I am sure you are taking care of her Jack, just from what has been said I would want her to be checked out thoroughly. And definitely no signing of anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by eajracing View Post
    ....just dont let it intimidate you..... long boards with big scr's smell fear and will hand you your ass if you let them.

Quote Originally Posted by carvedog View Post
    It doesn't hurt to discuss some of this stuff and it doesn't involve Fin or Bomber or product liability in any way.
    You are a fool, I didnt say it involved Fin. The Less comments made here about this episode the better. Jack should consider closing this thread.

Didn't mean to take the thread down a wrong turn. I find the legal stuff (at least from a theoretical perspective) pretty fascinating--and potentially helpful to know.

Bottom line--I'm glad more people weren't hurt and I hope that those that were heal soon and have the fire to ride/ski again.
    "''planter ben red' can be put very simply into ''the board stopped freakin fast kinda on its own''--Bomber-member Pat

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information