Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 LastLast

Thread: AIL "Alpine Injured List"

So - has anyone taken the time to tally the number and types of injuries on this thread? I'm curious but not curious enough to tally it up.

Add me to the list although not boarding at the time. Was doing pushups. Next thing I know Triple Bypass. This coming from a 63 year old 5'9" 142 lb. really good aerobic shape, having given up red meat, almost all cheese, fried foods, and most things that would clog a carwash drain. Father 1st heart attack at 41 dead at 61. Doing fine, no heart damage, knew enough to go to emergency with the slightest odd feeling from chest to upper right arm, maybe equivalent to less than one pound of pressure. So I'm just dropping this note to make you guys aware that you should read this book (no I don't get a cut).

http://www.amazon.com/Prevent-Revers...5887500&sr=1-1

Fully expect to be fitter because my heart is pumping considerbly more blood with the bypass. So I hope you take note.
    Last edited by bumpyride; May 1st, 2012 at 10:36 AM.

Bumpyride!! Congrats on being so pro active and as a result "Being Alive" today!!! Heal well and keep on keeping on!!!
    You are living the lifestyle I need to move toward. Thanks for the book tip. Take care and keep us up to date with your progress. Bryan

Great to have you up and about!
    Need to get together soon.
    Ken and Jane Watching the sunset
    on Honeymoon Island, Florida

Bumpyride -

From what I understand, you can do everything right but you can't change your genetics. Genetics play a greater role than we think. Hope you heal well.

Quote Originally Posted by John E View Post
    Bumpyride -

From what I understand, you can do everything right but you can't change your genetics. Genetics play a greater role than we think. Hope you heal well.
    That's exactly what the Heart Docs said. Because of me they're changing how much of a greater roll that they are placing on the genetic factor. If I had implemented the Animal Free diet 20 years previously chances are it wouldn't have happened. You can't change the genetics, but you can keep the genetics from turning on with the right diet. Same holds true for Diabetes, Macular Degeneration, Cancer and a host of other diseases. Chances improve with diet, and I fully expect the be clearing out the cholesterol (which is an pretty much solely an animal product) with a statin and continuing on a more vegan diet. This is why I put in the link to the book.

Thanks for the well wishes guys. My real hope is that some will read and prevent this from happening.

BTW, the typical symptoms are usually LEFT arm pain and chest pressure. Granted you can have almost any kind of symptom, I've even seen someone with a "weird toothache" who ended having a heart attack. But when physicians talk about "typical angina", this usually means chest pressure, possibly with pain radiating to the left arm, sometimes associated with shortness of breath, sweatiness, or nausea, and associated with exertion.

Mine was no pain, slight unease, nothing I wouldn't have disregarded a couple of years back. Lots of stories in the Hospital from Nurses whom had lost their husbands in their 40's. One thought he had a cold, another was a miserable SOB and his wife said "I know I should feel bad.", another just dropped.

Giant Retinal Detachment and Tear

Two weeks ago I had a retinal detachment and tear in the right eye, went to the dr. and he did in office lazer treatment to secure it from getting worse. Couple days later I had a "Giant" retina tear / detachment. With emergency surgery that day. Three hours of surgery they installed a "Buckle" around the outside of the eye and stitched that on, removed was remained of the vitreous material, lots of repairing the damages and more lazer surgery to tack it down. Large gas bubble injected in the eye to help "float" the retina back. Several days of "Face Down" positioning then alternating vertial positioning with face down. I am still pretty much blind in the right eye. After todays visit the surgeon states it is where he would expect it to be with minimal slippage. It will be weeks before what sight I have in the eye returns. I am anxious but hopeful.

Thank you to those who knew about my issues and offered help. Thank you for your kind thoughts and prayers. I am encouraged by todays checkup.

Bryan
    Last edited by www.oldsnowboards.com; June 5th, 2012 at 02:07 PM.

Holy crap Bryan, how did you do that? I couldn't even read your description, it had me squirming in my chair.

If it makes you feel any better, my dad lost vision in one eye as a kid and still was able to race cars & snowmobiles competitively. Your brain figures out other ways to judge distance after a short while. Your snowboarding fun is not in jeopardy.

Best of luck!

The first time I heard about one of these was 2 days ago. Same scenario from a carpenter. He recovered completely. Best of luck to you Bryan.

Holy crap Bryan! I'm really sorry to hear that. Was it your dominant eye?

I hope you have a quick and uneventful recovery. How in the world did you do that btw? Spontaneously?

Sam.

Bryan,

So sorry to hear about your eye! Having gone through corrective eye surgery in the dark ages (with complications), I am very thankful for my eyesight. Keep us up to date on your condition.

My thoughts and prayers to you, Sir!

James
    "Carving is like amplitude modulation. Think about it... Juwan, STOP THINKING!" ~ Big Mario

Quote Originally Posted by www.oldsnowboards.com View Post
    Two weeks ago I had a retinal detachment and tear in the right eye, went to the dr. and he did in office lazer treatment to secure it from getting worse. Couple days later I had a "Giant" retina tear / detachment. With emergency surgery that day. Three hours of surgery they installed a "Buckle" around the outside of the eye and stitched that on, removed was remained of the vitreous material, lots of repairing the damages and more lazer surgery to tack it down. Large gas bubble injected in the eye to help "float" the retina back. Several days of "Face Down" positioning then alternating vertial positioning with face down. I am still pretty much blind in the right eye. After todays visit the surgeon states it is where he would expect it to be with minimal slippage. It will be weeks before what sight I have in the eye returns. I am anxious but hopeful.

It has not been easy to type or move around. This is why I removed the sale items I had listed.

Thank you to those who knew about my issues and offered help. Thank you for your kind thoughts and prayers. I struggle with my limited sight yet I am encouraged by todays checkup.

Bryan

Bryan -- Hope it heals well and quickly--- I did the retina tear last year... and that Fn Bubble... What a pain in the butt, but it did get better every day and less and less bubble was in the eye. in a couple of weeks or so I could start to see the sky and a few tall tree tops.. couple days later I finally saw the horizon. then was able to see the dash board of my car and then then the gear shift and then slowly less and less bubble and more eye sight.

Keep us posted on your condition.
    Al

A Professional Amateur Golfer

Holy smokes, Bryan!
    Heal well and fast. I'm sure you'll be fine for the start of the next season.
    INSTRUCTION | CASI L2 - hard boots all the way! | Vancouver Carvers' Diaries 2013/14 | Items for sale

Thanks for the postive vibes everyone.

No, I didn't do anything. No accident etc.

I have been dealing with eye issues for a few years. I had blocking floaters four years ago ( so many that they obscured my vision) , at that time I had a vitrectomy and some preventative lazer spot welding on the retina. This , expectedly led to a catarac which was removed a few months ago. Things were finally looking good , then this.
    Last edited by www.oldsnowboards.com; June 5th, 2012 at 01:54 PM.

Bryan - What a drag! I do hope you heal fast and some decent site returns to your right eye. It IS amazing what can be done. Give it time and hang in there.

Cheers,
    Max

My dad had a giant detachment about fifteen or more years ago. After 6 weeks of recovery with the big gas bubble, his vision was remarkably restored. I hope it goes as well for you.
    The older I get, the longer it hurts.

Quote Originally Posted by grayontray View Post
    Bryan - What a drag! I do hope you heal fast and some decent site returns to your right eye. It IS amazing what can be done. Give it time and hang in there.

Cheers,
    Max
    Thanks Max, yes, laying on my back for almost 3 hours of surgery . I was thankful for the skills of those at the Casey Eye Instute and the modern tools at their disposal. It was a late night emergency surgery and their were five individuals that worked really hard the entire time to make the repairs. I know because I was awake during the process.

Quote Originally Posted by Kimo View Post
    My dad had a giant detachment about fifteen or more years ago. After 6 weeks of recovery with the big gas bubble, his vision was remarkably restored. I hope it goes as well for you.
    Thanks so much for that Kimo. It means allot to hear about the success stories. Not to mention it is just good to hear from you. Bryan

Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Bottle View Post
    Bryan,

So sorry to hear about your eye! Having gone through corrective eye surgery in the dark ages (with complications), I am very thankful for my eyesight. Keep us up to date on your condition.

My thoughts and prayers to you, Sir!

James
    Thanks James, I am glad you can see too!! Sure makes you appreciate what you have!!

Quote Originally Posted by C5 Golfer View Post
    Bryan -- Hope it heals well and quickly--- I did the retina tear last year... and that Fn Bubble... What a pain in the butt, but it did get better every day and less and less bubble was in the eye. in a couple of weeks or so I could start to see the sky and a few tall tree tops.. couple days later I finally saw the horizon. then was able to see the dash board of my car and then then the gear shift and then slowly less and less bubble and more eye sight.

Keep us posted on your condition.
    Thanks Al, I sure appreciate your reflection on how you healed. Thanks,

Quote Originally Posted by BlueB View Post
    Holy smokes, Bryan!
    Heal well and fast. I'm sure you'll be fine for the start of the next season.
    Thank you! I sure hope so, this is what really drives me.

Quote Originally Posted by corey_dyck View Post
    Holy crap Bryan, how did you do that? I couldn't even read your description, it had me squirming in my chair.

If it makes you feel any better, my dad lost vision in one eye as a kid and still was able to race cars & snowmobiles competitively. Your brain figures out other ways to judge distance after a short while. Your snowboarding fun is not in jeopardy.

Best of luck!
    My nephew was curious, searched youtube and his kids almost threw up while watching one of the videos.

Last edited by www.oldsnowboards.com; June 5th, 2012 at 01:55 PM.

Once again, I am just so thankful to be a part of such an amazing group of guys and gals. I sure appreciate the well wishes and prayers. I currently just glad to be able to communicate via email and online again. I should probably not quote everyone in my replies. I feel like I am clobbering the AIL thread. Thanks again. Bryan

Bryan, wishing you all the luck in the world with this.

I have a weak left eye, but with 20/20. I can guess how frustrating it is. Doing the driving license vision test one time, I was waiting for the left eye test, and the clerk asked if I could read any of the letters. I suddenly realized that because my right eye couldn't see anything, the left eye decided there must be nothing to look at and went blank. Once I knew, I blinked and could read off all the letters. It's weird stuff.
    Last edited by BobD; May 10th, 2012 at 07:59 PM.

Oh wow, didn't know about your eye, Bryan. Just got into this thread just now since I'm in the middle of the break before quiz review at noon.

Speedy recovery for your eyeball, mate!

Quote Originally Posted by LeeW View Post
    Oh wow, didn't know about your eye, Bryan. Just got into this thread just now since I'm in the middle of the break before quiz review at noon.

Speedy recovery for your eyeball, mate!
    Thanks Lee, good to see you back at BOL!! Hope all is well. Bryan
    Last edited by www.oldsnowboards.com; June 5th, 2012 at 01:57 PM.

Ouch! I rely so much on my not so great sight that I can barely imagine how hard it must be for you right now Bryan.I sincerely hope your healing prcoess is quick and has the best outome.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Prokopiw View Post
    Ouch! I rely so much on my not so great sight that I can barely imagine how hard it must be for you right now Bryan.I sincerely hope your healing prcoess is quick and has the best outome.
    Thanks Steve, yes, althought I have had some pretty serious boo-boos in the past four years. This may be the scarriest. The broken bones I figured would heal at least 80 to 90%, but this is much more of an unknown. Thank you. Bryan

Thread Information