Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: AIL "Alpine Injured List"

Dam Russ, I go away for a couple days and my carving partner gets taken out
    I hope Krystal can forgive herself as you obviously have.
    prayers to you & yours
    N.I.C.E. at Schwietzer
    metal binders, plastic boots, powder snow, vive la glisse
    "
    Any cat can make cord. Only God can make powder." John E

Bummer, Russ
    I can vouch for the merits of Ti as well, having had an IM nail in my right femur for 6 years now. Crutches got old pretty quickly, especially since I tore my left ulnar collateral ligament in the same wreck so had to use a crutch with an armrest taking the load on my elbow. The leg was bloated, oozing and ugly for a week or so, but everything healed up well and it's been perfectly useful since a few months after the fracture. Plan on working pretty hard at rehab - it will pay off.

All the best
    Dennis

broken tibia, 3 days before nationals. how much does this suck.

Sounds familiar...
    The older I get, the longer it hurts.

Boarderdude, describe how it happened? How old are you? Yep, Kimo, Myself, and many more on this site have been through this. Did you get a "TI Nail" . Mine was a "High Energy Tib/Fib" fracture. Several days in the hospital in ASPEN, while the SES and snow continued outside. Heal well!!

Good to see you post on the site Kimo. How are you these days?
    Personal Messaging is NOT working. Please post your email to make contact.
    SEARCHING TIP: go to GOOGLE and add this to the end of your search terms- site:bomberonline.com

Drs didnt say how it happend, went down pretty fast. missed a gate, ran into a pile of pow, nose dug in, and cartwheeled. im 14.

Quote Originally Posted by theboarderdude View Post
    Drs didnt say how it happend, went down pretty fast. missed a gate, ran into a pile of pow, nose dug in, and cartwheeled. im 14.
    So it didn't break the skin? No surgery needed? At 14 you will heal fast and be good to go. Should be able to "Work this" at school!! Got to get your story ready.
    SEARCHING TIP: go to GOOGLE and add this to the end of your search terms- site:bomberonline.com

nope none of that good stuff should be back to normal in 4-5 weeks. haha that should be fun

nope none of that good stuff should be back to normal in 4-5 weeks. haha that should be fun
    Good deal. Mine? surgery, 15" Ti nail, screws etc. 9 -12 weeks before I could put pressure on it. At 4 weeks it had not really even started to fuse. I was 50ish.

Mine was messed up. 4 or 5 pieces including a spiral fx. Plate and twelve screws. I was told to expect 4 months because of poor blood flow at the location of the fx. At three months, the spiral fx still hadn't started cortical bridging. After 11 months, I finally got the green light for riding SES. That was a fail. I sold back my ticket and cashed in my season pass via pass insurance. Still had fun at SES, though.
    The older I get, the longer it hurts.

Damn Kimo. I knew it was bad. Didn't realize it was that bad. Mine sounds like a piece of cake now.

Did ok last season. I have had some pain in my ankle and lower leg bone. A month ago I went up and had terrible pain in my leg I was not expecting. The back is keeping me away now. Rode today, but I am hurting.

Count your blessings, though.

I'm working a couple shifts as the attending at the Mountain Emergency Services clinic at Mount Hood Meadows.

One of my shifts this year ended up with a 15 year old with paraplegia after a T12 burst fracture. Totally tragic, and sad.

That is very , VERY sad. What should have been a fun day with family and friends ends up changing your life for ever.

Oh, to be 14 again......

You will recover and be stronger because of this life event.

Life often does not follow our self-scripted plan.

Sorry to hear of various injuries. Happy those of you have healed and are healing. Hang in. None of us have a contract. James Dean said it (and lived it) well: "Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die today." Ride on)

Hi,
    Let me describe what happened to me:
    In October 2010 i got hit by a skier from behind (and yes he didnt even stop to say he was sorry) and i lost control over my board and crashed realy bad...it didnt realy help that snow was frozen solid, and i was only warming up, since it was my second run of the day...Anyway, i dislocated my shoulder, reduced it and after a quick rest, continued snowboarding (not a good idea, thinking back ) and dislocated my shoulder again after two hours riding. Then i stoped snowboarding for a month as my doctor told me to, but it didnt help, my shoulder kept poping out, so i stopped snowboarding completely. This helped, until kiteboarding season didnt start...so til the end of summer 2011 i dislocated my shoulder about 10 times. I also had a realy ****ty doctor who would want to operate me, despite the fact that i had also dislocated my shoulder one time douring sleep. So i went to this other doctor who immediately scheduled me for surgery. CT scan showed anterior-inferiorly torn labrum and hill sachs lesion ......while waiting 3 months for surgery, i continued snowboarding, and had no recurent dislocations, because i used some kind of safety leash (i strapped my arm to my belt, so i couldnt lift my arm to high, wich was my "dislocation move" ). It really helped, except my backside became different. You can see this safety leash on my left arm in this video: http://vimeo.com/33837962 where i am trying new SENSE 181 with flax (which is brilliant btw). Video was shot on my last day snowboarding, 3 days before surgery (i know..im an addict).
    So i had my surgery done in december and it went really well (latarjet procedure)...three weeks of sling doing nothing, couple of weeks of mild streching an then a lot of PT. Now after 3 months of hard work i feel almost like before accident, there is still some weaknes, but it is leaving the body . I am planning to start snowboarding in the fall and kiteboarding next month, and i cant wait.
    Through this experience i realy learnt some lessons, i think that now i will be more aware of what am i doing while carving, and especially what others are doing.
    I also changed my helo sentence on my mobile phone from "touch the snow" to "dont touch the snow"
    Watch your shoulders.

Snowboard carving SENSE 181 from gašper oblak on Vimeo.

Kinda looks like you are still choosing to touch the snow?? When did you decide not to?

Really nice slope! Sorry you where injured, heal well.

So I got all staples out and got xrays. Everything looks good and now I can shower & bath like normal too. Kinda weird not having a cast but way better for sure. Next appointment april 17th. Will update after this visit. Peace and heal well all!
    In Ruts We Trust

Good on ya, Russ! Thanks for the update and glad to hear that life is returning (somewhat) to normal. Glad to hear it's all healing. Good thoughts coming your way) Cheers!

BlueB down

We had Thursday night racing at Cypress. Too soft snow, yet we still raced. I took the 1st place on snowboard, then got gready and switched to skis to try for double gold. Nasty wipe out at the bottom of the course, fractured hip... Season over...
    This was my first time down the mountain in tobogan, in 38 years of snowsports.
    I spent 26 hours in the ER of a nearby hospital, entertainig myself by counting injured skiers/riders (mostly riders actually) and listening to their stories.
    INSTRUCTION | CASI L2 - hard boots all the way! | Vancouver Carvers' Diaries 2013/14 | Items for sale

Sorry to here this BlueB. What can they do for a fractured hip? Isolate it how? Heal well!

At least you have the spring / summer to heal up.

Wow, sorry to hear about that Boris. Hope everything heals up well.

Dave
    "At one point I was seeing my bootfitter so much my wife was begining to think I was having an affair with him."

Thanks for good wishes guys.

Quote Originally Posted by www.oldsnowboards.com View Post
    What can they do for a fractured hip? Isolate it how?
    It is the greater trochanter that has the fracture. It's not dislocated, so they did nothing. Just take it easy until healed. I hardly can move at all, as is, now.
    INSTRUCTION | CASI L2 - hard boots all the way! | Vancouver Carvers' Diaries 2013/14 | Items for sale

Quote Originally Posted by BlueB View Post
    We had Thursday night racing at Cypress. Too soft snow, yet we still raced. I took the 1st place on snowboard, then got gready and switched to skis to try for double gold. Nasty wipe out at the bottom of the course, fractured hip... Season over...
    This was my first time down the mountain in tobogan, in 38 years of snowsports.
    I spent 26 hours in the ER of a nearby hospital, entertainig myself by counting injured skiers/riders (mostly riders actually) and listening to their stories.
    Sorry to hear that Boris!
    Do you mean socket around the femur?
    I hope you'll get better in time for skateboarding.
    Sunset over the Clyde Minaret '09

Quote Originally Posted by Cousin of Beagle View Post
    Ouch!
    Sunset over the Clyde Minaret '09

Yikes! That sucks Boris. Hope you heal well and feel better soon!
    "''planter ben red' can be put very simply into ''the board stopped freakin fast kinda on its own''--Bomber-member Pat

Good vibes your way, Boris. Here's to a fast recovery. Best of luck, Colin

In a hard fast sweeping carve on a very warm sunny day Saturday the 24th, the board came out from under me and I hit the ground in belly flop fashion but my right arm took the brunt. After the Ski Patrol collected me and sent me packing to the ER armed with nothing but a sling, I found that I sustained a spiral fracture of the proximal humorous extending to the humeral head (basically I broke my arm from the center of my bicep to my shoulder). It wasn’t until three days later at my follow up x-rays that they found my shoulder was also separated, a "slight oversight" by the ERdoc.... I was rushed to surgery and have been recovering ever since. Season over. I wont allow that to be my last run of the 11-12 ski year so I aim to hit Hood this summer.
    Name:  Rt ArmShoulder2.jpg
Views: 202
Size:  18.9 KB
    Evan
    Spokane

Duct tape that sucker to your side and get back out there!!!

Sorry to hear about this Evan. Thanks for the x-ray and the news. Heal fast!!.

Thread Information