Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: AIL "Alpine Injured List"

Hybrid View

AIL "Alpine Injured List"

Let's hope this thread recieves very few posts. However , I think it is important to provide help where and when we can. So many of you came to my aid over the past few years. It really made a big different. My thinking is it helps to alert folks of injuries sustained to BOL members, giving us a chance to provide help even if it is long distance.

I would caution those posting to be careful about providing personal information. Please check with the member before posting for them.

Providing links to other threads that include details about an injury would make sense. A way to bring it to the larger groups attention perhaps?

With that, I wish everyone a happy new year and an injury free season!!!
    Personal Messaging is NOT working. Please post your email to make contact.
    SEARCHING TIP: go to GOOGLE and add this to the end of your search terms- site:bomberonline.com

John Gilmour / Muscle Tear / Sprains / Mammoth CA

SEARCHING TIP: go to GOOGLE and add this to the end of your search terms- site:bomberonline.com

Yes Bryan, I agree, let's hope this is a short thread. Good idea though. Lets the community know who they can help.

Kieran - broken left wrist

Go out and ride. Everyone just STFU and riiide!!!

Knarly!! Heal fast!! Damn!!!

so i've broken my left wrist. yesterday was a so-so day until i found a really quiet and grippy run to play on. i'd been getting some really hard turns in all morning and was having more fun than, with the benefit of hindsight, was maybe safe. the board was working, the boots were working, and the smile was working. then i found a strange bit of terrain while heelsiding, and BOOM, i'm crossed-up, flipped over and punching the ground.

turns out my wristguards don't protect against this sort of impact. my helmet had some odd marks on it, and it doesn't knock true anymore. in the bin it goes.

i'll be getting stretched and pinned tomorrow, looks like i'm out until early feb. oh well.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

zero progress on the calf.... its been a week- but I discovered I hurt both ankles the left one really badly and jammed my big toe too...

The bruising that is coming out is pretty wild looking.

Another surgery???? perhaps uggghh.

So at this point I think January is a complete loss...

John, thanks for the update. Wish the news was better. Hang in there. Bryan

Gretchen Down

It saddens me to report that Gretchen just suffered 1/2 of a tib/fib. (Just the tib) While carving some really wet stuff, G generated a TON of speed and ultimately ended up going out the front. Rear released, front didn't.
    Luckily, the bone did not displace, and the fib is still intact. NO surgery, just a cast. (That's easy to say if you're not the one wearing it all summer.)
    It's just a shame to see her out of action when she really wants to be IN ACTION!

Oh no!!!!!! So very sorry to hear Gretchen is out of action for awhile!

Give her a hug from me & tell her I hope she heals quickly & well.
    'It's not every day that's a blessing. Every breath is a blessing.' - Jimmy Zell

Scott. Sorry to hear the news of Gretchen's injury. Where were you two riding? Mammoth? Glad that surgery was not required. Heal well!

Gretchen Down

Back to the ER this am. Gretchen was in horrific pain. TWO shots of morphine to calm it down. Apparently the splint was too tight and would not allow for swelling. She said she now understands what a 10 is when gauging pain.
    The second Dr. was not that sure about the no surgery thing. Won't know till we get to the orthopedic.
    Bryan, I was sort of trying to make light of the situation last night. The snow she was carving was run off, she was riding her new slalom ski. We've been talking about the concept of a progressive pull, where you pull hardest behind the boat. Well, she went for it. Through the wakes at 100mph then out the front ass over tea kettle. Front foot never came out of the ski. She has lace up bindings, and I think it's hard for her to get the back one tight. If she had stayed in both, or come out of both it wouldn't have been such a big deal.

Oh no! Give Gretchen my best wishes and I hope she heals fast. Dang, what a pain - just as the weather was starting to look good and all.

Hope to see her back on snow this winter.
    Silence is golden. Duct tape is silver.

kram is being missed

Me and my carving buddy "Kram" went to stevens pass on jan 11. Kram unfortunately flew off the run and broke a chunk off his fib where it attaches to the ankle. We are missing him and hopes he gets well soon.
    In Ruts We Trust

2 of eight

Bummer, Kram, heal fast, two weeks into 8 or so? Take care. I know that wasn't a fun ride home. Glad you were with friends. Bryan

So I got all staples out and got xrays. Everything looks good and now I can shower & bath like normal too. Kinda weird not having a cast but way better for sure. Next appointment april 17th. Will update after this visit. Peace and heal well all!
    In Ruts We Trust

Good on ya, Russ! Thanks for the update and glad to hear that life is returning (somewhat) to normal. Glad to hear it's all healing. Good thoughts coming your way) Cheers!

BlueB down

We had Thursday night racing at Cypress. Too soft snow, yet we still raced. I took the 1st place on snowboard, then got gready and switched to skis to try for double gold. Nasty wipe out at the bottom of the course, fractured hip... Season over...
    This was my first time down the mountain in tobogan, in 38 years of snowsports.
    I spent 26 hours in the ER of a nearby hospital, entertainig myself by counting injured skiers/riders (mostly riders actually) and listening to their stories.
    INSTRUCTION | CASI L2 - hard boots all the way! | Vancouver Carvers' Diaries 2013/14 | Items for sale

Sorry to here this BlueB. What can they do for a fractured hip? Isolate it how? Heal well!

At least you have the spring / summer to heal up.

Wow, sorry to hear about that Boris. Hope everything heals up well.

Dave
    "At one point I was seeing my bootfitter so much my wife was begining to think I was having an affair with him."

Thanks for good wishes guys.

Quote Originally Posted by www.oldsnowboards.com View Post
    What can they do for a fractured hip? Isolate it how?
    It is the greater trochanter that has the fracture. It's not dislocated, so they did nothing. Just take it easy until healed. I hardly can move at all, as is, now.
    INSTRUCTION | CASI L2 - hard boots all the way! | Vancouver Carvers' Diaries 2013/14 | Items for sale

Quote Originally Posted by BlueB View Post
    We had Thursday night racing at Cypress. Too soft snow, yet we still raced. I took the 1st place on snowboard, then got gready and switched to skis to try for double gold. Nasty wipe out at the bottom of the course, fractured hip... Season over...
    This was my first time down the mountain in tobogan, in 38 years of snowsports.
    I spent 26 hours in the ER of a nearby hospital, entertainig myself by counting injured skiers/riders (mostly riders actually) and listening to their stories.
    Sorry to hear that Boris!
    Do you mean socket around the femur?
    I hope you'll get better in time for skateboarding.
    Sunset over the Clyde Minaret '09

Heal up well evan. Maybe we can hook up @ hood after we heal up. We will be back.
    In Ruts We Trust

Is it just me having not paid that much attention in the past, or has this season been especially heavy on big injuries? I'm still sitting at home with a healing collarbone and cursing that I can't even get out on the bike because I can't afford to rush this and damage the bone any further. I feel for everyone that is in a similar situation and it looks like a number of you had it worse than I did. I wanted them to plate mine, but when I went for a second opinion the doctor said it wasn't in the parameters that they would operate on. He said they would do surgery if it was 20mm short or shifted and when I saw him it was 18mm. I almost punched him when he said " If you would have come and seen me first I probably would have plated it then, but not now." Great. So here I sit, bored with Netflix, (it has way fewer good movies up her in the land of Igloos and back bacon) bored with PS3 and frustrated that, while mostly mobile, I still have 4-6 weeks before I can get back to work.
    I wish good health to everyone who is mending and good luck to everyone still riding, lets all have an eventless summer and hit it hard next season.

Quote Originally Posted by bigdyno View Post
    Is it just me having not paid that much attention in the past, or has this season been especially heavy on big injuries?
    I feel that way too although it could just be one of those things like when you buy a new car and you all of a sudden see it everywhere on the road where as before you did not. I just had my second and final surgery on Tuesday so ever day is better then the last for me. A cadaver bone, two screws and stabilization of the fracture should make way for a great 2012-13 winter, a winter I am already looking forward to.... First healing and tons of PT. good luck with the collarbone and I hope you find comfort in the fact you aren't the only one down and out on the AIL...
    Evan
    Spokane

Cool @Evan,NICE will be waiting...

With at least four or five formerly injured,it will be like an INWES support group of alpine injured riders,hehe.I rode yesterday with Max,who had her own serious injury awhile back,and is riding better than ever.

Is it just me having not paid that much attention in the past, or has this season been especially heavy on big injuries?
    Hard to say for sure, in past seasons reports were probably less likely to be posted. One of the ideas behind the "AIL" thread was to make sure we were aware of our fallen alpine friends. I know from being injured myself that our community is particularly giving and kind. Well wishes to those who were hurt this past season and speedy recover. Bryan

Pusbag update : just got out of dr and can now start bearing a little weight on leg. Knee is stiff hopefully it will heal to. Going to go sledneckin ASAP. See you in the mtns
    In Ruts We Trust

BlueB up!

First checkup and xrays with orthopedic surgeon, yesterday - things are going well! Nothing mouved and healing well, no op required. I can walk without crutches already, but limping a lot. Shouldn't do anything excessive until next xrays in 4 weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueB View Post
    First checkup and xrays with orthopedic surgeon, yesterday - things are going well! Nothing mouved and healing well, no op required. I can walk without crutches already, but limping a lot. Shouldn't do anything excessive until next xrays in 4 weeks.
    In three weeks?? Damn. In my legs case it was 6 weeks before they decided to do a second surgery to remove the pins at one end of the nail because little healing (calcification) had occurred. It was nearly nine weeks before I could apply pressure. How old are you?? Damn. Good for you.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information