Page 7 of 34 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Alpine Snowboard Plate Systems

Cool plate WENNE !

Have you ridden it yet?? Welcome to the fastest growing thread on bomber your post is important to home tinkerers around the world.I see you aren't willing to share details can you tell us the weight of the hardware and plate??? Welcome to PLATE WORLD!

the plate tested already several times. it goes perfeckt. deteils are secret. the plate was developed of me. I am learned forge . greeting
    Last edited by wenne; April 8th, 2010 at 11:16 AM.

still another picture. greeting
    Attached Images Attached Images  

and still another picture

Apex Flex Plate Wing 2011

@wenne - plate looks nice, but a little more details would be interesting . Could you at least post the weight of your construction, as lowrider already asked you to?

Apex Flex Plate Wing - the new version is fixed in the middle and the rest floats ... I have only spent one day on it, but the board/plate combination really rocked!!!
    "Snoboardin´ will get you through times of no money better than money will get you through times of no snoboardin´" - Crazy Banana ad

Could something like a double burton channel system be used to offer the advantages of a plate, but without the bulk. Two channels (one each side of the board) with the bindings floating along the channels, having a strap connecting them, that can be anchored at any point in the channels. Some what like a rail ski binding, but with the rails built into the board (and being designed into the flex patern). The bindings would not be so isolated from the deck, but would move as the board is flexed.

The "bulk" as you call it has some major advantages (better leverage, more space against bootout, separating the rider from "board movements", dampening, etc.). So I don´t think that bindings gliding directly on the board would be a solution.
    "Snoboardin´ will get you through times of no money better than money will get you through times of no snoboardin´" - Crazy Banana ad

Quote Originally Posted by BobD View Post
    Could something like a double burton channel system be used to offer the advantages of a plate, but without the bulk. Two channels (one each side of the board) with the bindings floating along the channels, having a strap connecting them, that can be anchored at any point in the channels. Some what like a rail ski binding, but with the rails built into the board (and being designed into the flex patern). The bindings would not be so isolated from the deck, but would move as the board is flexed.
    Like a REV snowboard with the front mounts left loose. Bridged with a plate.

There are clearly two entirely different approaches being taken here, I think it's important to distinguish between the two. These two plate concepts are very different, though they both are obviously beneficial for use in uneven snow.

1. Spread out the point loading of the bindings by using some stiffer material between the bindings and the board. When the board bends, the plate must also bend. Also allow one point along the length to be fixed to the board and the rest to slide fore-aft as the board bends. Example: Vist

2. Suspend the bindings/plate above the board on two pivot points so that the plate does not necessarily bend when the board does. All seen so far have point loads on the board where they attach the pivot points. One of the pivot points is fixed, one must have some allowance to slide fore-aft or the board wouldn't bend. Example: Apex Composites in Canada.

The purpose of Type 1 seems to be to allow the board to bend smoothly without kinks near the feet, forcing the feet/lower legs of the rider to follow the bend of the board. The purpose of Type 2 seems to be to allow the board to bend without tilting the feet/lower legs of the rider, apparently not being concerned with the point loading on the board and the possible 'kink' in it's curvature.

It gets even more confusing that Apex Composites' plate is type 2 while Apex Austria's plate appears to be type 1.

corey_dyck, interesting point, but I don´t think that the second approach is not concerned about the point load ... JJ explained in his video the smooth uninterrupted flex of his board under the Apex Comp plate ...

Hi Wenne
    Great job.
    Is the plate all made of carbon or it's a multilayer deck?
    How much is it thick?
    It seems that it has a pivot in the back and a runner in the front, am I correct?
    Something as this?
    http://www.linearmotion.skf.com/cate...&cou=4&cat=120
    Thanks
    J
    http://www.carvers.it/

You take the red pill - you stay in Wonderland and I show you how deep the rabbit-hole goes.

Forward plate extensions

Quote Originally Posted by corey_dyck View Post
    There are clearly two entirely different approaches being taken here, I think it's important to distinguish between the two......
    Within Type 2 there are two further different approaches.
    A: The rigid B Karl plate with no front extension, the rider of which has just won two World Cup crystal globes.
    B: Flex with front extension - e.g. the Apex Composites plate.

Reading Jack Michaud's review of the NSR boards he seems to suggest that the latest Kessler & Coiler metal boards are pretty soft in the nose. Is a front extension of the plate useful to moderate this flexibility once the turn is initiated?
    Conversely, B Karl is riding the SG board and doesn't seem to need the front extension to win/place more consistently than any other racer.

Is anyone able to make an informed comparison of the front end softness/stiffness of the SG in relation to Kessler/Coiler?

SunSurfer
    Alan McKenzie (a.k.a. SunSurfer)

One note that construction of Karl's plate does not support so well adjustable nose dampening as ApexCompsite type plate.

and still another picture
    carbon-bozzplate ( made of Werner Bozzini )

Wenne Weight please!

If you want to see this thread count increase you are going to have to give us the weight of you plate and hardware, lbs. or kilos ok!

This thread count will continue anyway

But certainly i also like to see weight figures, specially cause in pictures that plate looks very thick so i assume that it is either with wood core or with foam core
    And not least cause that construction really looks really professional made one

Setup looks vey high, but i believe we will have very interesting winter ahead, so i can not wait for next winter

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by lowrider View Post
    If you want to see this thread count increase you are going to have to give us the weight of you plate and hardware, lbs. or kilos ok!
    binding: 1,7 kg
    plate carbon and hardware: ca. 3 kg
    board:3 kg

"Don´t eat yellow snow"

Thanks for weight info

Is your plate solid carbon or carbon wood laminate? stiff or flexable? The hardware i made is 22mm high with the plate another 15mm on top of that.Tough to reduce height without integrating plate and hardware. Not sure if general public would be willing to pay the premium necessary to produce a more compact version. Have you found that riding with a plate on your board it acts like a board with a smaller side cut radius?

Quote Originally Posted by lowrider View Post
    Is your plate solid carbon or carbon wood laminate? stiff or flexable? The hardware i made is 22mm high with the plate another 15mm on top of that.Tough to reduce height without integrating plate and hardware. Not sure if general public would be willing to pay the premium necessary to produce a more compact version. Have you found that riding with a plate on your board it acts like a board with a smaller side cut radius?

solid carbon,a little flexable,25mm high with the plate,

"Don´t eat yellow snow"

Any plans to produce for public ?

Are you planning on production for public if so what would you charge ? Is wardware plate specific or adaptable to other plates?

Any one ready to ride a plate

Is anyone ready to commit to trying a plate if you had the opportunity? Is anyone going to buy one when available ? Does anyone have enough snow left to try one before this season ends ?

So roby69's plate looks like it would mount on the standard insets ?

BTW looks the business for sure

Standard inserts ?

My guess would be yes since the binding inserts are directly in line with mounting hardware but it's hard to tell with all the snow on the board!

Thickness

Hi Roby
    Looking at the photoes it seems to be more thick than 2,5cm.
    Am I wrong?
    http://www.carvers.it/

You take the red pill - you stay in Wonderland and I show you how deep the rabbit-hole goes.

Quote Originally Posted by jacopodotti View Post
    Hi Roby
    Looking at the photoes it seems to be more thick than 2,5cm.
    Am I wrong?
    exactly 23 mm

"Don´t eat yellow snow"

[quote=BobD;303940]So roby69's plate looks like it would mount on the standard insets ?

hardware yes,plate with bindig is flexable
    Last edited by roby69; April 14th, 2010 at 08:54 AM.

"Don´t eat yellow snow"

There better be some standardization..

I don't see a multitude of plate systems unless some standardization starts taking place... I can't buy a board then have to have there own special plate everytime... I Im not going to drill holes in a $1000 dollar plus board.. ain't gonna do it..

I hope something simple can be derived from all this that uses the standard 4 hole six pack or 8 pack...

RSS
    They say that the best weapon is the one you never have to fire. I respectfully disagree. I prefer the weapon you only have to fire once. That's how Dad did it, that's how America does it, and it's worked out pretty well so far.

[quote=roby69;303972]
    Quote Originally Posted by BobD View Post
    So roby69's plate looks like it would mount on the standard insets ?

hardware yes,plate with bindig is flexable
    Quote Originally Posted by Shred Gruumer View Post
    I don't see a multitude of plate systems unless some standardization starts taking place... I can't buy a board then have to have there own special plate everytime... I Im not going to drill holes in a $1000 dollar plus board.. ain't gonna do it..

I hope something simple can be derived from all this that uses the standard 4 hole six pack or 8 pack...

RSS

"Don´t eat yellow snow"

Quote Originally Posted by Shred Gruumer View Post

RSS
    IDK, I don't see 4x4 being ideal for this sort of thing. seems like the apex cananda people did not either and went with the hangl insert pattern.

Thread Information