Thread: steamboat vs. beaver creek vs. vail?? - info please

steamboat vs. beaver creek vs. vail?? - info please

all,

i think i'm going in a big group trip this year - we have to decide b/w these resorts. i haven't looked into these yet....

can you guys please give me the scoop on these resorts?

best riding? best conditions? least crowded? best terrain? best village? most expensive? etc.

thx,

best riding? best conditions? least crowded? best terrain? best village? most expensive? etc.
    Beaver Creek for all of the above. Steamboat gets better powder generally, but the Beav has great terrain. Back bowls of Vail aren't bad either....
    Life is riding; everything else is waiting.

They are all crazy expensive but Beaver Creek is the star amonst these three. Best groom, diverse and large acerage, best grooming (quality and largest daily average acerage) and probably the friendliest staff ever. The Beav used to be empty by has gained much popularity in the last few seasons but is always less crowded than Vail. The Beav provides a second to none large resort experience, right down to the complimentary chocolate chip cookies at the end of the day.

I'm definitaly intrested in this thread also.

We booked a condo in Dillon from feb 27 to 6th. 2 years ago I visited Thor and it was a great trip. 6 days of riding (winter park and Abasin with a late sunday afternoon at Keystone that was totally trashed) I think I meet you snowman at Abasin one morning. Meet a lot of people it was an amazing trip. The year before that I stayed at JoelP in Glenwood.. and went to Aspen / buttermilk and Highland.

This year I have 2 of my buddies that wanted to try Colorado so we foudn this place in Dillon. We don't have a plan yet, just want to try different places that I haven't gone yet. Beaver creek and Vail is on our goto list.

The only sure thing is the sunday we will drive to Aspen to ride there. Should be less crowded than any other places.
    Ernie

There is free coco/cookie time at Beaver Creek.
    The way I see it is coming down to (BC+ Vail) VS Steamboat.
    BC and Vail are close enough that you can hit both Resort in a day if you want to.

Crowd:
    Vail can get crowd in the front face; but once you are in the back bowl you should be ok. Never really notice a crowd @ Steam Boat or Beaver Creek.

Cost wise:
    I think Beaver Creek actully came out to be the cheapest for me. Which is suprising since it's catering toward the high end crowd. Sure you could drop tons of money @ BC if you choose to do so. Cost really comes down to what you spenting your money on. Raman noodle vs 5 star eatery...

I don't think you can go wrong with any of the choices. My vote is BC+Vail.

HTH
    --
    David

Never been to Steamboat but I liked Beaver Creek a lot more than Vail. My favorite thing is you take 2 lifts and do a complete top to bottom run. Lots of fun ways to get down the mountain too.

I've read that parking at Vail was next to impossible..is it the same with BC ?
    Ernie

We parked on the road at Vail and had to walk through the "village" to the mountain with our gear. It wasn't that bad, but was a bit of a culture shock for an east coast rider. No base lodge to speak of either, but a massive restaurant on top of the mountain. What?--you don't stick your boot bag under a communal table and come pick it up at the end of the day?!

Anyway, the one piece of advice that I feel comfortable giving is to take your time to learn whichever mountain you go to. We tried to hit too many mountains on a single trip--and it took almost a full day at any resort to learn where the good runs were. (Having a local guide would have sped up the process, no doubt.) As for Vail, the cat tracks killed me. The bowls were all chopped up with heavy snow when we were there--except for China Bowl. My best run was my last one down the groomers on the front face--but it was my last of the day--and we weren't coming back In retrospect, I would have chosen quality over quantity and stuck to one resort over multiple days.
    "''planter ben red' can be put very simply into ''the board stopped freakin fast kinda on its own''--Bomber-member Pat

Parking

Depend on where do you stay. All three resort/surrond towns are service by the free shuttle bus. The paid bus goes between Vail <--> Creek.
    Leave the car in the hotel/condo and take the bus is what I would do.

Beaver Creek suppose to have the steepest World Cup run in the US?
    I heard that from the mountain guide.

All 3 resort of free mountain tour. I would take adventages of it. They might only take you on blue/ single black run however they do show you how to get around the mountains. It's usualy depend on the ability of the group. My tour guide tooks us through the glades!!! My guess is they try to lose the only boarder in the group

thx

good responses ...keep them coming.

"As for Vail, the cat tracks killed me."

this is good info...apparently at least 1/2 my group is skiiers....wasting precious energy skating, especially when i'm with skiiers, is obviously not what i want. how many cat tracks are there? are they that long?

Snowboarding Vail or Steamboat with skiers...

is what I'll be doing in HELL.That and teaching never-evers on powder days...

Beaver Creek on the otherhand,is much more user friendly for mixed groups in my opinion.I like Vail for carving but not for mixed groups.

Thread Information