Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 91 to 120 of 131

Thread: BENT or BROKEN

  1. #91
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Nova Scotia
    Posts
    102

    Ugh....

    I used to ride Sims plates on my old Damian Dagger @ Big White. Seemed like every time I'd launch with it,I'd land and carve the next two turns one-footed.+1 for Step-ins!!!Never have I had one open up,and I air all my boards when possible.Nothing better than grabbing a slow Method-air on a 180+ alpine board in the park.
    "The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit....:p"

  2. #92
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Mammoth Lakes, CA
    Posts
    2,603
    Quote Originally Posted by Puddy Tat View Post
    One... no make that two more reasons why I ride step-ins.
    I take that back, I know why, the bail blocks move when I case landings.. I have since gotten a big ass handle on my hex wrench, but haven't cased any booters since getting the extra leverage. Stepins wouldn't really fix that problem for me.

  3. #93
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Edmonton, Alberta
    Posts
    985
    Quote Originally Posted by KingCrimson View Post
    I take that back, I know why, the bail blocks move when I case landings.. I have since gotten a big ass handle on my hex wrench, but haven't cased any booters since getting the extra leverage. Stepins wouldn't really fix that problem for me.
    At least in the case of intec/fintec actually they would. If you visually ensure the pins are engaged, the binding is basically fail-safe. The only way out is to pull the cable, or physically depress the pins. That is to say short of your toe or heel block moving the centimetre to allow the toe bail to clear the toe ledge of your boot, your toe can't come out of the binding. And even in the unlikely event of that failure your heel is still held captive by the pins.

    In the case of Fintecs specifically the shell of the heel, or the steel heel receiver would have to physically break to allow the pins to break free, or you'd have to rip all four screws of the heel retaining screws out of the t-nuts in your boot. If any of these occurred I think the violence of the wipe out would ensure that you had other more serious injuries to worry about.

    In fact the fintec/intec heel mechanism is fail safe in that the pins in the heel are spring-loaded such that additional pressure has to be put on them to make them retract. Therefore a failure of the internal heel mechanism leaves you locked into the binding, requiring the use of ski poles to depress the pins and get out (happened to me once). I suspect an internal spring could break and this could cause a release, but I have yet to hear of this failure mode occuring. Anyways the springs aren't cycled excessively so metal fatigue isn't likely to occur on this sub-component.

    I bolded if above because it is quite possible with TD3s and Fintecs (or other step-ins) to have snow build up under the heel of your boot, or on the toe block of the binding, which prevents the pins from fully engaging, this can result in "premature ejectulation" as you load the binding up in a turn. As this has happened to me twice now I visually make sure the pins are engaged every time I step-in. I really wish Fin would anodize the Fintec heel pins in red or some other colour so they easily stood out from the heel receiver once engaged.

    Since I've started visually checking the pins after stepping in I have yet to have a binding release.

    Cheers,

    Dave
    Last edited by Puddy Tat; January 24th, 2012 at 08:54 AM.
    "At one point I was seeing my bootfitter so much my wife was begining to think I was having an affair with him."

  4. #94
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Mammoth Lakes, CA
    Posts
    2,603
    Point taken.

    Well, to preserve the future of the sport (me) I guess you should pass on those Fintecs and stepin receivers.. It would be a shame for me to destroy my knee at 18..

  5. #95
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Edmonton, Alberta
    Posts
    985
    Quote Originally Posted by KingCrimson View Post
    Point taken.

    Well, to preserve the future of the sport (me) I guess you should pass on those Fintecs and stepin receivers.. It would be a shame for me to destroy my knee at 18..
    Hey if Fin ever gets the SI Sidewinders out you can have first dibs on a pair of TD3 SI cheap.

    This is getting way OT but speaking of the Sidewinders, I wonder if the fact that the toe and heel blocks roll laterally with the boot actually might help prevent the type of releases you guys are mentioning. Because of this lateral roll the toe ledge of your boot would put even pressure across the toe lever as the boot canted over. This action actually might help prevent releases.

    Considering a standard binding, with 5mm or 6mm bails as the boot cants/twists in the binding, you load one corner of the toe lever perhaps making a release more likely?

    Would be interesting to see somebody more mechanically inclined than me chime in on this.
    "At one point I was seeing my bootfitter so much my wife was begining to think I was having an affair with him."

  6. #96
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Bear Valley, CA
    Posts
    40
    Only happened once, and it was a silly big air where I overshot the tranny. I just can't ride up off of the deck from all my years of surfing, it just feels too weird, so I'll stick to the ground and my race plates. Unless there is a low profile step in I'm unaware of?

  7. #97
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Mammoth Lakes, CA
    Posts
    2,603
    If i was breaking bails I would assume the sw would help.. chucklebeast, f2 intecs are plenty low

  8. #98
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Bear Valley, CA
    Posts
    40
    Sweet thanks, I will check them out. I do like a flexible binding between a stiff board and boot, but that inherently brings risk of breakage, with my carbon-fiber ones as back ups and more of a show piece as I know they are bound to explode one cold day. Thanks for the tip. Aluminum flexs, right?

  9. #99
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Pacific Northwest/ Portland Metro Area
    Posts
    7,108

    Did you break it??

    Somebody break something please. Just not YOU!!

    Photos of bent or broken stuff??
    Last edited by www.oldsnowboards.com; January 24th, 2012 at 11:26 AM.
    Personal Messaging is NOT working. Please post your email to make contact.
    SEARCHING TIP: go to GOOGLE and add this to the end of your search terms- site:bomberonline.com

  10. #100
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Pacific Northwest/ Portland Metro Area
    Posts
    7,108
    Quote Originally Posted by Titan View Post
    I used to ride Sims plates on my old Damian Dagger @ Big White. Seemed like every time I'd launch with it,I'd land and carve the next two turns one-footed.+1 for Step-ins!!!Never have I had one open up,and I air all my boards when possible.Nothing better than grabbing a slow Method-air on a 180+ alpine board in the park.
    That is a cool big board!! With those monster plastic Sims plates? Cool. Photos? Did you end up breaking it?
    Personal Messaging is NOT working. Please post your email to make contact.
    SEARCHING TIP: go to GOOGLE and add this to the end of your search terms- site:bomberonline.com

  11. #101
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Bear Valley, CA
    Posts
    40
    I dunno...I know I'm tripping, but they look thick to me. Not as far as bindings go, they look sleek, they do. But after 12 years of only riding plates I am scared to throw down $ on something I can't try. I have a bro with F2s and I will have to see if he will let me slice a few off on his board.

    It's just from when I was a kid, I would take brand new surfboards and literally dent the hell out out the decks where my feet would go, so as to lower my center of gravity and be down in the ditch on my ride. Tough habits to break, especially when I can't afford to brake myself...

  12. #102
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Pacific Northwest/ Portland Metro Area
    Posts
    7,108
    Looks like I have managed to break or remove one of the pins from my Fintec heel?? THE GUIDE PIN, NOT one of the main pins. I have not heard of that to date. Need to email my dear friends at Bomber Industries.
    Personal Messaging is NOT working. Please post your email to make contact.
    SEARCHING TIP: go to GOOGLE and add this to the end of your search terms- site:bomberonline.com

  13. #103
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Poland
    Posts
    110
    Probably one of the last Volant Excel 173 GS .
    Great pity...
    Name:  DSC_0125.jpg
Views: 627
Size:  21.2 KBName:  DSC_0127.jpg
Views: 614
Size:  29.9 KBName:  DSC_0122.jpg
Views: 619
Size:  33.6 KB

  14. #104
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Pacific Northwest/ Portland Metro Area
    Posts
    7,108
    "Good Boy". Hold down the tail flap while I get this photo for ebay. Stay, ok, now smile really big. PERFECT!!Name:  C_0122.jpg
Views: 606
Size:  44.8 KB
    Personal Messaging is NOT working. Please post your email to make contact.
    SEARCHING TIP: go to GOOGLE and add this to the end of your search terms- site:bomberonline.com

  15. #105
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Bend, Oregon
    Posts
    531
    Pulled this trick off a couple weeks ago (thankfully without injury).

    Name:  IMAG1070.jpg
Views: 578
Size:  34.3 KB
    Last edited by heroshmero; April 16th, 2012 at 01:51 PM.

  16. #106
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Bend, Oregon
    Posts
    531
    Weird, image was there when I posted it.

    Fixed it.

  17. #107
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    1,443
    Quote Originally Posted by heroshmero View Post
    Weird, image was there when I posted it.

    Fixed it.
    ohh man was that one of the test doneks with da funky base?

  18. #108
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Pacific Northwest/ Portland Metro Area
    Posts
    7,108
    yep, that is pretty "BROKEN". You can save the stomp pad!!


    Might be able to make a plate out of it? Looks like it is pretty close to the inserts.
    Personal Messaging is NOT working. Please post your email to make contact.
    SEARCHING TIP: go to GOOGLE and add this to the end of your search terms- site:bomberonline.com

  19. #109
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Bend, Oregon
    Posts
    531
    Quote Originally Posted by kieran View Post
    ohh man was that one of the test doneks with da funky base?
    It was. It rode great until I stuffed the nose in some soft snow a couple times in a row.

  20. #110
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Bend, Oregon
    Posts
    531
    Quote Originally Posted by www.oldsnowboards.com View Post
    yep, that is pretty "BROKEN". You can save the stomp pad!!

    Might be able to make a plate out of it? Looks like it is pretty close to the inserts.
    I did save the stomp pad! Put it on one of my wife's boards that needed it.

    If anybody wants it for a plate project let me know. I would guess that it's workable.

  21. #111
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Pacific Northwest/ Portland Metro Area
    Posts
    7,108
    Quote Originally Posted by heroshmero View Post
    I did save the stomp pad! Put it on one of my wife's boards that needed it.

    If anybody wants it for a plate project let me know. I would guess that it's workable.
    I would. I know I am not going to make it down to Bend again this year. Perhaps you are coming up to Portland??

    Thanks, Bryan
    Personal Messaging is NOT working. Please post your email to make contact.
    SEARCHING TIP: go to GOOGLE and add this to the end of your search terms- site:bomberonline.com

  22. #112
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Bend, Oregon
    Posts
    531
    Quote Originally Posted by www.oldsnowboards.com View Post
    I would. I know I am not going to make it down to Bend again this year. Perhaps you are coming up to Portland??

    Thanks, Bryan
    I'm sure I will at some point. Not right away, though.

    You still interested in this Burton M6 for $50?
    http://www.bomberonline.com/VBulleti...-M6-Asym-Goofy

    I could hold on to both for you.

  23. #113
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    1,443
    Quote Originally Posted by heroshmero View Post
    It was. It rode great until I stuffed the nose in some soft snow a couple times in a row.
    gutted, I knew there was another out there but not who had it.

  24. #114
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Poland
    Posts
    110
    No, no it's not a smile for photo.
    It's the joy of a new gift-board just is for her!
    Joke, Volant will take place in the gallery of fame!


    Quote Originally Posted by www.oldsnowboards.com View Post
    "Good Boy". Hold down the tail flap while I get this photo for ebay. Stay, ok, now smile really big. PERFECT!
    Name:  C_0122.jpg
Views: 606
Size:  44.8 KB

  25. #115
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Wroclaw, Poland
    Posts
    353
    Quote Originally Posted by Tatoos View Post
    Probably one of the last Volant Excel 173 GS .
    Great pity...
    Name:  DSC_0125.jpg
Views: 627
Size:  21.2 KB
    Nooooooooooo

    You didnt tell me the damage was that bad

    Tomek is right, that there was probably the last Volant 173s in existence

  26. #116
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Pacific Northwest/ Portland Metro Area
    Posts
    7,108
    Quote Originally Posted by benttech View Post
    Tomek is right, that there was probably the last Volant 173s in existence
    No, I am certain there are other BOL members that own a Volant 173, Maybe the last one in Poland??

    As a collector, I am often blown away with what is "Out there". Brand new boards from 1979? Yes.
    Somewhere there is a stack of these waiting to be "Found".
    Personal Messaging is NOT working. Please post your email to make contact.
    SEARCHING TIP: go to GOOGLE and add this to the end of your search terms- site:bomberonline.com

  27. #117
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    MN
    Posts
    1,608
    Quote Originally Posted by www.oldsnowboards.com View Post

    As a collector, I am often blown away with what is "Out there". Brand new boards from 1979? Yes.
    Somewhere there is a stack of these waiting to be "Found".

    Reminds of this recent story http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...ned-to-UK.html. I'm eagerly awaiting the discovery of the missing Spitfires in Burma. Can you imagine being able to fly a brand new original Spitfire?

  28. #118
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Pacific Northwest/ Portland Metro Area
    Posts
    7,108
    Quote Originally Posted by BobD View Post
    Reminds of this recent story http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...ned-to-UK.html. I'm eagerly awaiting the discovery of the missing Spitfires in Burma. Can you imagine being able to fly a brand new original Spitfire?

    Bob, I had heard about this on the news. Great story. Hope they are successful in digging them up safely. Occasionally I watch the Mecum auctions. Once in a while they will have a brand new car that is 20 years old. I used to be involved with a Model A club here is town. A judge once told me that if you found a brand new perfect condition 30 Ford Coupe and entered it in a contest , it would not win. The cars we "restore" to be blue ribbon cars are far too perfect.

  29. #119
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Durham
    Posts
    772
    Well not a board, but definitely bent. It bent outwards, disengaging my fintec heel. I managed to kick it back into place using the heel of the boot, so I could get engage the heel and get down the mountain.

    Name:  20120325_215548.jpg
Views: 462
Size:  23.8 KB

    Guess I'll be packing a spare receiver from now on.

  30. #120
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Pacific Northwest/ Portland Metro Area
    Posts
    7,108
    Quote Originally Posted by scrutton View Post
    Well not a board, but definitely bent. It bent outwards, disengaging my fintec heel. I managed to kick it back into place using the heel of the boot, so I could get engage the heel and get down the mountain.

    Name:  20120325_215548.jpg
Views: 462
Size:  23.8 KB

    Guess I'll be packing a spare receiver from now on.
    Paul. Did you contact the manufacturer? Curious what came of this? Still plan to use them?

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •