Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: BENT or BROKEN

Doooooood! How did you manage that? 2nd Viri to break in the last week in Colorado.

Quote Originally Posted by Mellow Yellow View Post
    There was a shot of this in action I thought... but I can't find it...

Way to go Geoff

I was just wondering if this picture was taken at the bottom of the super quad at sugar loaf?
    Go Fast And Haul Ass!!!

Quote Originally Posted by !MaineCarver! View Post
    I was just wondering if this picture was taken at the bottom of the super quad at sugar loaf?
    Thas is def the superquad. Was just there 3 weeks ago.
    Bob
    <><

Quote Originally Posted by Cousin of Beagle View Post
    Too many flat landings.
    1st pic taken 2001.
    2nd pic taken 2006.
    I didn't brake too many boards, mostly bindings. But you guys with broken windsurf/surf boards, made me tally-up the racing dinghy stuff that I've broken. I'm bad...

Sank boat (not recovered) x 1
    Mast x 3
    Fwd deck x 2
    Mast step x 2
    Tiller x 2
    Tiller extension x 3-5
    Sail, major ripp (repairable) x 2
    Punctured boats (compettitors') x 2
    Misc. smaller damage x countless

No pics to share, though...
    INSTRUCTION | CASI L2 - hard boots all the way! | Vancouver Carvers' Diaries 2013/14 | Items for sale

What did you sink?

I don't have any cool boat stories, the most dramatic was in a Catalina 22 race. One guy forgot about the right of way (or maybe honestly didn't see me, the boat had way too much activity for the ~10 knot winds!) and tangled his pulput in mine. That was weird!

A Finn... 1992 (or was it 1993?) South African National Championships, Saldanha Bay. 50+ knots storm hit us mid-race. About 80% of all fleets capsized (Optimists, Lasers, Finns, Mirrors, Fireballs, FDs, you name it, at least 200 boats...).
    I didn't run for the shore, finished the upwind leg, then sailed the downwind leg until I could hold-on in the survival mode, sitting all the way at the transom. Then hit a wave at an awkward angle, burried the nose and pitch-polled. The impact must have separated the forward deck from the hull, as I couldn't straighten the boat (Finn has a point of no return once the water is in the bow). All I could do is sit on the turtle boat and watch it sink slowly. Finally, it turned the bow right down, Titanic style, but still stayed afloat with a foot of the transom above. I sat on that waiting for my turn to be rescued. The rubber dinghy finally came and they shouted "Jump in!". I asked "What about my boat?". Reply was "Are you staying with your boat, or coming with us?". Guess what I choose... I was the last skipper rescued, my familly already had written me off...
    Final aftermath was no loss of life, plenty of cuts, bruises and hypothermia, 20-30 boats washed ashore, many totalled and one lost (mine).
    INSTRUCTION | CASI L2 - hard boots all the way! | Vancouver Carvers' Diaries 2013/14 | Items for sale

Quote Originally Posted by BlueB View Post
    Punctured boats (compettitors') x 2
    above or below the waterline? Sounds like you are not to be messed with during a race!
    just getting from A to B

One wasn't during the race, but rather duing the season end "go crazy" closing ceremony. The dammage was right at the sheer and not too big.
    The other one was during the race and quite big, yet above the water line.
    This leaves me with one serious collision in well over 1000 (one thousand, estimated on conservative side) races sailed... However, I am pretty "wild" when I race.

This leaves me with one serious collision in well over 1000 (one thousand, estimated on conservative side) races sailed... However, I am pretty "wild" when I race.
    You do not want sail too close to someone who survive 6 months grueling trip from Johannesburg - Vancouver and rolls (twice?) at nite...

Cheers
    RT

This is SO CRAZY!

broke my wcrm a couple weeks ago. crappily enough, it wasn't the result of a crash or stuffed nose - it just failed in a regular turn. i'm assuming there was previous accumulated fatigue of some sort, but i'm at a loss as to how / why / when, as it was a low mileage deck, w/ no 'traumatic' incidents. unfortunately out of warranty, though prior did offer a crash replacement discount on a new deck.

still, i'm a bit put off. i've never broken a board in my two decades snowboarding, and my previous long term glass boards have seen much greater abuse, with no issues. are modern metal boards just that much more fragile? i assumed the teething issues of a couple years ago were over. back on my vintage option, alas. i did love the prior...

Unhappy already?

that WAS a spanking new base, what a bummer friend, as I recall those priors are big $$$ and take a while to get a hold of? I wonder if the greater torsional forces(wider board twists more than narrower of equal flex?) that are "absorbed" by the dampening systems and thus creating a crumple zone, like in modern autos? Hopefully if that is the case it wasn't intentionally created like those in my Jeep, cause that would be just mean!

Do you ride with a 0* front cant? It looks almost that the front of the plate point loaded the board!?

If that's of any comfort to you, I broke my Kessler 185, today... Looks almost the same as yours, just less bend to it. Pics later.

Auch, sorry about the board bud. Hope u r ok. Were u at Cypress when it happend?
    I play same board last week and today on crappy snow, so far so good under my 205lbs w/o gears (cross fingers). This WCRM 177 and the wide 173 is my fav decks, I always start with 177 and when turn to slush/chop I switch to 173 wide.

RT
    Attached Images Attached Images  

snap fever?

dang, I have been dropping my knees deep toward the deck loving the rebounds and now I just cant afford to buy another one..stop scaring me, LOL! Cause that is allot of board bucks down the snow-hole...sorry to share your pain.

Do you ride with a 0* front cant? It looks almost that the front of the plate point loaded the board!?

If that's of any comfort to you, I broke my Kessler 185, today... Looks almost the same as yours, just less bend to it. Pics later.
    3* rise on the front.

re: the kessler - ouch! that's some pricey wall art. damn. curious if alpine boards could be built in a manner to reduce these types of failures (since this seems to be the common 'fuse') w/o negatively affecting flex characteristics too much. hmm...

Quote Originally Posted by CarvingScooby View Post
    Auch, sorry about the board bud. Hope u r ok. Were u at Cypress when it happend?
    I play same board last week and today on crappy snow, so far so good under my 205lbs w/o gears (cross fingers). This WCRM 177 and the wide 173 is my fav decks, I always start with 177 and when turn to slush/chop I switch to 173 wide.

RT
    yeah cypress. not a crazy crash at all; the nose just 'disappeared' during a standard frontside carve on groom & i went down. it was a wtf moment for sure.

you know, if/when i get a new one i was thinking about a 173w flc - a bit more versatile, small hill friendly ride, methinks. my old freecarve thing is 21cm wide, and it feels like the sweet spot for my purposes.

:-|

:^\

:^o P W N E D

:-|

We talk about this before...when we have a problem with damage...

but I think the problem is the solid, binding construct, or user error...because the boards do not seem suited to the focus of severe instantaneous flatspot caused by the rigid binding...

there is always the cry for manufacture defect...because the recommended stance and setback etc is always the cry...but few carbonfiber/titan construct were designed to accommodate these CNC bindings, some day manufacturers will caveat the warranty with this clause.

I think manufacturer designs his and her board for plastic bindung, not NASA grade metals or alloy...but I could ask a manufacturer if his construct will stand leverage created by bomber or catek or CNC heavyduty binding? Of course, I could always be wrong.

It seems to me that the company should not allow frivolity for claims...everyone must take responsibility for the choices they will make. It is a dangerous sport, yea? 110

I have to agree that the ultra rigid bindings nowadays are just a bit much and seem more like overkill than just a secure way to clamp your fleshy foot to a flexible board...jmho

Like those new carbonlooklike Priordecks. Pitty you broke yours. Also that Kessler from Buel, looks like those boards can't handle stiff bindings/plates. I am very interested how many stress there will be on boards with for instance the new Boiler Plate. I am gonna use these dampers this season for the first time. Funny that I see no broken Coilers.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by Hans View Post
    Like those new carbonlooklike Priordecks. Pitty you broke yours. Also that Kessler from Buel, looks like those boards can't handle stiff bindings/plates. I am very interested how many stress there will be on boards with for instance the new Boiler Plate. I am gonna use these dampers this season for the first time. Funny that I see no broken Coilers.

BlueB had the broken Kessler. That might have been what you meant to type.

From what people who have ridden plates say about them increasing pressure on the nose, I was waiting for that to happen. Especially with so many plates on boards not built for them.

Coiler's very rarely break. Interesting isn't it. Bruce seems to like durable boards.

Quote Originally Posted by Buell View Post
    BlueB had the broken Kessler. That might have been what you meant to type.
    That's what I meant, wrong typo indeed, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by 110/220V View Post
    We talk about this before...when we have a problem with damage...

but I think the problem is the solid, binding construct, or user error...because the boards do not seem suited to the focus of severe instantaneous flatspot caused by the rigid binding...

there is always the cry for manufacture defect...because the recommended stance and setback etc is always the cry...but few carbonfiber/titan construct were designed to accommodate these CNC bindings, some day manufacturers will caveat the warranty with this clause.

I think manufacturer designs his and her board for plastic bindung, not NASA grade metals or alloy...but I could ask a manufacturer if his construct will stand leverage created by bomber or catek or CNC heavyduty binding? Of course, I could always be wrong.

It seems to me that the company should not allow frivolity for claims...everyone must take responsibility for the choices they will make. It is a dangerous sport, yea? 110
    Given that Sigi rides on Sidewiders with a plate, I certainly hope his boards have been designed to handle aluminum bindings.

I wonder how that board snapped though, it doesn't look like it's point loading. I'm curious if it broke at the carbon reinforcement they pop in near the inserts.

On a positive note, the nylon topsheet held up very well.

Hans,
    Where did you get that damper? It looks like carbon fiber. Can I get my hands on a set of those?

Quote Originally Posted by Hans View Post

Quote Originally Posted by *Ace* View Post
    Less than a long sleeve tshirt! Sweet!! Might even fit in an international flat rate envelope?
    SEARCHING TIP: go to GOOGLE and add this to the end of your search terms- site:bomberonline.com

Thanks Ace! I'll see if I can translate through the site and order some. I have a new board coming with a real wood top sheet and was thinking these would be nice so my bindings don't leave marks. Bonus that they are functional as well.

Quote Originally Posted by www.oldsnowboards.com View Post
    Less than a long sleeve tshirt! Sweet!! Might even fit in an international flat rate envelope?
    39 EUR = $51 USD

You buy expensive shirts Bryan. I was thinking these were going to be closer to 20 bucks.

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Randy T. View Post
    Thanks Ace! I'll see if I can translate through the site and order some. I have a new board coming with a real wood top sheet and was thinking these would be nice so my bindings don't leave marks. Bonus that they are functional as well.
    Just hit the american flag button on the Virus site, everything will become your language.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information