Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oldest Hardbooter in America?

Oldest Hardbooter in America?

My dad -- he's 75 and raced at USASA Nationals this year!
    Attached Images Attached Images   

That's cool. In 30 years I'll be that old. I'll be psyched if I can still walk, let alone ride.

SEXagenarian unicyclist/hardbooter from Newington, CT
    He's got me beat by 12 1/2 years! I hope I'm still riding then.

That is SO COOL!!

"If you're not living on the edge you're taking up too much room!"

pat-moore.artistwebsites.com

Looks like he's having a blast too...truly enjoying life
    Congrats to your dad!
    If you love something, set it free.
    And if it doesn't return, hunt it down and kill it!

I have 21 years to go to meet that

Maybe then my kids will be wealthy and can afford to send old Dad on a world carving tour...Europe, Japan, Chile, etc. Am taking Bryan Sutherland and Big Mario with me. Carving in the daytime...seniors' strip clubs at night. Geritol shots for everyone! **shudder**
    Last edited by SnowSpeedster; March 27th, 2013 at 07:16 PM. Reason: Spotted a misspelling....damn OCD
    Remember,...everything smells the same to a midget in an elevator.

Quote Originally Posted by shintowin View Post
    My dad -- he's 75 and raced at USASA Nationals this year!
    Was your Dad at SES a couple years ago? I forgot his name but there was an alpine rider in his late 70s , early 80s maybe ??? AWESOME!!!
    SEARCHING TIP: go to GOOGLE and add this to the end of your search terms- site:bomberonline.com

Quote Originally Posted by SnowSpeedster View Post
    Maybe then my kids will be wealhty and can afford to send old Dad on a world carving tour...Europe, Japan, Chile, etc. Am taking Sutherland and Big Mario with me. Carving in the daytime...seniors' strip clubs at night. Geritol shots for everyone! **shudder**
    Packed and ready to go!!! Well not quite, need to get past the latest boo-boo. But then I will be
    SEARCHING TIP: go to GOOGLE and add this to the end of your search terms- site:bomberonline.com

I met a 65 years old rider the past winter and I was saying to myself : wow, I've got around 21 years of carving in front of me ... now I can have 31 years of carving in front of me.

Instead of doing like a lot of Quebec senior people who goes in Florida during winter for the warm temperature (and no snow). I'll be hitting mountains with smooth snow instead of the icy hardpack we have here. I would not fell on ice at 70.
    Stephane

The last sentence should be read : I would not like to fell on ice at 70.
    Stephane

At 50....

...I feel like a young pup compared to you 'masters'. Congrats to your Dad, Shintowin!!! This gives me hope that I can keep riding and carving for a few more years.

Mark
    Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest.
    Denis Diderot

Dude - that totally kicks ass! I hope to have many, many years of carving ahead of me.
    -queequeg

Congrats to your Pops! I just woke up, and as I was looking at this picture, I thought... OMG-- those two riders are going to collide, as I failed to realize it was two different pics! hahahah. that's the course setter in me!
    Ski Roundtop Race Club Snowboard Team
    facebook - SUNDAY SCHOOL SNOWBOARD RACING

USASA Age Group

I have contacted USASA to see if they are willing to consider adding a new age group for 70+ racers (at 75 my dad is racing against competitiors as young as 60) but they haven't answered any of my emails. Anyone have any good contact info for the folks at USASA other than the ineffectual email address? Do they go away for the summer?

Quote Originally Posted by Surf Quebec View Post
    The last sentence should be read : I would not like to fell on ice at 70.
    I would not like to fall on ice at 50!!

I hope I am still riding at 70!!

It is a real honor to ride (ski or snowboard) with guys in their 70s and 80s.

They give me hope, I look to them for wisdom and inspiration.

I have contacted USASA to see if they are willing to consider adding a new age group for 70+ racers (at 75 my dad is racing against competitiors as young as 60) but they haven't answered any of my emails. Anyone have any good contact info for the folks at USASA other than the ineffectual email address? Do they go away for the summer?
    I am your dad's series director (Massachusetts) and a member of the executive board. Your dad was the oldset competitor by a long shot, and one of 5 in the age group at nationals, and in all regions. there really is no need to add another age group. Sorry. We did make sure that he got special recognition...Guys like Dick are the soul of the sport!
    I challenge every BOL member to get out to at least one race this season...

Not sure about the logic...

...you (they - USASA) have several age categories (including a Methuselah class for women) that are recognized by the USASA that have are no competitors in them at all. It would also be nice to get a reply from USASA, even if they decide to reject my request.

where did you send your request? series director? board member? message board? riders rep? let me know and I will try to track it down. Also, when did you send it? we have had just one board meeting since nationals. With only one full time employee (and 2 part-timers), unfortunately not every every email gets immediate attention.
    I challenge every BOL member to get out to at least one race this season...

SEXagenarian unicyclist/hardbooter from Newington, CT

Age groups

It would be nice to add another age group. Although only 62 I've already reached the highest age group in USASA. Because of time constraints (I work seven days a week in the winter) and the fact that I'm also a ski racer, I don't have the opportunity to compete in both USASA and NASTAR. With the latter, I'll have age group breakdowns up into my nineties (when I hope to still be racing on the board and skis).

"If you're not living on the edge you're taking up too much room!"

pat-moore.artistwebsites.com

He's the head of a hardbooting family...

...with a rather outdated photo of the Cole Bros. Racing Team. Priors sure have come a long way (two Prior WCRs on the left, Nidecker GS and Burton Alp).
    Attached Images Attached Images  

very cool pic. I'm impressed. Wish everyone long years of carving and I'm looking forward to it.
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueB View Post
    "Honney, some people collect stickers, some collect cars, some collect... girlfriends."

Thumbs up Into Carving...

Quote Originally Posted by AMK View Post
    very cool pic. I'm impressed. Wish everyone long years of carving and I'm looking forward to it.
    Practising, practising and determination! -and meanwhile Don't forget to have FUN .

Cheers

[quote=CarvingScooby;275983]Practising, practising and determination!

my words

Don't forget to have FUN .

Never will !!!!!!!!!!!!!!With pain or not I'm going to.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueB View Post
    "Honney, some people collect stickers, some collect cars, some collect... girlfriends."

Carl Manus

He doesn't race, but Carl still gets after it. He does still hardboot but he has been teaching so much the last couple years that he is on softies a lot.

This is Carl from a couple years ago. I think he will be 79 this year.

http://www.sunvalleymag.com/Sun-Vall...004/BOOK-TALK/
    Quote Originally Posted by eajracing View Post
    ....just dont let it intimidate you..... long boards with big scr's smell fear and will hand you your ass if you let them.

And from the pic , I see that he is not even using step-in !
    Stephane

Quote Originally Posted by mykcuz View Post
    kinda sad that you corrected someone and posted this. not hating just funny. lets see how fall would fit in this sentence.
    hey cuz he corrected himself for clarification.

pretty sure english is not his native language and tenses and inflections aren't always easy.

I for one love to see our friends to the North posting up on here whether the English is 100% correct or not.

Surf Quebec - fell would be the past tense of the verb fall. I wish my french were better but it's been too long. Which ever way you want to say, you damn sure don't want to hit the hard snow at 70 yrs old.
    Quote Originally Posted by eajracing View Post
    ....just dont let it intimidate you..... long boards with big scr's smell fear and will hand you your ass if you let them.

Oldest hardbooter in the US still at it in 2012 at almost 78 years young!

Name:  dad_racing.jpg
Views: 855
Size:  38.7 KB

Oldest hardbooter in the US still at it in 2012 at almost 78 years young!

Name:  dad_racing.jpg
Views: 855
Size:  38.7 KB
    Looking good!! Amazing!!

That is so very cool! He probably turns a lot of heads when people actually realize he is almost 78 and still carving. Then factor in the fact that there aren't many snowboarders that age that still ride. Amazing!
    "Problems cannot be solved at the same level of awareness that created them" -Albert Einstein

Shin,

Glad to see your dad is still at it, not only carving but still racing! Tell him I said Hi.

His style is very similar to KarverKai at 70yrs younger in his "second run in hardboots" vid. Looks good on your dad.

Ink

BTW, you need to join the LCI some day at Loveland. Would love to ride with you again.
    LCI Freakcarve...
    Seriously having Fun!

Hopefully alpine board discipline will be alive 46 years later...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information