Thread: Home resort sizes?

Home resort sizes?

Thought of something that might give most of you guys some laughs. Who has the smallest home resort?

I'll start.

Mustavuori (blackmountain)

2 runs.
    lenght of the runs about 300 meters each.
    vertical difference about 70 meters.

and I'm dead serious here.
    Merry whatever! :D

Huh?

Whats a Meter?

How high is it in Cheese bricks,,?

You win!

A resort in Wisconson...

may win it. I've not been there, but it advertises less than 250 ft. vert. Almost get one good turn in!

It's shameful...I know....

Sugar Mountain, NC

Top Elevation: 5300 ft
    Bottom Elevation: 4100 ft
    Vertical Drop: 1200 ft
    Longest Run: 1.50 mi
    Skiable Area: 115 acres
    Snow Making: 115 acres
    Rippin' with rednecks down in Possum's Pouch.... SkiNC

Room!

Im there Mellow! get that spare room ready!

have you checked it out yet! Any word it was like the past season

like a 2"base with annual snowfall of 15" does the report go like this..

conditions today= Brick tommorow heavy snowfall up to 1" break out the powder skis! tommorrow the annual hillbilly ski festival run down from kentuky and West vagina.

ye haa!

I WIN!!!
    Mt.Brighton in Michigan, you might have recognized it from the fricken awesome movie Aspen Extreme, thats the mound they start on when the train goes by and whatnot. Total vertical = 150 feet, beat that. Oh and even though i don't mention that as my home mountain in my profile, it is, it's just embarassing...

Just wondering which hill has the most vertical in north america or which one has the longest run. I know that my home mountain Apex is 2000 feet even of vertical, but there are bigger ones, no?

Biggest

Well I typically ride at Mammoth Mountain in the California Eastern Sierras. 3500 acres, 3100 vertical feet, 385 average inches of snow (436" this year!!=) and 300 days of sunshine. California's highest ski elevation and longest season. I dont think its the largest in terms of acreage (Heavenly is larger in the US, and Whistler/Blackcomb has 7000+ in Canada), but its up there in vert.

I believe Whistler has a crazy 7.5 mile run. Im not sure how much of that is flats or whatnot though.

its 8.5, and about 90% of it seems flat, the rest is about 4 foot wide narrow shoots that drop off into trees on both sides if i remember right. takes you right onto town so you gotta hop on a bus to get back

Home resort or nearest "resort"?
    Place I love to ride : Gunstock NH 1400ish vertical something like 600 acres? 46 trails
    Closest place: McIntyre Ski area NH: about 100 feet of vertical spread out over about a quarter mile about 10 acres maybe? 2 trails
    ________
    Dc medical marijuana dispensaries
    Last edited by Justin A.; February 21st, 2011 at 05:40 AM.

I've tried hitting a kicker in my yard before - does that count? I'd say there's a solid 40ft of vert. No lift though.

Ski Martock, around 600 feet

My home "mountain" is Blackstrap, 300 feet of glory.

As for the tallest vertical in North America, I believe it's Blackcomb with 5280 feet. I think the longest single lift might well be the Eagle Express gondola at Kicking Horse which serves nearly 4000 vertical feet.

There's an interesting map here, click on the stats button after all the flash has loaded, you can see overlays of other resorts on top of Whistler/Blackcomb to get an idea of how big that sucker is.

Bittersweet Ski Area!

Vertical: 350 feet (Top 50 feet were added 2 years ago)
    Longest Run: .5 mi
    Acres: 100

Magic Carpets: 1
    Tow Ropes: 6
    Doubles: 2
    Triples: 3
    Super High-Speed Quads: 1

Greens: 7
    Blues: 5
    Blacks: 3

The high speed quad will deliver you to the top in 45 seconds. It can get a bit crowded when 8 bus-loads of hoosiers show up. Its great race training..its like a moving Slalom course...
    Think Snow.

USCSA - United States Collegiate Snowsports Association

I still win^^^^^

Randy S. Guest

been there, boozed that

Originally posted by knoch
    I WIN!!!
    Mt.Brighton in Michigan, you might have recognized it from the fricken awesome movie Aspen Extreme, thats the mound they start on when the train goes by and whatnot. Total vertical = 150 feet, beat that. Oh and even though i don't mention that as my home mountain in my profile, it is, it's just embarassing...
    When I went to U of M, we used to go to Mt. Brighton for something called Midnight Madness. Ski from 12-6am. We'd designate a driver, get dressed and hit the bar in Ann Arbor. Then at 11:00 we'd head for Brighton, along with bota bags and other stuff.

Brighton used to be a trash dump that got big enough so they put trees and a lift on it. What a joke.

I think I know where it is..

When I was travelling in Iowa last year on I-29 S to Omaha, I saw a small brown info sign that said "Ski Resort, next exit" - We looked around and it was totally flat, not a hill in sight and the sign had no resort name. I am sure this may be the smallest ski resort. Next time I am back I will look into it.
    Al

A Professional Amateur Golfer

North of Chicago and North Shore of Lake Tahoe

what about the other half

if we're awarding prizes to the smallest resorts, why not have a few different categories? Sure, Brighton might have the smallest vert, but what about the southern wisconsin pride? One of my home mountains (i like to travel and enjoy all the excellent snowmaking and grooming that wisconsin has to offer), Wilmot Mountain, was built out of a quary that was no longer producing. This behemith standing tall with a vertical drop less than the length of my GS board has 8 lifts and 3 rope tows. Snowmaking capabilities are 100% of rideable terrain, and the early morning cord sings to you as you walk twoards the only quad chairlift on the hill in a high-pitched, heavenly voice that you translates to that perfect hero snow. and in less than 20 turns, your first lap is complete, but the fun has just begun, as the gentelman sitting next to you on the chair and his carharts remarks on the packers-bears rivalry (im from chi-town... DA BEARS)

Why i keep coming back to this resort i am not sure of, but i come for the free ticket and stay for the best january sub-zero hero snow i have ever ridden.

Re: been there, boozed that

Originally posted by Randy S.

Brighton used to be a trash dump that got big enough so they put trees and a lift on it. What a joke.
    So, you've seen the movie Aspen Extreme along with all the other people who truly believe that Mt.Brighton was once a garbage dump. First of all, it's not freakin big enough to have been one, second, that was a rumor started by the movie, i believe the quote was something like "I really need to get away from this garbage dump," but don't hold me too it because it's been a while since i watched it. They still do the 12-6 thing, but only once or twice a season now.

If we had any other Michiganders here i might have some competition for smallest total vertical feet. I'm pretty sure Alpine Valley is darn near the same number, also Canonsburg, and the remnance of Snowsnake, i never even got to ski there, but i took a wiz in their empty parking lot once, and theres one more that might be close in Grand Haven on the back of Five Mile Hill but i have no idea what it's called, and actually, one of you mathmaticians could probably calculate it for me...Its called five mile hill because you can see 5 miles out into Lake Michigan from the top of it, so someone go ahead and figure out the other 2 sides of the triangle for me. Other than those, the only resort i can think of thats under 300 feet of vert is treetops. Ha, okay i'm done ranting for now.

Here is a good list of the places I can remember...pretty much all within 2 hours of my house...wow it's kinda like summit county...

Timberridge Gobles, MI 240 ft
    Mt. Brighton Brighton, MI 230 ft
    Hanson Hills Grayling, MI 225 ft
    Swiss Valley Jones, MI 225 ft
    Treetops Gaylord, MI 225 ft
    Apple Mtn Freeland, MI 220 ft
    Skyline Grayling, MI 210 ft
    Snowsnake Harrison, MI 210 ft

However, the winner is the old Kalamazoo Ski Club located right here in Kalamazoo, MI which closed down a few years ago, but if my memory serves me correctly it weighed in at a whopping 100 vertical feet.
    Think Snow.

bousquet

Bousquet has about 700 Ft. vertical. I think that includes the 20 ft drop from the top of the chair!

www.Bousquets.com

at least we get some good music. KC and the Sunshine band Sunday
    Doobie Brothers July 19
    the Marleys and the neville Bros. later this summer.

let me know if anyone is coming up...

UK slopes of pain

No much in the way of snow in the UK so we make do with 'dry' ski slopes - spiky plastic carpet made for sadistic snowless carving:
    http://www.bracknellskislope.co.uk/skidepartment.php

Al G

This is the winner

My "home" resort. That is, the closest ski area to my house in Etobicoke, Ontario is Centennial Hill.

Vertical drop: 120 feet

1 t-bar, 1 poma and 3 runs.

It was built in the 70's out of landfill - that's right - garbage.

Don't laugh, this is also Bruce Varsava's home resort where he speed tests his Coiler prototypes.

hey ghostrider, i am absolutely certain your info on the vertical feet of mt.brighton is wrong. it's 175 top to bottom.

Oh, and hey, they call that a "resort"? Kinda sounds like a sledding hill to me with zero chairlifts.
    Last edited by knoch; July 6th, 2004 at 03:32 PM.

OH SNAP! I don't wanna pull rank on you...but I will if I have to....Mr. V.P.

Originally posted by knoch
    hey ghostrider, i am absolutely certain your info on the vertical feet of mt.brighton is wrong. it's 175 top to bottom.

Oh, and hey, they call that a "resort"? Kinda sounds like a sledding hill to me with zero chairlifts.
    Hey..I dunno..bust out your measuring tape if you want..but here is what I found..they aren't consistant..but I'm not seeing anything that says 150'

Mount Brighton (230 vertical feet) - http://www.hikercentral.com/ski/resorts/usmidwest.html

Mount Brighton Vertical Drop: 230 Feet -http://www.skimaps.com/page.php?cid=skiarea399

Mount Brighton Vertical Drop: 230 ft - http://www.onthesnow.com/MI/268/index.html

Mt. Brighton Ski Area 250-foot vertical drop - http://www.onlinecityguide.com/mi/howell/main.html

Mt. Brighton - 250' Vertical - http://www.mtbrighton.com **They MIGHT know what they are talking about on that one...**

Signed,
    EL PRESIDENTE!!!!!!!!
    Think Snow.

HOLLY **** it grew. I swear for as long as i have skied there it's been written all over all of there signage and brochures and all the garbage advertising any ski resort would put out. I even have an old trail map of the hill right here on the wall in front of me that states the 175, so thanks for clearifying Bill. Honest to god though i'm not just pullin that garbage out of my head, i'd scan the map and post a pic of it if i had the equipment. Maybe they "decided" that it was 250 feet when they put that new golf coarse in. Heh, i'll bet they finally took the time to measure it with accurate tools during the construction of all those freakin tee boxes in the middle of the runs. Oh well, guess i should have known my map was out of date, still tiny though, it equals about 3 good turns on a carving board on their steep run.

** Pull rank all day long ghostrider, i obviously don't know what i'm talking about, and i'm not going to begin to care either. I sure hope my GPA lets me race this coming season, otherwise my V.P. status won't matter anyways. By the way, since i wasn't there, who nominated me for that position? **
    Last edited by knoch; July 6th, 2004 at 10:26 PM.

braun Guest
    Hope i won!

My nearest resort:
    http://www.dlouhonovice.cz/sportovis....php?tema=vlek
    (bottom of the page)
    Their site says:
    Vertical drop: 40m (cca 120ft)
    Run length: 230m (cca 700ft)

I swear their are cheaters! The length must be much shorter by my opinion, guess 150m.

Their site also says that this resort consists of two runs - understand you can choose go downhill at left side or right side of home made lift
    Last edited by braun; July 8th, 2004 at 04:37 AM.

Thread Information