Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Show your oldies!

Quiver pics 3...

And finally, the older ones along with some extra NOS...
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Forgot one...

Rusty Tri-Hull 168. Just waiting for the next big powder dump!

Quote Originally Posted by torquecarver View Post
    And finally, the older ones along with some extra NOS...
    Love the Performer Elite 150... I saved my paper route money to buy that board in fall of 1986 (9th grade!). Also love the clandestine shot of the 91X sticker.
    I like to make silly carving videos with my GoPro Helmet Hero.

I'd like to pick up another Performer someday. During it's second season I loaned it to a friend and just like what had previously happened to me, both bindings pulled out with the inserts still attached. Well, not wanting to end the day early, we went to the local hardware store and bought some carriage bolts, nuts and washers and just poked holes right through the base and re-attached the bindings. Foam core rules!!
    PS. That's why it's mounted goofy...

91X, eh?

Hey, I know that dude! (station)

Fast Times at Ridgemont High was filmed really close to me too.

I've always preferred 91X over KROQ or any of the other LA/OC stations. But it doesn't always come in clear up here in OC. I got that sticker when they had a booth setup at Snow Summit one weekend. The board it's preserved on is an old Sim's Kidwell that eventually became my trampoline board.

This is at Mammoth circa 1993. I think the board is a Burton Asym Air. Notice the Elfgen tongues on my bindings. And I still have those Wave Rave snowboard pants.

Stylin'!

I thought I would add a tiptic of sorts that I scanned in on a crappy scanner.

1st pic is 1990 on a Burton Performer Elite 140. Boy were those crappy bindings!
    2nd and 3rd are from 1991 on a Burton Air 163(?) which is still in my garage

The pics were taken at Bridger Bowl Montana, my favorite area.

**Edit - BlueB fixed it And a fine job at that!
    Last edited by Futahaguro; October 28th, 2010 at 12:54 PM. Reason: To include details.

Fixed it for you. Email me for the full res image.
    INSTRUCTION | CASI L2 - hard boots all the way! | Vancouver Carvers' Diaries 2013/14 | Items for sale

Found this one.

Going through old photos last night.
    From 1991 at Mount Sunapee (of course)
    riding a Burton Free 6, look closely and you can
    already see I was turning the bindings to a more carving stance.
    EZE

first F2

1991, my first F2 freestyle (I want to say it was the X-Ray)... Also, don't laugh, my mom totally made me pose like that.

Evan
    Spokane

I think I had some shorts like that.

This has been posted before.....

Tell me, and I will forget.
    Show me, and I may remember.
    Involve me, and I will understand.

Hardbooter.com

What A Great Shot!

Skully, you are 'da Man!. Nice knee drop and stylin' threads!!

Mark
    Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest.
    Denis Diderot

Quote Originally Posted by utahcarver View Post
    Skully, you are 'da Man!. Nice knee drop and stylin' threads!!

Mark
    Mark, don't be messin' with the Quicksilver shell, or I might have to pull out photos of the old Marker Wolf Mountain uniforms...

(P.S. I wore the Quicksilver jacket today, in your honor....)

Tell me, and I will forget.
    Show me, and I may remember.
    Involve me, and I will understand.

Hardbooter.com

sweet vintage shot. my first snowboard: gnu antigravity w/ lange zr (super stiff) ski boots in highbacks. was just crossing over from skiing, and hated floppy sorels, so adopted the hybrid boot / binding setup. extra points for oakley factory pilots and, of course, awesome hair.

Farrah Fawcett ain't got nuthin on that head of yours bro.....

Geo
    A carver's haiku-

My board's a scalpel,
    To carve deep ruts in the snow,
    Is my destiny.

Exclamation Sorry

SORRY HAVE NO OLDIES !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
    Mini Carver

Quote Originally Posted by Yoshii View Post
    SORRY HAVE NO OLDIES !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
    Nothing oldy about you, my friend!
    INSTRUCTION | CASI L2 - hard boots all the way! | Vancouver Carvers' Diaries 2013/14 | Items for sale

Some pics from late '80's....enjoy!

Stratton Mtn...I'm still rockin' that vanity plate on my current car, but my mullet is gone (I'm on the left)

Bariloche, Argentina (me in middle)

Bariloche, Argentina

Hunter Mtn, 72 degree day (check out the size 14 Sorels on an M8 (I think this one is from '90 or so)

Oldsnowboards Rule!!

Great shots!! Definitely love seeing the oldschool shots. Brings me back to some great times!! Thanks for the summer buzz!!!
    Personal Messaging is NOT working. Please post your email to make contact.
    SEARCHING TIP: go to GOOGLE and add this to the end of your search terms- site:bomberonline.com

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by icebiker View Post
    Some pics from late '80's....enjoy!

Stratton Mtn...I'm still rockin' that vanity plate on my current car, but my mullet is gone (I'm on the left)

[IMG]
    That Burton on the left was my first board back in the late 80's.
    "Problems cannot be solved at the same level of awareness that created them" -Albert Einstein

More '80's stuff

Here's a few more.... (apologies for high/large res)

TWSnowboarding Mag, First Issue ever, Fall '87

Winterstick and Sims ad (Craig Kelly R.I.P.) in same mag:

Burton Catalog:

Remember when only a few places allowed boarding? (list from Burton catalog):

Also remember when we had to be "certified" before we could even buy a lift ticket?

I have a bunch of old boards in my garage but they're not particularly where they could be photographed at the moment.

Instead here are some old shots from before I had any decent camera gear or had learned how to use what I did have.

This is probably very much the Euro perspective. Burton was very trendy but hugely expensive in the UK - 500 for a board, which is the same as they cost here now, both stupidly expensive. It was cheaper in Finland (where I lived some of the time), but still expensive.

1990-1991 Season/ Wiegele's
    O'Neil powder suits plus Windsurfing Cheimsee gear. All hardbooters except for one. Mostly Niedecker. Middle shot taken from a 195 Lacroix Mono. Antennas are no longer as long as that in the last shot! Wiegele was always snowboarder friendly; CMH had problems with some traditionalists (who once voted me an "honorary skier" because I could ride rings around them).

1992/3 season - Aonach Mor, Scotland

Mark 1 Nitro Scorpion with Fritschi bindings, Dynafit 3F Comp S boots. Scotland (that's a snow fence). 15cm of wet snow on pink granite: the Nitro was the perfect powder board for that, you just had to know where the granite was. On the right is the first line I put in at the summit of the resort that day. I just put line after line down there as I was the only person on the lift. There were no other snowboarders at the resort at all, which was pretty common at the time. Snowboarding was picking up generally, but the UK wasn't leading the charge.

The Scorpion was the first of the "noo skool race" boards in Europe - symmetrical, sensible, quick, revolutionary. Before that the choice was basically Burton Asym-Air clones or straight Asym race boards, which just seemed wrong to me.

1993/4 season - Big White or Sun Peaks?
    I broke the nose of my Scorpion at Vernon, and bought the only Alpine board I could find in BC as a replacement. Later I bought another Scorpion.

Santa Cruz GS board, Sims bindings, Dynafit boots. I think this was Sun Peaks (way snowboarder's right), but it could have been Big White. The purple was very fashionable - I worked in Paris so this was Degre 7/ Patrick Vallecant stuff.

1996/7 Wiegele's
    I may as well finish the oldie sequence... Here's a Burton Supermodel (Mark 1) 168, which was the first real powder board I owned. Riding this, versus riding a race board in powder was night and day: it turned me into the fastest rider in the heli rather than one of the crowd. People still argue about that, but there it is. The first shot is the board plus the Burton step-in bindings of the day, which worked ok for me although they seemed inelegant and you had to watch your fingers. In the back of the shot is my second Scorpion; that one I picked up in Annecy (the first was from Grenoble).
    The final shot is what made me take up photography rather more seriously. This was taken by Lorne Green who was the staff photographer that day. He's rather good. That's the Supermodel in use.
    Last edited by philw; July 12th, 2011 at 10:30 AM. Reason: fix image layout

I had a 174 Supermodel from that same year. That was a great board. Great shape and lots of snap.

I wore it out and then used it as a rock board for a while. Last year I passed it on to a needy boarder. I was sad to see it go.

Yup, I rode the 174 on bigger days - a different colour if I remember right. I've still got my Supermodel somewhere about. Would be a respectable board even today. They were the standard heli-board for years, superseded only by Fish etc.

I still have my 174 Supermodel...'97 IIRC, blue, but a more "royal" blue than the one in the pic, and a lime green base. This is the board that moved me from skidding to carving....beautiful profile. It's still in great shape, too. Don't ride it much anymore, tho.

Found a few more from the "Purple and Teal" era....lol These are approx '91/'92 or so...

Killington's Bear Peak (me on right)

Windham's base lodge (me on left)

Old board, traditional pants, new pic:

Calgary, Confederation Park, Slicker brand snowboard. Big air.

Yes my K-Way is tucked into my bib pants, yes I'm wearing Vuarnets!!!.

K
    Last edited by big canuck; December 3rd, 2011 at 02:22 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information