Thread: Holiday crowds

Holiday crowds

This weekend is the biggest weekend for skiing and riding. My home mountain will be mobbed with people but yet I will still go out riding. Ofcourse I will ride the shortest board I have, for there will be no room to turn anything over a 170cm. If you choose a long board you are putting your life at risk. Coming across a fairly narrow crowded New Jersey slope while low to the ground = DEATH! If you happen to get lucky enough to link a few turns to make a semi-nice run, look out for the MAN. The MAN (ski patrol/mountain ranger) equates large smooth carving turns on a crowded slope with RECKLESS riding. So if you were to make it through the crowds you will be at risk for a torn up pass. I hope your mountain isn't like this. I guess thats how it is when you live within a 60 mile radius of close to 28 million people. Have fun!

Whats the matter JT ? You dont like those 'SLOW DOWN','FAMILY SKI AREA', and 'SKI FAST LOSE PASS' signs they put up every 20 feet.

On weekends I call it the Shooting Gallery.
    Shred till your dead

those crowded days...

What's up jt? I may be able to meet you on Monday (other thread, sorry). As far as crowds go I don't mind them so much. Definitely not my favorite but I' ve found ways to enjoy.

- My brother and I have been carving together for years. When the people start to get dense we follow each other fast and close like sharks hunting for prey on the slopes, getting ridiculously close to the feeble snowplowers and skidders. This WILL get the pass yanked though.

-Wear full hockey gear and just ram through everything in your way. This WILL DEFINITELY get yor pass yanked.

-Practice short speed-scrubbing jump turns at the farthest sides of the trail. (Where the only good snow is on a crowded day anyway in NJ.)

-Lay out some board-over-your-head digustingly tight carves right in the middle of the pipe on the transitions. There's usually a little more room if riders are actually going one at a time. This tends to piss off the park monkeys. This is also fun on the sides of tabletops.

-The snow is usually pretty good in the terrain parks because everybody else is on the rails or hits. Lay down some turns on the good snow or carve under the rails if they are high enough.

-Quit your job and work on the weekends.

I hope to see some other carvers out there, I've met some but I have yet to actually ride with any. I'll try for Monday.

Showcase Gallery!

Yeah, that crazy Presidents' holiday week coming! You just got to deal with the crowds. It comes down to this. Ride or don't ride.

The Shooting Gallery?? Nah! Call it the showcase gallery. This is where you showoff your carving skills to the wanna-be's.

That is the only thing I miss on the weekends. The crowed chairlift going over your head, as they watch you do your G's!

Good advice

That sounds like good advice Erik. I like your style. I will be at south Bear peak provided the racing trail is open. If not I might go up to Devils Bit ( the old grand prix) for a while. I'll hopefully be riding with two other carvers. Hope to see you there.

Thread Information