Thread: Burton FP vs Burton Speed???

Hybrid View

Burton FP vs Burton Speed???

I'm a little confused. I had a Burton FP (151) that I thought had a nice soft flex. Someone (not the seller) talked me nto a Burton Speed (160) and indicated that it was just a little softer than the FP.

Well I got out on the Speed and it is a rock copared to the FP. I can carve it OK, but it needs some gas. Just wondering if my ovservation comparing the flex of both boards is in line with what you guys see.

The Speed was a lot of fun on a GS course.
    I can still do everything I did when I was younger - it just takes more Advil and the bruises turn neater colors.

I thought the Speeds were a little stiffer them the Primes. I've got the 160 and its stiffer then a couple boards that were made for my weight. maybe its the length difference. the 151 was made for a smaller person, so it's softer then the 160 which is stiffer for someone larger? Not sure you can accurately compare stiffness of 2 different models if they aren't the same length. Just a guess.
    Last edited by Galen; January 23rd, 2007 at 12:58 AM.
    Bacon will get you through times of no money better then money will get you through times of no bacon.

While we`re on the subject of Burtons..... Anyone ever ride the R17 models that I often see here in Japan?

I`ve seen then up to 215mm waists and that would suit my 30 mondos perfectly, I`m just not sure about how stiff they are? I think they might be really soft for the Japanese market but really don`t know.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kex View Post
    I wont reply again.

I think it's because of the length... shorter boards are usually for smaller riders.

Quote Originally Posted by surfinsmiley
    While we`re on the subject of Burtons..... Anyone ever ride the R17 models that I often see here in Japan?

I`ve seen then up to 215mm waists and that would suit my 30 mondos perfectly, I`m just not sure about how stiff they are? I think they might be really soft for the Japanese market but really don`t know.
    My 130 lb son has a 154 R17 Addicted and loves it. I'm going to put him on a longer GS board but he doesn't want to give up the Addicted.

My observation on the R17 is that they are quite stiff. My daughter has a 151 Prior WCR and it's a noodle compared to the R17.

BTW, I know there are a couple of R17s in a local shop here. I can check the length and price here for you. I know prices in Japan are high so you might be better off buying in Canada and having it shipped.

Quote Originally Posted by surfinsmiley

I have the R-17 178 200s....

I find it slightly stiffer than the 98-99 FP's... they ride quite similar though..
    BUT.. The FP's i own are smaller in size and hence the stiffness would be different in various lengths.....

The only thing I hate about them is the lack of a tail protector..
    But they ride brilliantly... I love mine...
    Last edited by Blackbird; January 23rd, 2007 at 05:43 AM.

I have both a FP157 bluemetal flake and a Speed 160. The Speed is def. softer than the FP, not by much but its more of a all mountain than the FP. I love the Speed I really learned to carve on it.

Speeds and FP are almost the same. The problem you are having is going from a girls SL board to a high level guys SL board. Of course its going to feel super stiff.

Thread Information