PDA

View Full Version : novice needs help with equiptment

jimbosnow
November 21st, 2010, 07:14 AM
hello my name is Jimbo and I am starting out hardbooting for the first time. I am currently picking out my set up and looking to get into GS racing. I am also broke and trying to save some cash by picking used gear. I am 5'9" 145lbs and athletic

I have found a pair old burton reactor boots in good condition. Can you tell me if this technology is dead? would they be suitable for racing? how much would be they worth?

I have purchased a F2 speedster RS 172 that measures 243mm 200mm 243mm. It looks to be a older model. Would this be suitable for GS racing?

any tips and advice greatly appreciated

Jimbo

scrutton
November 21st, 2010, 08:00 AM
hello my name is Jimbo and I am starting out hardbooting for the first time. I am currently picking out my set up and looking to get into GS racing. I am also broke and trying to save some cash by picking used gear. I am 5'9" 145lbs and athletic

I have found a pair old burton reactor boots in good condition. Can you tell me if this technology is dead? would they be suitable for racing? how much would be they worth?

I have purchased a F2 speedster RS 172 that measures 243mm 200mm 243mm. It looks to be a older model. Would this be suitable for GS racing?

any tips and advice greatly appreciated

Jimbo

It's a start. I race with folks recreationally that ride GS on soft boots and a freeride board. I'm the only hard-booter snowboarder in the mostly ski series. Don't let your gear choice deter you. You can always upgrade later.

The boots, I'd ensure that they fit well with the binding bail you are planning on using. Modern binding bails are slightly narrower to fit the profile of modern boots. I don't know about the Reactors. Do a test fit before buying if possible. It looks like Reactors weren't manufactured beyond 2002, so they should be near free (certainly no more than $75 or so). I'd check the condition of the plastic. Up until last year I was using and racing a set of Burton Megaflex's, which may have been going on for 15 years old. I've since switched to a set of UPZ's which are a lot more comfortable and stiffer.

Depending on the course, a 'tight' GS course which is more like a slalom course, a 172 should do OK. On the faster courses with more space to move, something around 182cm seems to be the standard. See what everyone else is using. I race mostly with skiers who race on 150's (for SL) and 160's (for GS), and they told me the whole season that the course I'm on isn't really a GS course. Still I persisted in using a 182cm GS board. Finally when I tried a 162cm slalom board, my times improved. Funny how that works.

jimbosnow
November 21st, 2010, 08:09 AM
thanks alot for the info. I actually heard the same thing about the courses in the midwest, and of how small they are. I also have a slalom board which is a "brand new" burton factory prime 159. I guess it was the last asymetrical board made. I have not heard of anyone riding a asymmetrical board, dead technology but maybe it will work for me. Looks like I will have to try the two boards out and see what i think,

as for the boots I cant really try them on but I would imagine they would fit with burton race plates. they are listed for 100 bucks.

thanks again