PDA

View Full Version : another wax Q

Louis
December 5th, 2007, 02:41 PM
I waxed my board again yesterday, I let the board dry overnight, is it normal that I can see the distinct circles of the insert now ? Im afraid I burned my base or something, but I can see all the inserts on the base.. it seems hydratated though..

any epinions ?

queequeg
December 5th, 2007, 02:58 PM
Binding suck. I wouldn't worry about it.

RDY_2_Carve
December 5th, 2007, 03:01 PM
This happened to all my boards at my altitude/location.

Well besides my Coiler. Does that mean anything? ;)

r_starr
December 5th, 2007, 03:27 PM
My understanding is that can be prevented by loosening the binding screws before waxing.

Louis
December 5th, 2007, 03:36 PM
No bindings when I wax.. so its not that ?

queequeg
December 5th, 2007, 04:08 PM
No bindings when I wax.. so its not that ?

If the board has been mounted, I would assume that some (minor, if enough) displacement has occurred along the inserts. due to the tension between the insert pack and the bolt within it, and that any such displacement would be retained (if to a lesser extent) even after you remove the bindings.

Louis
December 5th, 2007, 04:23 PM
im always scared of over-tightening..

even if I dont tighten too much, when I remove binding, I hear cracking noise while unscrewing, I guess thats normal.. ?

vapor
December 5th, 2007, 04:40 PM
I wouldn't worry about it if you had the bindings off.Someone can correct me if im wrong but i think what that can be is the inserts cool the wax faster being metal and thats what you see.
As for overtightening the inserts, i like to torque to a specific tightness specified with anything in that situation and use a loctite compund to keep them from loosening.Just dont go overboard with the stuff,you cant just take a torch to it to free up a siezed bolt.

Jrobb
December 5th, 2007, 05:48 PM
I waxed my board again yesterday, I let the board dry overnight, is it normal that I can see the distinct circles of the insert now ? Im afraid I burned my base or something, but I can see all the inserts on the base.. it seems hydratated though..

any epinions ?

Can you still see them after removing the wax? Again, it's not that bad...in fact probably not bad at all. Like Vapor stated, the inserts have a heat sinking ability and cool the wax quicker than the board will cool it.

One thing I noticed and maybe someone can confirm but on carving boards or boards made to use hardboots primarily, the inserts are of larger diameter (the insert base, not the screw size) than insert bases of regular softboot boards. My Renntiger had insert bases that I saw when waxing were between the size of a nickel and a quarter compared to my other boards more like dime sized. So damage from overtorquing inserts on carving boards there's less to worry about pulling inserts out if they in fact have larger bases. Only worry would be to strip the threads which are the same size for softboot and hb boards.

J

RDY_2_Carve
December 5th, 2007, 05:52 PM
I wouldn't worry about it if you had the bindings off.Someone can correct me if im wrong but i think what that can be is the inserts cool the wax faster being metal and thats what you see.
As for overtightening the inserts, i like to torque to a specific tightness specified with anything in that situation and use a loctite compund to keep them from loosening.Just dont go overboard with the stuff,you cant just take a torch to it to free up a siezed bolt.

I think loctite should only be used if you're not taking your bindings off often. I personally take my bindings off my board whenever I wax, and I hot wax after every use, so using loctite seems somewhat silly.

Also it has been mentioned by others that loctite is bad for the epoxy in the boards. Also think about the stress it puts on inserts when removing screws/bindings. You could really damage your inserts.

Sinecure
December 5th, 2007, 06:03 PM
Don't sweat it. Happens all the time.

Louis
December 5th, 2007, 06:09 PM
alright, as long as it rides good, I also noticed that my wax job stay MUCH longer than the tune shop ones..

last time I went to a tune shop, It only lasted for the day and it was getting dry again !

Now it looks better, I did do a poor scraping job though I got to see where I had missed my shot :rolleyes:

Jrobb
December 5th, 2007, 06:22 PM
alright, as long as it rides good, I also noticed that my wax job stay MUCH longer than the tune shop ones..

last time I went to a tune shop, It only lasted for the day and it was getting dry again !

Now it looks better, I did do a poor scraping job though I got to see where I had missed my shot :rolleyes:

of course, you're in it to save money...they're in it to keep getting yours.

J

pebu
December 5th, 2007, 07:11 PM
I'd assume the circles are because of the difference in heat transfers. The inserts are metal which allows for faster heat transfer to the air... They act like heatsinks. So the white circles would just be because the wax dried there a little faster than the stuff around it.

Louis
December 5th, 2007, 07:52 PM
When I scrape it off I'll see how it is, maybe it just dried at different speed, so it remained like that until now.. I'll try to go easy on the tightening next time

wavechaser
December 5th, 2007, 07:55 PM
Binding suck. I wouldn't worry about it.

Ditto - totally normal.

vapor
December 5th, 2007, 08:31 PM
I think loctite should only be used if you're not taking your bindings off often. I personally take my bindings off my board whenever I wax, and I hot wax after every use, so using loctite seems somewhat silly.

Also it has been mentioned by others that loctite is bad for the epoxy in the boards. Also think about the stress it puts on inserts when removing screws/bindings. You could really damage your inserts.

hmm ???Coming from wrenching in a bike shop where everything is cabron/resin ,titanium bolts threaded into aluminum holes and adjusted every other min ,i guess i got it down to a fine art on how much to use. Thats OEM practice as well.
Interesting though you stated that its bad for the epoxy, going to have to do some research on the subject . since i've been switchin up binding on my one board for six heavy use years its got to have the density of a sponge :eek:
just kidding, always love anothers opinion

Surf Quebec
December 5th, 2007, 08:38 PM
Same thing for me.
I've started my own tuning last week, and on the inserts at the rear I see the white circles. The other inserts I can't see as the base is white at front inserts location (Sims Burner).

I went riding tonight and I barely see the white circles now.

I was too afraid of burning the base.